1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams to seek reinstatement

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Guru, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Guru

Guru Member

Ricky Williams is eligible to come back after Oct 1st. At 30 years old and very limited mileage, does he have any thing left in the tank that can help the Texans? I think Green/Williams would be awesome. If the Dolphins don't sign him, can the Texans; and would they?

2. msn

msn Member

Just say no.

He'd be a good fit for the Cowboys.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Williams stated that he would like to play in Texas but I don't see anyway that would happen. No way the Texans consider him and even though Jerry is kinda nuts, they have no need for another RB.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd take him. McNair wouldn't. He's not a "character" guy.

Maybe Bud Adams will sign him and have the press conference in Houston.

5. msn

msn Member

But he has such a consistent strategy for managing stress in his life.

6. updawg

updawg Member

I'd take him. He's not a bad guy, just likes to smoke weed. That doesn't make him a bad character guy

7. msn

msn Member

I disagree completely! If one thinks he knows better than the law, and as such behaves with no regard for it, that's bad character. He should take his ass somewhere where it's legal if he has no moral qualms with it. Of course, it's a self-control issue (which is also a character issue, tyvm). Look at dude's professional career, and you will see that he has *no* self-control.

Thanks, but no thanks.

You want me to call Ricky a "good character guy"? Tell him to obey the damn law like the rest of us. Then I'll listen.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It makes him a Houstonian! :D

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't want to make this a debate on weed, but I'm guessing there's a relatively big number of people who have rooted for him in the past that partake.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Smoking weed doesn't make him a bad character guy. The fact that he couldn't seem to stop smoking weed for his teammates makes his character questionable. I'd still give him a shot, but I almost guarantee that McNair wouldn't sign off on it.

11. msn

msn Member

Understood. My point is, regardless of whether a law has merit, if it is a law it should be followed, and appropriate measures, in the proper arena, can be taken to challenge it.

What if somebody decided the defensive driving law isn't necessary? How about child molestation? Yes, those things are obviously worse in terms of who normally gets hurt than weed-smoking, but if we begin to ignore parts of the law based on someone's arbitrary opinions and preferences, where is the line to be drawn? I promise you, if we have 100 people in a room we'll have 100 different lines drawn.

Here's the best line, and it's the one that's already drawn: obey the freaking law.

So that makes it acceptable??? I am a partaker of neither situational ethics nor "comparative" ethics, as it were.

And therein lies the heart of the irritation for me. I'm all for guys getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. But if we were to sign a Ricky Williams (or God forbid, in 3 or 4 years, a Mike Vick), I'd be holding my breath all preseason for the day I see his mug on the news and he's sitting in jail somewhere, retiring from the NFL, or what not. Because his appetite is more important than his responsibility to his family, his employer, his teammates, and his fans.

Screw him and the bong he rode in on.

12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He's a good fit for the Texans, our RB's are set.

13. right1

right1 Member

How many players on the Texans 53 man roster do you think have smoked ganja? My guess is 41. We know Amobi has :D . He admitted it.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Seeing as many Horns fans make fun of Wicky and he's not from Houston, no.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was going to say yes, but after reading this thread, I say no. I don't want all the game threads to turn into drug debates.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No...we don't need any potential disruptions with the team chemistry right now. Not that he directly would impact it, but I think some of the guys on the team wouldn't like it because he's quit on teams before.

Say what you want about Ron Dayne, but in certain situations he's very effective (mostly when we have a lead). He might not be explosive, but he wore out that Carolina defense in the second half. Even if they would've made it more interesting at the end, we could've easily marched down the field again if we had needed too because he took a lot out of them.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what, with the team being 2-0, I think the fewer distractions the better.

Pass.

DD

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Just because something is the law, doesn't make it right.

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Right or wrong is a matter of one's opinion. Legal and illegal is not. Like it or not, there are laws that we must go by. Some are inane (I think I should be able to go 70 on MoPac instead of 65) and some aren't (murder is wrong, mmmkay?), but regardless, you have an obligation to your team and the people who depend on you to abide by the laws (and in this case, the league guidelines) that govern us.

20. msn

msn Member

Agreed. However, that's not the point. Many people disagree about wrong versus right. That's why we all agree to hold ourselves to a set of laws. When people start arbitrarily ignoring laws because they don't "agree", you have disorder in society.

Like I said earlier, there are appopriate arenas for challenging laws. Blatantly breaking them is not an appopriate one.