1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes it’s pretty ridiculous how some on the forum harp on the Theis and Nwaba signings as horrible blunders by the FO. It was really no big deal as we have seen. Really didn’t cost us anything. Theis was easy to move and Nwaba’s salary makes no difference to us over the next year or two even if they don’t move him. Who knows maybe he can develop a 3 pt shot and become a really valuable role player for us or someone else. The jury is still out on Stone as a builder of the roster, but as evaluator of talent I think he has been excellent. Expect the Rockets to take a couple of other flyers on guys like Theis and Nwaba somewhere down the road.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Mediocre w trades

what he hasn’t done speaks more volumes to me

this thread shouldn’t exist because wood should’ve been traded at the deadline to free up playing time for SixGun and Garuba etc..

Gordon should be gone too.

Remember the “we have first rounders ready for Olapido” lol.

That’s why I say mediocre. Harden wouldn’t better a package like that regardless of the GMs competency. I’m just judging what I see…

A Draft Grade
    C Trade Grade
    F Free Agency Signings

the key word is SO FAR… he has only
    Been on the role a short time so I believe (and hope) he continues to improve

fattz and BamBam like this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Quitter, yall are hung up on ONE game that he pouted because he was benched for a dumb reason. Then he came back after the allstar break and absolutely killed it. I don't care how bad he is at defense (not that bad if he wasn't forced to play C) 70% ts and 46% from 3pt after the allstar is legit. So much so that they actually won a couple of games and had to shut him down to tank. Yeah Jalen and kpj went off without him, and never sniffed another win again.

I'm cool with trading Wood, I like Sengun more anyway and want to clear room for him. I'm also ok with keeping him depending on who we draft at 3. Last year was completely disfunctional so everyone is going to look bad, but it seems like Wood is the only one being held accountable for contributing to wins, when everyone else gets a free pass. Irony is that Wood is one of the only players on the team who actually did contribute to the few wins we had, according to any advanced metric you look at. I'm just happy that the front office is analytical and level headed as opposed to these emotional pissy fans.

BelgianRocketsFan and joshuaao like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If he’s willing to take something like 3/20 or 3/25 i would probably do it so he has some trade value but nothing over 10/year

5. conquistador#11

So much this.
    If you were to go back and search my posts on Wood from before the 2021 season, You would find me begging to keep him.
    Last season, he showed little effort on defense and offense, just wanted to get his.
    To steal from Lovie, sometimes divorce is good for both parties. Wood can give that 2020 effort with a Lebron and AD or teams with leadership that can absorb some of his immaturity. Poster doesn't mention the fit when Wood decided not to shoot or the 'suspension'. If we had a coach that could get him to buy into the team concept, it would be a different thing . But I didn't see it from Wood wanting to change into that player, a leader. The talent is there.

payaso likes this.
  6. TheBeastSystem

Assuming Stone is "trying to sign a guy to an extension" just because there are extension talks is a mistake. Anybody questioning Stone's judgment after making that false assumptive judgment of Stone's motives in extensions talks has questionable judgment.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but judging Stone for trades he did not make when you have no idea what was offered is absurd.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dude, stop, he got a little mad, **** like that has happened for YEARS....hell Hakeem faked a leg injury to get a new contract.

We were tanking, no one was playing defense, Wood knows we are tanking all the guys know that - so they aren't going to give it their all, they know they want a high pick.

This year, Silas is going to focus on defense, why waste a whole year and not do that? Because they were tanking.....so none of them played hard.....at times.

Wood is no different he knows the score, now if we focus on D and he continues to not play D, then you sit him down, tell him what is expected, and if he doesn't do it.....trade him.

But, got to give everyone a chance when we are ACTUALLY TRYING TO WIN.
    DD

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

3 years @ 60? Team option?

This way he gets another chance at a big contract at 28, if he opts out and test free agency in 24-25? I would trade him at draft thou. Rockets need to somehow take John Wall contract expiring in 2023 and sign a big free agent. Wood might be good as 3rd o 4th option around (Max player 23) with Green + Banchero?

Bo6, joshuaao and DaDakota like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see it impacting JG’s development. KPJ too. Who cares about wins at this point?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

how hilarious we had people whining about having a 23 year old Jarret Allen and this overpay fiasco about keeping him who ended up on a solid deal. And now these folks are advocating extending a mediocre player in Wood is the right move.

[​IMG]

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’ve never seen a single person say Allen was an overpay. Trading him away has been Stone’s single worst move IMO.

13. marinara

marinara Member

He hasn’t got the trade value the rockets are after. Everyone on Clutch Fans thjnk his worth a lottery pick, yet the no one is even willing to give a late 1st rounder for him.

Speak facts and people say you have agendas, people on this forum are weird IMO.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

because he isn't overpaid. the point was folks were whining about not being able to afford him as the reason to not keep him

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please elaborate, how is it impacting them to play with a talented player, if the coach has created a clear hierarchy?

DD

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

KPJ is 5 years younger and actually plays defense. What’s Wood’s excuse?

And bringing up Dream? Really?

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

meaningless conjecture...

Maybe they want to resign him and keep him - and maybe they want to hammer out an extension to enhance his trade value...
    "We can offer Wood... he's in the final year of his contract - but has agreed to an extension of x years for y dollars..."

I see it as nothing but due diligence... so we got our ducks in a row and ready to transact business as opportunities become available....
    Whether Wood is worth more as an expiring - or having already agreed to an extension... remains to be seen...

#98 kjayp, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    glynch likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Throw them H's Up CWood!

Snow Villiers likes this.
  20. Damion Laverne

3/45. Nothing more.