1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. marinara

marinara Member

Lmao 25 million for CWOOD.

He is worth no more than what he is being paid now. His worth 15 million a season.

If anyone wants to actually break down his game, and how it impacts our young guards I’m more than happy to do that but putting it lightly on offense everything he does is for HIM to score. His weak as screens that he sets to slip to the 3 point line etc.

Go break down the way he plays I honestly hate it.

People talking about his height etc, he offers barely any rim protection apart from weak side help occasionally. Sengun is as much as a rim protector as Wood is and his younger and cheaper.

BHannes2BHonest, CHAMPBOY and saleem like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wood packing his bags if he's benched.

The main issue with Wood is that he thinks he's the franchise player, the #1 option, when really that's the role he should have. Coming off the bench for a scoring punch like Ego did for all those years.

4. Landry's Tooth

You're exaggerating according to the data...

Wood's worst dbpm since coming here is -.4. He's never had a negative full box plus minus since getting here.

Kanter was a minus 2 or worse 5 years in a row and the ony 2 years of his career close to Wood are 2 out of the last 3.

The other metrics are similar story.

Wood's offense helps more than his defense hurts...

Just the data... not opposed to trading him or extending him depending on details...

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t mind a reasonable extension as long as it is tradable down the line. What they cannot do is create another John Wall contract situation that we end up being stuck with.

7. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Yay more pouty faces at halftime.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He won’t take anything reasonable, and if you do something like 4/100 he becomes a big negative asset that we will have to dump picks to get rid of. Just trade him please

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets signed an extension with Wood, Clutchfans will have an epic meltdown. Clutch will need to buy a new server.

13. dmoneybangbang

Again..... the Rockets wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they hadn't talked extension with Wood. Gives them information and options.

14. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I like that his name is circulating the media...

Hopefully he's gone on draft night. He's a good player when engaged and motivated, but he and the Rockets need to part ways for mutual benefit.

Really don't see a way We keep Wood with a probable F/C rotation of PB/Alp/Garuba/2nd 2022 1st rd pick. Not enough minutes for everyone to play and develop, even if Wood is his best self (which he won't be here).

15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yeah I remember THAT C-Wood very fondly!
    Can't recall his defensive proficiency offhand (couldn't be worse) but before the 1st time he hurt his ankle that year he was looking like a STUD overall!
    He was averaging over 22 and 11 and looking like a LOCK for the all-star game.
    And it didn't stop when Harden was traded.

The main difference I remember about that C-Wood was that he was driving and finishing at the rim THRU contact!
    He was like a man on a mission.
    THAT Christian Wood was easily worth 20m per and maybe even more.

But alas I have yet to see him return to that level of player since then.
    Ever since those ankle injuries he hasn't been the same for whatever reason.
    He doesn't drive inside with the same purpose and can be bumped off and bullied at times.

I wish that early 2021 Christian Wood would return!

And I don't buy giving him a free pass on defense just because your coach doesn't emphasize it and won't call ANYONE out for a lack of it.
    You've got to have some pride in your game!

D-rock likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Duncan Robinson's extension was a bit of egg on Riley's face. 90m extension. $16m - 19m pey year range in the remaining years. Likable dude in the locker room, decent worker. But his defensive ceiling was known. He's unathletic and slow for his position. And unplayable when it counted. Cheaper shooters in his mold are out there.

Like Wood, Duncan was an undrafted player. ... cautionary tale for Stone. Players, who recieve a big extension, don't just magically get better. What teams saw in that person's contract year might be his best already.

I don't mind giving a Wood an extension, but it absolutely can't be an overpay, negative asset. If on a reasonable deal, and a disgruntled star goes on the market, Wood (on a good contract) plus Ego could get you that trade.

It's likely a salary bump, enough where it's not insulting but can't be overpay. $16m - $19m per. is fair.

#176 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He wants to b a max player, we shouldn't waste money on him. Trade please

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yep trade him. Good player sometimes but I want to see the offense handed over to the fearsome foursome of Green, KPJ, Sengun and Banchero on the offensive side. That is plenty of scoring and plenty of hub. Nix will complement everyone as the backup PG and we are set. Just don't have the shots for Cwood.

19. DaneB

DaneB Member

What if we gave Wood a highly incentivized contract? That way we can pay him for what he’s worth, then if he hits certain bench marks or accolades he will get paid more. If he picks up his D and plays within our offense, he could be very valuable at a steal of a deal. Maybe even make only part of his contract guaranteed?

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sign him up baby.... $20M - $25M per! I think he's worth it. He's only as good as the players around him, same for any other player.

LeBron couldn't make the playoffs when he first got to LA. When they traded away the young players and surrounded him with veterans and another star, he won the championship.

Not saying Wood is LeBron but the analogy is similar. Any player will look better if he is surrounded by better players.