1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which player is the best 3rd star for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, May 16, 2008.

Tags:
?

Which player is the best 3rd star for the Rockets that we should look to acquire?

1. Corey Maggette

11.0%
  2. Ron Artest

27.1%
  3. Mike Miller

20.3%
  4. Jose Calderon

20.0%
  5. Mickael Pietrus

1.6%
  6. Josh Howard

2.6%
  7. Ben Gordon

2.6%
  8. Andre Miller

5.8%
  9. Richard Jefferson

5.2%
  10. Vince Carter

3.9%
  1. bjshot

bjshot Member

First of all, Yao, TMac, Battier, Scola, Landry is untouchable in these deals, then the third scorer listed here will update Rockets to dominate the league when Yao is healthy.

Mickael Pietrus is not much an update. Vince is too expansive for rockets and may generate chemistry problem. Ricky Davis will be cheap to worth a try.

I think only Ben Gordon and R. jefferson is realistic that their teams can let them go with the price rockets willing to pay.

I think Ben Gordon maybe a realistic choice now. He wants big money and probably no team wants to give him that much because he is inconsistent to be a cornerstone of a team. But he is 4th quarter scorer and great 6th man. He probably would win 6th man every season if he were a rockets. Nets is rebuilding and jefferson is not a Franchise player. But he is a very efficient wing scorer.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'm wondrin if Ben Gordon can backup Rafer? he can attack and defend the likes of deron williams, etc...watcha think guys?

3. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I say Mike Miller overall. Talent wise, Ron Artest is the best BUT I already know the headaches from him on the Kings. He'll break from set plays and do his own thing time to time. He's a big risk, IMO.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Matchman- Tracy has been the man and I don't he cares about being that. Yao doesn't have the personality to be the man. I don't think being the man is a big deal. When Cassell and spreewell went to minny, garnett didn't care if they took the big shots. Why? Its all about the ring. Tracy wouldn't care if he avg 15pts and 10asst as long as they won. As far as the "best center in hoops," I wouldn't care if he avg 15ppg and grabbed 13 rebs as long as he was a presence in the middle. Artest makes so much sense to this team that detractors bring up stuff 3 yrs ago.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I voted for Mike Miller also. I would love to have a guy who can slash and is big enough to cover for Tmac when he is injured but no third scorer is going to change the fact that Tmac and Yao both have to be healthy for this team to make noise in the playoffs. Knowing that I think it is best to open the court up for the two stars. Miller does that the best and he isn't a liability defensively. He also seems to be a guy who comes to work and does his job insteand of running his mouth and complaining.

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Hey, the championship Bulls and Pistons had Dennis Rodman... a little craziness can't hurt when it comes with that much defense and intensity.

... But I kind of agree with the guy who mentioned that Artest seems to sometimes want to be "the man". That's a bit of a concern, but in Sacto, I can understand why he would want that role a little more. I mean, I don't think he'll have much problem deferring to McGrady or Yao compared to Kevin freakin Martin.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

How the hell did Mickael Pietrus make this list? I can only assume that he's the joke entry.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I will probably always say it's Artest

Battier is our important player, because it is great to have guy who you can put on opponents' best scorer and you don't have to worry about that. The problem is he is not enough scorer for us.

And with Artest we wouldn't get any worse on defense - it could be only better becayse I think Ron is better 1on1.

This guy can also shoot, you can post up him everytime you want and he is capable of scoring 30 points in a given night.

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

lol kind of. I couldn't really think of that appropriate word to describe what I meant, i.e. someone whose current team is willing to let them go and are looking for offers for them, so if the right offer comes up they will be traded.

for example memphis is totally rebuilding, so its only a matter of time before he is traded from memphis, and I want us to be that team getting Miller!

and no way they are as hard to get as nash and paul-they are like in a different class, and nash and pauls team fits them perfectly at the moment, unlike the players I listed like Artest whos been in trade rumors for months constantly. Players such as Pietrus have even asked Golden State to trade him.

oh btw looks like no love for a cheaper player like Pietrus...

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

yeah kind of...I was going to put Rudy Gay but I thought nah......that would bring back thoughts of what if...we kept the steal at no.8 pick? Then we'd have our 3rd scorer already!!!!!!!!

that slot should have gone to Ricky Davis

even better Rudy Gay

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ron Artest he has balls. Something our team lacks at times.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

his so-called balls can backfire sometimes, but we knows he become more mature these couple of years.

Its a surprise that he didn't have any off the court drama this season! what a surprise! and hes actually stepped up to help Sacramento win 38 games.

I hope he can channel all his rage at the Jazz-----------
    his encounter with Matt Harpring was quite funny, he must hate the Jazz like the rest of us

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

True, you actually made my counterpoint also, so yeah true. lol. I think he has matured and Rick is the perfect guy to temper him a bit. So I would take the risk.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Ron Artest is the best potential player if he keeps his cool. Miller is not potentially as good as Artest basketball wise for this team, but he is a safer choice than Artest and still brings just as much scoring. Corey Maggete would be ideal slasher/scorer that gets to the foul line. Calderon would be the PG we need to go with Rafer.

Definitely, any of the top 4 choices would better us. The list starts dropping after that.

15. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

hard decision between calderon and mike miller. but i chose calderon and i do think scola will be among our top go to guys to make the basket. im expecting 13pts 7 rebounds from him at the very least. also expect 10 points 6 rebounds at the very least from landry too.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

wow I dont know why Corey Maggette isn't getting much love. I would want him simply for the fact that he is a very good slasher and just charges into the lane recklessly and look for that foul in the paint, and he is one of the best in the business finishing the move off by shooting in his freethrows. That would really come in handy against the Jazz cos Jazz are a bunch of so-called "physical players"(aka dirty) and just look at how Kobe is getting like 20 freethrows per game and also making a huge percentage of them.

Heck, I would get Maggette if only just to beat the Jazz.
    not to mention he'd improve our freethrow percentage

btw its interesting that Calderon and Miller is tied in voting...(as when I'm posting this)

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

lol haha...kkk somebody just voted for Calderon so its not equal anymore like I just said above

by the way Maggette can create his own shot!

hopefully we can get Andre Miller by purposely drafting a PF just for 76ers and we trade our draft pick PF and other players (like Luther Head and Chuck Hayes) for Andre Miller since they desperately need a PF. Now Andre Miller shouldn't be hard to get at all because 76ers are full of young players so whats a 32 year old doing in a team with like 90 percent youngsters? They would want to trade him while his value is still high since hes just had a stellar season. He'll only get older...

18. Asian Sensation

Ya, the 76ers only traded Iverson for Andre Miller but he shouldn't be too hard to get at all.

He's the leader of the Sixers and led them to an amazing turn around and into the playoffs but I'm sure they'll take our garbage like our 25th pick, Luther Head and Chuck Hayes? Are you kidding me?

If you didn't know Andre Miller's age you'd probably think he was like 27 or 28. This is a guy who never relied on his athleticism to get by kinda like Nash in that sense. He could go strong for another 4 years or so if he wants to. If he didn't fit in Philadelphia and didn't come off a stellar year then sure why not lets go after him but be serious from now on.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

lol...kkkkkk. let me follow your logic and give u a different view of ur point...

so you're saying.... the Magic only traded McGrady for Francis and Francis was an untouchable in Orlando...and Mobley was gonna be their second star so they weren't gonna trade him either...

secondly, heres another version of ur 2nd point...so...Calderon has been performing at almost an all-star level and was being praised and nominated for the east all star team...and he was pivotal for the Raptors getting into the playoffs(just look at his stats).agree? yeah?..and I'm so sure that Jose's gonna spend the rest of his career in Toronto and The raptors won't take expirings, young talents, and/or proven veterans to trade him while his trade value is the highest it has been...and just let the Point Guard dilemma simmer in the pot..til the pot explodes...(whos gonna take ford's 9 mil contract?!!)

your age argument is even more laughable...so hes 32 right? a 27 year old could probably have another good 8 years left in his career...does that apply for a 32 year old? hes gonna be just as fit and good when hes 40?
    obviously he can go another 4 years if he wants to, but thats only 4 years and not much more. so its totally ridiculous to say hes similar to a 27 year old. a 32 year old is obviously on a decline no matter how good he is right now, and that does not fit in with the sixers current aim of developing young talent and future-oriented franchise building strategy.

I'm also going to say that he has been playing with the stinkiness of the Clippers, through Denver and now Philly, none of which were true contenders.
    so I'd say at his age he'd want a ring.

20. Asian Sensation

You can't compare the situation of Steve Francis in Orlando with the situation of Andre Miller in Philly. Those are two totally different scenarios. Francis fizzled out in Orlando after 1.5 seasons and the Magic were headed a different direction cause they got nowhere fast with Francis leading the team. They wanted DWIGHT HOWARD the face of the franchise. Andre Miller on the opposite hand played a key role in leading the Sixers back to the playoffs. Has a tight relationship with Mo Cheeks and the fans in Philly love him.

You're totally missing my point when I said Andre Miller is like a 27 or 28 year old. I say that because he DOES NOT rely on his athleticism you know the kind of player like Steve Nash who's 34... Chauncy Billups who's 31. The opposite of a player like Steve Francis who's also 31 but looks as if his career is over and will only be a marginal contributor because he relied so much on his ATHLETICISM.

I'm sure Andre Miller wants a ring too but I don't think Philly is going to give him up for what you proposed of Luther Head, Chuck Hayes and our 25th pick. LMAO.