1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams to seek reinstatement

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Guru, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

I think I'm in the minority here, but if Ricky was interested in the Texans, I'd jump on that for a variety of reasons:

1. He's never bailed on a team mid-season
    2. When he did come back last time, he came back in much better shape/condition than people expected
    3. He'd be low-risk, low-cost. If he doesn't work out, cut him.
    4. He has stated multiple times that he's happier / more stable in Texas - not sure why, but so be it.
    5. Ahman Green is a pretty high injury risk, and having both of them would add a lot of stability to a position with limited depth.
    6. When healthy, he has the potential to be an elite back in the league. If he's gotten things straight, he solves the RB problem for the next few years since he's had relatively little wear & tear on his body.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree with hesitation. He would definitely need to come low cost.

3. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

Yeah, but it makes for a bad family atmosphere if you're watching the Texans with your 7-year old son and you have to tell him it's okay for Ricky to smoke weed and break rules.

4. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

That being said, I'd take Ricky from a football standpoint.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why do you have to tell your son it's okay? Ricky has been suspended from the league and owes his former team better than $8 million. I'm pretty sure he's paying his dues.

6. msn

msn Member

I agree with this.

I also see Major's point.

In my mind, there is absolutely no questioning his bad character. But I'm all for giving guys 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances. Like Major said--if the Texans could cut him before he caused to much of a TO-style side circus/meltdown, the way he did in Miami, and if they don't waste a lot of coin on the risk, then go for it.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or you can explain to him that Ricky blew what could've been a great career by continuing to break the rules. Also explain to him the punishment that he's received throughout his career for not following the rules.

I agree with Major. I think it'd be worth a shot.

8. Jewvenile

Jewvenile Member

Ricky Williams to the TEXANS?!?!

I heard he is available for reinstatement next month. I think the texans shoudl look at him. Do you think he would be a good backup/possible starter with ahman green? He would be very little risk and huge possible reward.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

No, it's puff puff, then pass...

10. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

I wouldn't mind him on the Texans at all, but I see RiceDaddy's point. I mean sure, you could explain verbally that what he did was wrong and tell him all about the consequences he had to suffer, but then what happens if hypothetically Ricky starts making big plays and everyone begins to wildly cheer him on? That might send mixed messages to the kid. "Yeah sure, Ricky smoked weed, but look at him, he's still GREAT!" And actually, maybe a 7-year old might even think to himself, "I wanna smoke weed so I can be great, too!"

I'm just sayin...

11. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

...then again I don't have kidds so I'm probably talking out of my ass. :cool:

12. Jewvenile

Jewvenile Member

Honestly i think he would be a great fit for us, it would also help heal for the vince mistake

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If he is in top shape it would be quite a free agent pick-up for the Texans -- there obviously is a big need at RB and the marketing would be strong as well.

14. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

well how the hell's he gonna know :D not like rickys gonna be gettin blazed when the D goes out there....on second thought, ill "puff, puff, pass"

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

:confused: :confused:

what do you you mean?

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not if you explain it the right way. He paid his dues and, if he gets reinstated, will be tested frequently. In other words the explanation should be, "even if you make a mistake, things can still turn out well for you if you just do the right thing."

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

If he's in shape and we get him cheaply, then definitely yes.

18. sabesque

sabesque Member

I don't think I would take him at all. He's been out of the league too long, and you just can't trust him to do the right thing for the team. And as mentioned earlier, it would be a huge distraction.

Can you imagine what it's going to be like to be him when he reaizes how much he screwed up? Once the smoke clears from his head (pun intended) and he realizes how much money he left no the table and the opportunity that he lost...

19. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Interesting that on a site devoted to a team whose players are currently involved in a paternity suit, alleged throat slashing incident, etc, we're debating the character and acceptability of a guy who smokes pot.

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

We're talking about a guy who quit right before training camp because he wanted to smoke pot at a hollistic medicine camp. A guy who hated the pressure of drug tests so he quit the league and his team. A guy who quit because he knew negative drug tests were coming out. I have a problem with how he let pot get in the way of his career. and regardless of your take on pot, last i checked it was illegal.

And if I'm not mistaking, Tracy and Rafer have the opportunity to defend themselves against the charges brought against them. You shouldn't automatically think that because there are charges brought against them that they are guilty. If I remember correctly Ricky Williams failed drug tests. That's a lot more concrete than charges.