1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Look, Stone tried to sign an injured Oladipo so I’m not putting anything past him. I question his judgement. We’ll see what happens on draft night and the rest of the offseason, but this org doesn’t seem to care about holding players accountable. Apparently they like to reward guys who play for themselves and quit on their team. I want to pout and refuse to check back into a game, while being paid $14 mil, and then get lucrative contract extension. Awesome example to set!

i don’t want guys like that; I just don’t. And I can’t figure out why folks would make excuses and reward that behavior.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMHO Wood projects to being a net positive in a roll on a good roster.

Wood didn’t sign up for a total tear down, rebuild. I feel he’s handled things net positively.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm going to extend some faith where it is probably not due and say any extension talk was probably 1-sided - "hey how about you lock me up for $40mm per!" - and that the Rockets don't mind if people think they're interested for disinformation purposes.

mikenm268 and JayGoogle like this.
  4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yeah so far he's been bad in free agency. That's what Rookie GMs do.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Its REAL...It's June. Wood is getting that extension

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

with this FO and ownership stupidity doesn't surprise me.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

When are we gonna start signing guys because they actually help the team and not for the usual nonsense like “he can be traded for assets” or “this deal can be used as salary filler in a trade?”

Nwaba…useless signing

Theis…useless

that was even the rationale used on here for offering Dipo an extension…”he’ll be more valuable in a trade with more years on his deal”

ha, imagine if he had actually accepted the offer…his ass would still be here, with zero value

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Theis was a bad fit. I think Nwaba is an energy player who couldn't get on the floor.

I think Wood needs another yr and another veteran to play beside him. I think if this team could trade for Myles Turner, we could really see Woods value.

However, I'm thinking the Rockets are looking at pairing Wood with Banchero and possibly a defensive center or a 3 and D SF

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yall are so delusional about Wood on this board that its getting silly. He was by far and away the best player on the team last year. He is a good player, good enough to be 3rd best on a contender. But as the best player playing next to a pile of trash(and most rookies are trash their first year), the team lost a ton of games so you blame him for it. AD couldn't even win games on his own and he is much better than Wood, how the hell are you going to expect Wood to lead a team to wins. Kevin Love, Chris Bosh(other 3rd wheels) couldn't lead their own team to wins, but Wood should?

And funny thing about playing second, or third or fourth fiddle like some of you want him to do next up Green, kpj etc. Wake me up when any of them are 50% fg 40% 3pt and 60% ts. Otherwise you just want to waste possessions because your feelings are hurt.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We as fans are never happy and think we can do better. If it were that easy, every team would win a Championship.

They see Wood everyday and know what he can offer vs other players in the league, what they can offer in way of salary, etc.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

folks trying to tell others that people are being delusional about Wood.

[​IMG]

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Boston took Theis without Rockets having to send assets to unload him. That's basically Boston treating Theis's contract as appropriate.

Nwaba...I think that contract is an overpay, but I think it was done mostly to have a small contract (i.e., Nwaba was in right place at right time) for salary matching purposes without extra money having any meaningful impact on cap space after 2023 (or before).

I see no bad guaranteed contracts past this season.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

speak for yourself. I was plenty happy prior to Tilman destroying this team and organization

who cares if they see Wood everyday. We see wood on the floor and know he's nothing more than a role player in regards to impacting the game

BHannes2BHonest and clos4life like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah they took Theis cause they never wanted him to leave. The rockets as that sucker did them a favor by paying him, then they got him back by getting rid of someone they didn't need less than a year later

15. maj21

maj21 Member

Best player?!? Don’t forget we have Sengun!! Who will go down as the greatest player in NBA history. At least that’s how everyone on here acts lol

palmsnbananas likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did the Rockets accept any salary that has any affect on cap space in 2023, the earliest the Rockets could have cap space or was easily moved?

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I've been backing Wood since he arrived and been saying the same things. If AD, Love and Bosh couldn't win big with their teams as their main player, how can Wood, when he's playing with rookies and 1st yr players?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter. the rockets are now that sucker team to overpay players, cause no one is going to come here. So they have to sign someone. Theis wasn't getting anywhere close that money anywhere else. Called that from moment they signed him

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just another defense doesn’t matter fan take. Also ignoring the offensive explosion of Green and KPJ once they were relieved of his presence. It’s funny how so many on the board absolutely rake incomplete college players at the top of the draft like Jabari, saying they will just be role players and want to pay a decent role player on a good team near max dollars. Signing Wood to an extension would be extremely stupid unless you already have a trade set up that allows the acquiring team to dump some salary while giving up a higher draft pick. The only other scenario that would make sense is if he is willing to sign for his current 14m which is about right for a role player with so many faults in his game.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Damn! I forgot about Sengun