1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want as the new Rockets head coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Oct 13, 2020.

?

Rockets head coach

1. Jeff Van Gundy

46.3%
  2. Ty Lue

9.8%
  3. Stephen Silas

14.6%
  4. John Lucas

2.4%
  5. Kenny Atkinson

15.2%
  6. Wes Unseld Jr.

1.8%
  7. Other

9.8%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Ex that is married to a national broadcaster.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I misread this and thought the question was "who do you think will be Rockets coach" and picked Lue lol.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Want? Chris Finch. I'm okay with almost everyone who is being linked to the job. Silas, Atkinson are cool. Lue or JVG would be fine.

Think it will be ? Ty Lue. If he wants the job, he'll have it by the end of the week. I'm excited to see how he does without LeBron. Maybe if the Rockets win they can complain that he never won without LeBron or Harden. MDA was absolute chopped liver at the time of his hire and Harden made people think he was in discussion for the greatest offensive coach of all time. McHale is the worst coach I had ever seen, until Bickerstaff came into play. Harden has never missed the playoffs. Ty Lue could be the best coach he's ever had, he definitely won't be close to as bad as McHale or JBB.

Do not want? John Lucas or Mark Jackson. Lucas is an incredible human but I just don't think he's a very inspiring choice for a head coach. Mark Jackson is awful and doesn't even belong on television. He's a grifter. JVG publicly supporting him to be a head coach hurts my view of JVG by association.

#63 treyk3, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

So did Hilary in 2016.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

That career coaching record is horrific step down in production from MDA.

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Family feud: Gundy bros vs mike dan and tony! They sure do have a lot of work cut out for them, cleaning up the mess that was left here!!

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good players equates to good winning percentages.

As I posted JVG said recently in that podcast, “HOF coaches always have HOF players. But HOF players don’t always
    have HOF coaches.”

Case in point Lucas with Spurs......good players....good winning percentage.

Spoelstra won with LeBron/DWade/Bosh....only recently winning again; but how much of that is Riley GM?
    Blatt/Lue won with LeBron/KLove/Kyrie.....not much without as HC
    Doc Rivers won with Garnett/Ray Allen/Rondo/Paul Pierce.....what has he won since?

Good Players equates to good wins. Rockets have good players in :
    Harden/Tucker/Covington/Rivers/Westbrook (NBA 3rd team and former MVP).

Show me a team that wins and I will show you a team with good players.
    Show me a team that loses and I will show you a team with poor players or injured star(s).

Popovich replaced coach Larry Brown who lost the services of David Robinson for a season (20 wins...David played 6 games) Brought the Spurs a top pick in the form of Tim Duncan. Pops then
    coached Tim Duncan with David Robinson together and they went from 20 wins to 56 wins.
    Went from Spurs losing record without D Robinson to winning record with Duncan/Robinson.....amazing how that works. Pops has been 8th seed to out of playoffs since Duncan retired. Amazing how that is.

Edited: Bob Hill not Larry Brown

#67 ApacheWarrior, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why are people choosing Atkinson? A guy who couldn’t have a breakout year after 4 years with the organization while opting for an equal ball sharing approach. Oh by the way, he clashed with the team’s two biggest stars. JVG isn’t the answer either and seems obsolete in this league. This team needs a fresh young but experienced basketball mind who can build relationships with players, which is very important in this era of basketball. Cassell has all of these qualities he just needs an opportunity.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lue won a championship.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree good players equate to winning.

JVG had 2 HOF players in their prime. Hold him to same standard for postseason production.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^ oops lol

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

JVG is not a dumb ass.

Only a dumb ass would want to have anything to do with this organization now and moving forward.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't let the inmates run the prison - Bob McNair

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s different in the NBA

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt.

MDA had some lean years in:
    New York: Melo (losing)...Melo injured-Linsanity (winning).....Melo back/Lin surgery (losing)

Lakers: Kobe/Dwight Howard in 2012-13 had Steve Blake, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill, Antawn Jamison, Jodie Meeks,
    Steve Nash, Robert Sacre, Metta World peace...........went 40-32 replacing Mike Brown and Bernie Bickerstaff.

But then went 27-55 in 2013-14. minus Dwight Howard......add Nick Young, Chris Kaman, Wesley Johnson, Jordan
    Farmar, MarShon Brooks, Kendall Marshall.

If I can’t call out Mike D’Antoni for being a bad coach because he can’t get so-so players to work together......then
    I can’t hold it against John Lucas for not getting sub-par players in Philly or so-so players in Cleveland to play
    on the same page either.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

of the 3 finalists, I’m now really hoping it’s Silas

I think JVG would bring the best collection of assistant coaches, or at least some assistants with some name recognition, but I’m tired of the same ol’ retreads

this will probably get blown up in a year or 2 anyways...get some younger coach in here just looking for that 1 opportunity to blow up and become the next big thing

D-rock likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Lets try someone new, lets go with Silas beybe!

D-rock likes this.
  20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I think Lucas gets the Job. The one thing that is consistent as that James and Russ clearly are not endorsing JVG. Lucas advantage is he knows the game and he has really good relationships and invested interest in players in the league. The disadvantage is ironically the same thing over familiarity. One thing the Rockets have to be able to adjust the roster to play small ball and a standard lineup that can match. the upper echelon. Thank God for the g-league because those are the only prospects the Rockets will have. I dont think trading Russ should happen,