1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying. I'm just a big believer in the PG position's primacy. A floor leader, a coach on the court, someone to impose some order, someone who can relentlessly hound the opposition's ball handlers... We don't have that, and it's been a glaring need.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Curious who you think does have that? Phoenix, New Orleans, Boston, maybe a few others but predominantly the NBA has changed and pure pg’s are passé

D-rock and eman like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Very misleading click bait thread. I read the article and nothing in it says he extended. These are rumors and talks but it could very well just be formality and stone posturing to up Woods trade value. This article is simple filler for off season. Good job click baiting me though I was almost upset.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  4. eman

eman Contributing Member

Brunson, Holliday, Jones, Brogdon, and Lowry (still!) are good PGs, off the top of my head, when they're semi-healthy. And yeah, I've noticed the trend toward positionless, switching teams. An inferior product, to my taste-- but it's just a matter of taste-- and one I suspect will fade when the next Magic Johnson shows up.

My fingers are crossed for Nix.

#244 eman, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Part of me thinks this is just optics on behalf of the Rockets. They gave Wood the opportunity and he delivered beyond his contract, he then went on record saying he doesn't want to be anywhere else. They have a good relationship w him and want to continue to be a player friendly org. Trading a guy about to get a near max and who says he wants to be on the worst team in the NBA has to be done gently, not only for the reputation of the franchise w their players, but also in retaining his trade value by appearing to be someone they want to keep and find value in.

These are just discussions for now, so maybe by the Rockets low balling him early, he isnt as offended. If the conversation is more like "you've done incredible, you are valued, we'd like to keep you on board and this is what we can do" vs. waiting until the last minute and making things awkward in a rushed exit. We really don't know what his true contract expectations are, and his willingness to take any discounts to stay. If he asks for a max, and the Rockets can't do it, then it is better to start letting him know that they will work on getting him somewhere that will pay him want hes looking for.

The other reason to maybe make this public is maybe for misdirection, to get teams to jump to the same conclusion clutchfans did here in thinking it effects who they will take in the draft. So far seeing the post of Stone at dinner w Paolo leads me to believe they are still taking him at #3. I don't really see the benefit of any misdirection, but I am sure there is some.

This type of "story" benefits both the team and Wood, since it helps his contract value look better, vs just saying you have no intention of keeping him because clutchfans hates him.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Just wanted to come in here and LOL again at the wood is so valuable folks

Another big fat L for the casuals who keep telling themselves wood has so much value

red5rocket likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

The roster is coming more into focus with his exile.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

One for the books for sure: Wood goes out to throw the 1st pitch less than a week ago for his very first baseball game ever and proceeds to tell everyone he has extension talks. Then gets dumped. LOL

aaquaa likes this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

This aged well.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dallas decision now.

DD