1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller straight up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by texanskan, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller?

1. Yes

165 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. No

197 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The reason it works other than the salaries match up is simple

Miller appears to be a better fit (not a better player but a better fit) for us

They (Minn) gets an expiring deal and we get another assassin from the 3 point line

Now I am not for making any deals minus maybe a small one to move Luther for a pick but this is the only one I see out there that keeps us in good position to not have any bad contracts plus help our current situation

Note. Miller has this and one more season on his contract

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like Miller on this team.. but man, I would have thought we could get more for Artest and his expiring deal. I'd hope we could get a pick out of that, too..

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Miller is having a terrible year, first of all, 9 pts, 32 % 3s. Also, I would think PG is our most urgent need, not to mention, a 1st rounder next year would be nice considering we dont have one.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah if u want to win regular season games.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

miller has been having a bad season this year and has been in and out of the lineup with nagging ankle/elbow injuries...i think he got injured when the rockets played the wolves last month in fact.

problem is that he hasnt looked like the same mike miller of old at all on the wolves....now if we are talking a mix of like ryan gomes and rodney carney then i am all ears

6. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

i would not do it straight up because artest is much better than mike miller. miller is a much better fit than artest, but does not mean you should just trade straight up because their salaries match. that is like saying would the lakers trade odom and gasol for lebron? or would they rather have billups and nene assuming all salaries match (idk if they just hypothetically) billups and nene would fit the lakers better than lebron would because hes similar to kobe...but lebron is much better, just like artest is better than miller in this situation.

so to sum it up, i would not do this straight up, BUT i would do randy foye/first rounder and miller for artest and luther.

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You say that like Ron Artest has some long history of playoff success.

Im not saying Miller is better then Artest, but its not like keeping Artest guarantees us anything in the postseason. I just dont get how you keep saying over and over that Battier is a 15-20 min player but then prop Artest.

Battier is a good defender who is basically a stand still three point shooter.

The Rocket version of Artest is basically a good defender who is basically a stand still three point shooter. Aside from one or two games he has put no pressure on the other teams defense and he has been awful inside the three point line.

Bash Battier for passing up open shots but at least he moves the ball. Even in his best games, Artest has been a ball stopper.

Again, Im not for or against any trade, just want it to make the Rox better. I was ecstatic when the Artest trade happened. Now Im not sure. At this point, with how Ron has fit with this team, do you even think the Rox want to sign him back especially at the 10 million or so range he surely wants.

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Trade Artest for sure but not for Miller, we need someone athletic like the Matrix. Artest does not fit and I doubt he's in the Rox future plans, too bad he's been a good teammate and he's been a professional here in Houston.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I would think we could get more for Artest, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like Miller is kind of a younger version of what we already get from Brent Barry - tall 2/3 who can shoot but lacks the speed to be an effective defender against quicker players.

...I guess if we found nothing better for Artest it wouldn't be bad to add a scorer like Miller...especially since it seems like losing Artest might be addition by subtraction. I mean it's one thing if Artest is stagnating our offense but is shutting down the opposing team's offense too, but so far I haven't seen that really.

10. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

Re-unite Miller and T-Mac. Nice!!!!! McGrady always had that fire in his eyes when they played together. But when Miller got traded away from Orlando McGrady didn't seem the same. Just like when Cat was traded away from Francis. Francis fell apart terribly. I guess best friends does take toll on how you play lol.

Miller for Artest is good. One injured player for another. :D :D . But i hope they keep Artest because when he is healthy and on he is hard to stop. Plus there aren't alot of 2 way players in the NBA and Artest is just a beast when healthy

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Exactly what we need.....jack up more 3's :confused: :confused:

How many open looks do you think he'll get in the playoffs where defenses are really tight and every possession counts? I'd rather have Artest putting pressure on the defense by attacking the basket in the closing minutes of a game.

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

no need more.

13. misticalx

misticalx Rookie

I agree with Bratna8. We have plenty of 3pt. shooters right now and with Miller being in and out all season makes me sell this idea. That said, I saw Artest limping a little last night late in the game. I'm wondering if that injury is going to plague him the rest of the season and into the next. We made need to let him go, but there has got to be a better option out there. I say we use him along with someone else to get Amare.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd do this trade in a second. nothing against artest as he's a fine player but so far in limited games he doesn't look like a great fit.

most likely we're gonna keep artest though so the good news is we haven't really seen them together.

15. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

NO, NEVER!

Ron can score and play awesome Defense where as Miller was not knowing for that.

If you want to trade, trade Battier with someone else.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If we're going to trade Artest, there's no point trying to acquire another wing player. We're overloaded at that position as is. Artest would need to be packaged with some other players to acquire a solid PG that can shoot straight.

May I suggest Artest and Brooks for Jason Terry. Does Carlisle have a decent enough relationship with Artest to like that deal? Dallas doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so maybe they'd do it.

Terry's got 4 years left, 9 million per. And he's 31. That's the downside. But he's a proven scorer on good teams, he's a vocal leader, and he can flat out shoot the ball. It looks pretty good on our end. Dallas would be freeing up a lot of cap space.

Dallas Mavericks

Incoming Players
    Photo: Aaron Brooks
    Aaron Brooks
    Salary: $1,045,560 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 10.0 REB: 2.1 AST: 2.6 PER: 12.78
    Photo: Ron Artest
    Ron Artest
    Salary: $7,400,000 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 16.1 REB: 5.5 AST: 2.8 PER: 14.74

Outgoing Players: Jason Terry

Houston Rockets

Incoming Players
    Photo: Jason Terry
    Jason Terry
    Salary: $9,196,000 Years Remaining: 4
    PTS: 20.3 REB: 2.5 AST: 3.8 PER: 20.09

Outgoing Players: Aaron Brooks, Ron Artest

17. The_Yoyo

as much as i hate that guy on the mavs...he would be a huge boost for the team here... with his scoring and finishing in the lane...he brings the same type of arrogance/toughness as artest

i just wouldnt want to give up brooks in the deal...the thought of giving a young talent to the mavs sickens me

18. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

No. Mike Miller doesnt bring enough to warrant a trade for Artest. Artest does jack up jumpers, but he does drive the ball, with his "bulldozing" runs like Clyde and Bill say. If it wasnt for Artest, we would've lost to the Jazz who had no Okur, Boozer or Millsap, and played with 2 rookie centres.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You got to give up something to get something. I think Terry would be much more useful for us than Miller would be, just looking at the rest of our roster. Jason Terry is bonafide. He could be our Mo Williams.

20. The_Yoyo

dont get me wrong i would do an artest for terry deal straight up in a blink of an eye

i just dont like having to throw in brooks who is a young promising talent who could contribute to the mavs long after terry's contract is over