1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHO ELSE IS SICK TO DEATH OF ALL THIS TANKING BS?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Dec 29, 2011.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm sorry if it's 'out of line' to start a new thread on the topic - as EVERY other thread seems to get hijacked into rants about how we should tank, but I believe that many out there feel as I do and I would like to provide validation to those individuals. If YOU believe this team should 'tank'... just move along to the next thread.... THIS thread is for the rest of us!

I have been a Rockets fan since the early 80's and will always be a Rockets fan - win, lose or draw! This is the team I grew up with and I will always support them! The things I expect from my team are hardwork, hustle and 100% effort - everything that opposes tanking.

I understand that many feel a top draft pick is the only way to return to a championship contending team, I disagree - but this is not a thread about the validity of that course of action to win championships.

IMO 'tanking' is DISRESPECTFUL and DESTRUCTIVE!

Disrespectful to fans sitting in the seats, the legacy of the NBA and sportsmanship in general. If someone shelled out their hard earned money to buy tickets (single game or season tickets) - they DESERVE to watch their team put forth their best effort! If a father takes his kid to a Rockets game, he shouldnt have to explain to his kid that the Rockets are trying to lose - so they can get a top draft pick. Maybe that kid decides to 'tank' his placement tests in school - so he can get straight A's in easier classes....

It's destructive to put that menatlity into the minds of your players. Effort should not be something you turn on and off - as a professional athlete, one should go out and give 100% every night! Organizations that have that mentality (Lakers, Celtics, etc) are perenial contenders - any other thought process is a cancer....

People have complained that Les 'wont let the team tank'... GOOD FOR HIM! Call it honor, ego or just good business - THAT's what I expect from an owner! I would much rather have Les at the helm than Donald Sterling! Sterling let the Clippers be bottom dwellers for decades. After umpteen lottery picks he finally got a couple to pan out and is sitting on a very good team - good for him - NOT what I want from a team I'm supporting!

Our organization has shown great resilliance over the past years. When Ming or Tmac went down, it would have been easy for the rest of the team to say "oh well, thats it for this season..." but they didnt! Instead they responded with the second longest winning streak in NBA history, they responded by putting forth a great and heartfelt effort in the playoffs against the Lakers, they responded by working harder! These are some of the reasons I respect and support this team! I would rather have a .500 team that has heart, than a one that is simply looking for an angle...

I understand the frustration that many feel, but tanking is not the answer. Most of us became Rockets fans because we love the game of basketball and we support the home team! Even though I now live in Las Vegas, I still support this team and will till the day I die - future championships or not! I would LOVE to see a few more banners get hung in our arena - but not at the cost of our teams integrity.

As another person on Clutchfans put it (paraphrasing) "Manhood is not about how many women you sleep with - and fanhood is not about how many rings you win."

I'm sure I'll get flamed and slammed with 'clever little comments'.... but thats my 2 cents...

10 people like this.
  2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

While I appreciate your passion, and agree that tanking is BS. This is Stern's 2011 NBA. Things are different.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

Obligatory TL:DR

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Tanking...

Or Rebuilding?

:cool:

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Dude we need to tank. It is very clear now. That is our safest and fastest route to taking off our floaties. Go look at the talent this year in college basketball!! Instead of wasting your time and only thinking about today, I challenge you to go watch : UCONN, North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Baylor show off thier talent. Go look at the Thunders Blueprint!:cool:

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If it was the NFL I would agree with you. Tanking does you nothing in the NFL. It's all about the here and now, good coaching, good management, draft well no matter where you pick and sign well and you can turn the ship around in one year.

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

There is no reason to attempt to tank. This team blows, and they will tank naturally.

2 people like this.
  8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I just want a superstar....like now.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHO IS SICK OF ALL THIS MEDIOCRITY NONSENSE !!!!

;)

DD

1 person likes this.
  10. Hightop

Hightop Member

This is a season that nobody cares about. I have been a fan for 30 years. This is the first time EVER that I have thought about tanking. Trading away Scola and Martin etc for draft picks and tanking sounds like a good idea.

11. arjun

arjun Member

I'm sick to death of 9th place and the 14th pick.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

For the people that want tanking, when we lose you why do you still get mad?

2 people like this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If you've been a fan since the early 80s you would know that the 2 trophies we do have and the reason for putting in the lotto system are because of the Rockets tanking.

14. ThaShark316_28

Houston sports fans don't know what the **** they want.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We should tank..........just saying.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Tanking Sucks

It really helped us a lot the the last time we had top picks. Remember how we got Stevie and Yao and went so deep in the playoffs and won the Championship.

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If injuries didn't plague Yao, it would have been different.

I notice you didn't say anything about 1984 draft, which eventually won Houston our only 2 championships...

18. jamescar

jamescar Member

The problem with tanking

I am in agreement with the original poster. The odds of tanking and drafting an impact player are not good. Look at the number of years the bulls, bullets, 76ers, clippers, etc had to be unwatchable, and even then, have not had championships.

I would have to think an all the "tanking" fans must be season ticket holders for the Astros. That team is a fine example of tanking, and I really to not enjoying watching them.

1 person likes this.
  19. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

there's a very high correlation to being a ****ty team and tanking.

20. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Play to win.. success is not measured by ring or scoreboard... - John Wooden.

1 person likes this.