1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

WHO ELSE IS SICK TO DEATH OF ALL THIS TANKING BS?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Revisionist history is awesome.

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If thats the case - so be it! As long as our players work hard and do their best - I'm fine with that. Win, lose or draw....

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I agree with your sentiment and personally feel the same way. Honestly I've been coming here less recently because it's so frustrating to see 2/3 of the board clamoring to lose as much as possible when we are at the very worst in the thick of the playoff race. Ask the Magic and Cavs how their initially successful '03-'04 tanking projects turned out in the long run.

5. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

Me, and I'm getting tired of all the people posting depressing and negative comments. This is clutchfans, not some place for so called rockets fans to hate on them. That's all posts have been for the past year, and it's made this site very trashy and hard to visit. I'm a rockets fan win or lose for life.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Quetions for the anti-tank crowd:

Name 1 contender that hasn't tanked?

7. kjayp

I hear ya! Everything is about how we suck, we need to tank, we need to make a major trade.... howabout, we might sneak into the playoffs - and from there anything can happen....howabout we got some good young talent that might suprise us...
    Trade speculations, identifying our weaknesses, draft possibilties if we do suck... is all fine - thats what we're here for... but its all just getting so overwhelmingly negative, pissy and b****y.... and we're ONE GAME INTO THE SEASON! lol

8. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Are you serious? Their tanking projects were fantastically successful. Each team got seven years out of a pair of top-10 prospects, each was a perennial contender, and despite terrible roster-building by their respective front offices, each made it to the NBA finals. Cleveland whiffed on return for LeBron, but Orlando will most likely stock up on picks and young talent when they trade Dwight, rapidly decreasing the time it will take them to recover from his loss. Any Rockets fan would take that in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for examples of why not to tank, I suggest you look elsewhere.

9. kjayp

Dallas Mavericks!

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Miami, Boston, and both L.A's.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Clippers - 19-63 in the 08-09 season. that not tanking

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Morey should change his name to Frank...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zniDzLLhcjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

After ten years of adding pieces and going through a summer where Dream was threatening to leave the team. Causation is not correlation.

14. kjayp

There's a difference between 'sucking' and 'tanking'....

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

True. I'd rather suck for one season than keep building mediocre teams that either lose in the first round or just miss the playoffs.

16. Rockets_Texans

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I know there are a trendy pick right now but the if the drubbing they took from the Spurs last night is any indication the Clippers are not contenders. They are also-rans just like us.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most folks calling for tanking really mean rebuilding, which is just trading off aging, high value vets and rolling with the young guns. Give the PT to the youth and see what you have. If they win, that means somebody outside of Lowry blew up. So good. If they lose, then the team drafts high. Which is good. Both results are better than barely missing or barely making the playoffs.

As for contnders who haven't rebuilt: I cannot think of one for whom a top 10 pick was not a factor in their rebuilding project. Dallas, LAL, Miami, Boston all utilized top 10 picks as they built their core. All these teams held their breath and stunk it up for at least a single season. Just google a team name and add the words draft history. Top picks were used to select or trade for key players on each team. The Lakers are an interesting case because while Kobe forced a trade to LA and Shaq came via FA, the team had recently drafted #10 just 2 years prior. They were adding talent to the Eddie Jones and Van Excel core.

There is a reason even the freaking GM of the team admits the most tried and true path back to contention is rebuilding.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Obligatory

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mXB6vc5Z_A4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

If we can't get free agents and we can't avoid being blackballed in our attempt for a star, we have no choice but to tank. Screw everyone that hates this.

We might as well do it during a short year and with a deep draft. We need to trade assets for some picks, but that's easier said than done.