1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

giving Wood an extension would be just another dumb move added to the resume of this FO and organization

BHannes2BHonest, clos4life and thekad like this.
  2. TheBeastSystem

Extending him makes it easier to trade him to a contender as long as they like the contract.

Nobody wants to give up a first for a guy that's going to walk on the after one season.

every team that's interested in trading for Wood wants to know what extension he'll sign.

BigMaloe, glynch, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I love it. Wood will prove y’all wrong next year.

maj21 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How is he going to do that when he's no longer at the top of the pecking order on the offensive end of the ball? I expect Green, Porter and (if we pick him) eventually Banchero to take most of the shots for the starters. If you mean prove us wrong in regards to the intangibles--setting proper picks, playing defense, hustling, etc--sure I'd welcome that with open arms but what makes you think that he'll take it up a notch if he's no longer playing for a contract but, rather, has an extension signed?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not exactly. He obviously wants a big contract. If he gets an extension and accepts that means they're over paying for a mediocre player.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

April Fools

Bo6 and alethios like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is true if its the right number. He makes 14 now, what will he take to re-sign? If it’s 20/year is that the number other teams would see as reasonable? Would Wood take 20? If it takes 25 that’s a huge gamble. If the Rockets re-sign him it’s not to trade him after playing in games this season, it would have to be something that is pre-arranged. In my opinion, if they re-sign him it’s because they seem him as a core player (ugh).

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets will not offer an overpay unless some other team wants it. Stone is all about flexibility and is more likely to let Gordon and Wood walk than overpay.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure he is. Is that why he went and overpaid Theis and gave him that dumb contract or signed Nwaba when hes nothing more than a vet min

BHannes2BHonest and Reeko like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. I TRIED TO TELL THEM BUT THEY WON'T LISTEN
    !

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

This is what I was imagining. A chance for a team that trades for Wood to feel more secure. I think someone else (@Hemingway ) mentioned the terms would be the key: $20M / year and under = value vs. anything over $25M / year = overpay.

Need to find that sweet spot. Maybe a deescalating contract like...
    Year 1: $23M
    Year 2; $21M
    Year 3: $19M
    Year 4: $17M

or something along those lines....

Rockets pick up part of 1st year if he gets traded and new team is paying under $20M per year for a 20/10/.38 3's F/C (3rd / 4th wheel).

That's my rose-colored glasses view.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Neither of those situations are comparable. You act like Theis made huge money — he made 9 mil a year, hence why we were able to move him so easily. Nwaba’s contract is a positive because his figure makes him an easy toss-in to equalize money in trades.

joshuaao and charlieaustin like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Why wouldn't they be. Theis was clearly overpaid and so is Nwaba. People always try to say this but it doesn't really happen around here. We're still sitting here waiting on EG being moved when its way overdue

Nook likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sign and trade, sweet.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Stone tried to max Oladipo and thought John Wall was a viable second star. No evidence he won’t overpay for mediocrity.

Dobbizzle, Aruba77 and YOLO like this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I could see it as Stone hoping he ask for more than what they are willing to give him so they have a reason to trade him

*Didnt read the article though

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

if a team actually wanted Wood so bad, they’d trade for him now and try to extend him their damn self

“extension makes him easier to trade”…lol, yeah, after the Rockets give him 20+ mil/yr and he’s fighting for touches with Green, Porter, Banchero, and Sengun and puts even more of his selfish attitude on display, I’m sure teams will come rushing

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is going to be the lineup;

SF- Wood
    PF- Banchero
    C- Garuba or Bruno
    PG- KPJ
    SG- Green

maj21 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member