1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams to seek reinstatement

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Guru, Sep 17, 2007.

1. msn

msn Member

Ah, relativism. The stupidity and moral failures of two or three Rockets, none of which I condone btw, do *not* make Ricky Williams's moral failures acceptable.

I'm all for giving the guy another chance one the strict condition that he doesn't create a distracting media circus or quit on his team (again). It doesn't seem all that likely, but I believe in 2nd (and 30th) chances.

But that doesn't make what he did right. Even if a law is wrong, it's wrong to break it.

2. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

so, let's pretend that tmac's guilty. you want him immediately removed from the rockets roster, right? :rolleyes:

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Paternity Suit=wanting MORE money. she already gets child support
    Throat Slashing=witnesses saying it was total BS and video showing it as well

that said, I would take Ricky in a heartbeat

but your statement was weak

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Attention potheads, just because you smoke weed does mean it's an acceptable thing to do. When I was in college, I had had my fun with the plant too. It was wrong and I knew it then and I damn sure know it now. I wrote it off as worth the minimal risk of getting caught doing it. As you get older, you will gain more responsibilities in your life and then you will see it's not worth even a minimal risk. Ricky Williams was in that position as soon as he started getting million dollar paychecks. If getting high is more important than earning that paycheck by being eligible to play every Sunday,then we don't need that kind of guy on our team.

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

I dont think I implied that. My arguement is that you cant compare their characters when a) It's not illegal to have a baby's mamma and b) you can't reserve judgement JUST because there are charges (or in this case, claims?), when there is concrete evidence and no discussion on whether or not ricky williams is a drug user.

People need to calm down with this guilty before proven innocent stuff. So to answer your question, no.

6. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Football standpoint- Sure he can help

Reality standpoint- Bob McNair (of the Arch Republican anti evolution suing McNairs) (and don't hate on me...I like Bob McNair, but we aren't gonna be the Raiders under his watch) owns the team

7. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Mal, I had no idea you posted on this site.

8. Tracy McIverson

attention naysayers, just because you are a huge weiner doesn't mean it's the acceptable thing to do

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Green's injury was serious, I would consider bringing in Ricky just for a look. He would fit our 1-cut scheme to the T. With that said, there is basically no chance McNair brings him in.

10. msn

msn Member

Who's whining? It's against the law. Not that difficult a concept to grasp.

11. Jewvenile

Jewvenile Member

All you guys saying that ricky would NOT be good for the team have no idea what your talking about, he is HIGH reward and LOW risk. If he creates any distraction or anythign, cut him. IF hes great then we have solved the running back situation. What he did may not have been right but at least give the guy a chance. I believe in 2nd chances (yes that means 3rd and 4th and so on). Give the guy a break and let him play ball

12. msn

msn Member

Sure they know what they're talking about. You don't have to agree, but they're not being idiots.

Agreed, to an extent. However low, the risk is definitely there: a media circus and/or Ricky getting a highlight or two on ESPN before "retiring" to Hawaii to smoke weed. The reward could be high, or he could have lost a step or three.

I believe in second chances, too. He's had his breaks, though; let's not pretend that everyone did him an injustice and blocked him out.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Major Malcontent nailed it on the button. McNair would never sign Ricky Williams. Nevah.

14. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Indeed I do...who is this...Chandler maybe? Cool to see ya..small world.

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Yeah I woudl try him out. Imean he never murdered anyone. he just likes his stuff. But he woudl fail the first drug test he took.

16. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Go fire up another joint, that might make your comeback seem funny.

17. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Nope, not Chandler but I am from the baseball boards.

I sent you a pm just now.

18. Guru

Guru Member

From a football standpoint, I don't see how its not a good move. Low risk, high reard. A RB combo of Green/Williams/Dayne or Gado is a lot better than Green/Dayne/Gado.

As for his puffing, that can be fixed with a PR spin.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

PR can only do so much...Ricky has been caught too many times with the same crap to spin it. He's been kicked out of the NFL twice...the 2nd time coming only months after being reinstated. IIRC...he was then denied reinstatement a 3rd time because he failed the drug test.

Coming from a Longhorn, Ricky is someone we'd like to forget after he left the 40 Acres. But if Green gets hurt somehow this season...I'd much rather go with Ricky/Dayne than Dayne/Gado.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Guilty of what?