1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want as the new Rockets head coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Oct 13, 2020.

?

Rockets head coach

1. Jeff Van Gundy

46.3%
  2. Ty Lue

9.8%
  3. Stephen Silas

14.6%
  4. John Lucas

2.4%
  5. Kenny Atkinson

15.2%
  6. Wes Unseld Jr.

1.8%
  7. Other

9.8%
  1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Might as well do a poll.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Zeljko Obradovic

Scola Scoops and bratna8 like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont like that our two first options are Jeff Van Gundy and Ty Lue....that does not scream Morey to me, that screams Tillman.

BigMaloe, Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Jvg, Cassell, Lucas

In that order

Dacamel likes this.
  5. deshen

deshen Member

Anyone who won't make same mistakes in coaching more than 2 times. the younger the better.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Obradovic, Silas, Atkinson

My order of preference.

But would rather Lue than JVG or Lucas.

whiskeyred, T.MAC and BigMaloe like this.
  7. ball king23

ball king23 Member

8. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

JVG but Harden has to sign off on it, if not the experiment will fail. I just don't see Harden wanting to move without the ball. So if Harden does not want JVG, then Ill go with Sam or Silas. I do not want Ty Lue.

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

slim pickins eh

courtsidedreams likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Atkinson, Silas, Cassel in order.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Atkinson -- I'm ok with. He's actually had recent experience, has run an offense with pace that was around the top of the league despite being loaded with a lot of garbage and he seems to be a players' coach. He also seems to be obsessive to an extent like JVG (?).

Silas -- I love. He has actually worked under some of the best coaches running the best offenses in the league in Golden State and Dallas. He's worked in Cleveland when the Lebron circus was in town for the first go-round, I think. He also has coached Doncic who is arguably a very similar player to Harden. I also like the fact the guy is young and has worked with young super/megastars in multiple locations. This means if we finally get good young players or actually draft high-lotto he can be around and have an idea how to baby-sit their feelings. He's a coach that could grow with the organization if he's good a la Carlisle, Popovich. He's also loved by big-name players around the league like Steph Curry. As a matter of fact, I switched my vote from Atkinson to Silas as I was typing this... LOL.

Lue is somewhat of a mystery because I've seen people say he's a great X's and O's guy and I think he probably is, but his past health issues concern me. It does intrigue me how many people want Doc, Cassell, and Lue, yet the Clippers had all 3 and they choked in the playoffs. I know, I know... they weren't all coaching, but damn.

JVG I love as an analyst and probably as a person, but I have bad memories and nothing to tell me those memories won't still be nightmares if we re-hire him.

Lucas I love as a Rocket, but I honestly don't know why he'd be a high priority unless Harden/Westbrook is forcing their hand. If he's a coach, somebody else probably should be in charge of everything. I don't know...

Unseld I know squat about, but the brief amount that I read about him makes me think he's not in the same class as these other guys.

Obradovic? I know nothing about him other than the videos I've watched, and those videos look like he'd lose a team here quickly. He kind of reminded me of old school 1980's basketball coaches with all the screaming and yelling. Nobody cares how smart you are if they've tuned you out and you can't be heard. And how does he feel about 3's and layups? lol.

#12 Dr of Dunk, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Red Auerbach didn't answer the phone from what I heard.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Agreed I think Silas is my number one. I hope that bone head lets Morey do his job.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

JVG with Silas as top assistant.

I’m probably dreaming, but I like the balance of the two.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets don’t even need a coach. Please just save the money to upgrade the team.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You are definitely dreaming it. Mavericks aren't going to let Silas off the hook to come be an assistant for the Rockets. He isn't a free agent, he's being given permission to interview for head coaching gigs only since he is still under contract.

I want Kenny Atkinson by the way.

pippendagimp and baller4life315 like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Give me JVG.

He's experienced enough to deal with Harden and Westbrook, and when we blow up the team after this season, he'll be a good coach for a really young team. He's done well with Team USA.

tmacman and YOLO like this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Atkinson because he has recent NBA HC experience, has shown the ability to be versatile, and is someone who will challenge Morey to get the best result of the two combined, rather than just being given a formula and following it.

I love JVG but I have zero evidence for what he has learned or might change during his time as a broadcaster.

HP3 likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You make a strong argument for Silas. I'd like to get Becky Hammon, but you may have convinced that Silas is someone I'd be happy with.