1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which player is the best 3rd star for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, May 16, 2008.

Tags:
?

Which player is the best 3rd star for the Rockets that we should look to acquire?

1. Corey Maggette

11.0%
  2. Ron Artest

27.1%
  3. Mike Miller

20.3%
  4. Jose Calderon

20.0%
  5. Mickael Pietrus

1.6%
  6. Josh Howard

2.6%
  7. Ben Gordon

2.6%
  8. Andre Miller

5.8%
  9. Richard Jefferson

5.2%
  10. Vince Carter

3.9%
  1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

since there has been much discussion on who we should acquire in the off-season, so WHICH player is the best 3rd star that fits us the most?

I've only listed what I think are the realistic options, but feel free to add ur own. Obviously you have to consider what we have to offer, so a player like Baron Davis is impossible.

I really think we need that legit 3rd scoring option, so when T-Mac and Yao gets double teamed they can hit their shots, and possible create their own shot when they have to(which shouldn't be the case most of the time if Yao and T-Mac aren't injured).

2. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

first off even with yao and t-mac healthy and on the court, we will need a 3rd scorer. t-mac has regressed and isn't half the effective scorer he was in Orlando, and as good as Yao is, he won't score every time down the floor. we need a PURE scorer, someone who can create his own shot and get us buckets, not a playmaker like t-mac is turning into.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Of all the players mentioned there, Vince Carter is the best offensive player by a long shot, but there's no realistic chance of acquiring him. He's too expensive. I think Maggette would fill a big need (a big 2/3 who can get to the line and hit free throws), and he may not be out of our price range.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We have two stars who are not as aggressive as they need to be. Adding another player who has had the "soft" label attached to him might not be in Rocket's best interest. He also has had injury problems and is not particularly interested in playing defense.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If Rockets plan on adding another significant contract, I would hope he can shoot from outside. We need someone who can create and knock down the outside jumpers.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Josh Howard is a realistic option - how are we going to get him exactly?

I don't think it's a stretch to ask the same question about Carter or Jefferson

According to the coach, we're looking for someone to come off the bench and bring some scoring (ie, Battier ain't going anywhere) - so I think most of those guys are 'unrealistic options'!

I'll vote Ricky Davis.

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Reliable 3 point pure shooter, Mike Miller or Calderon as PG.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I agree. He's affordable, a really good shooter from outside, agressive going to the rim, and VERY underrated since he got his mind right. Some team's really going to benefit from picking this guy up. I sincerely hope it's us.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Where's the option for Scola? :cool:

OK, among those options, I gotta go with Artest.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

His last couple teams didn't benefit too much. I'm not a fan.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

None of his teams have ever benefited from having him. He is worthless.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I thought of Scola but he is already in the team :D

oops I forgot Ricky Davis but Ricky Davis probably can't command more than the MLE whereas the options I listed(with the exception of Pietrus) will sign for more than the MLE.

By the way I think since we already have Battier and T-Mac its best for us to get a top PG.

p.s. I wish we drafted Tiago Splitter last year

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You're gonna take so much crap for this lol. Calderon and Miller are as unattainable as Paul and Nash. And most of the rest are highly improbable. Vince Carter? Who even mentioned that money-sinkhole in the first place.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I really like Maggette coming off the bench taking Head/Jackson's minutes.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't get the mancrush a good number of members here have with Artest.

Are they also pitbull owners?

16. battousai

battousai Member

what we need is a 3rd scorer that can attack and create.

artest and corey fits that mode, and miller to an extend.

Tmac can be all effective in his 40+ mins anymore, as the playoffs showed us in the 4th quarter.

whether we want to believe or not, Tmac and Yao will no longer be playing a full reason without missing games. this should be expected from the management team and find ways to neglect that impact.

Scola and Landry plus deke and woods should spell relieve for us in the next season.

we need a player that can take pressue off t-mac on the court. I think Artest is the best option.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Miller would be great. He can shoot. He's tall enough to get his shot off(*cough* Luther *cough*). And he's capable of scoring 20-25 points on any given night. He'd be a perfect compliment to Yao and T-Mac.

18. DaDream

DaDream Member

If you don't understand that he is the best all around player on that list.... defense and can create his own offense (drive and 3pointers) your fooling yourself. .....given when his head is straight. He didn't do anything crazy this past season did he........ except for destroy us when he played the rockets.....

19. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

i dont get why so many people want Ron Artest. God forbid he goes crazy at the playoffs and cost us some critical games. he also wants to be "the man" at times, which is not gonna happen.
    we need some players who has a reputation to play rough and tough, and that person is Corey Maggette.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

If we can get any of the first 4 players you mentioned I`d be happy. If we can get two of them I`d say we are legitimate title contenders!