1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not attacking you but are we judging Green on entire season too or just games after the ASB?

Because you know it will not paint a pretty picture otherwise.

Many on CF have used same cherry picked # of games to declare Green the best draft pick of 2021.

This sword cuts both ways.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo is still legit post defender but he's fallen behind KPJ as perimeter defender and rim protector.

He can dig deep to rekindle his old defensive self a game or two but not over entire season anymore.

KPJ is just the more disruptive player with much better STOCKS.

Sonicbun8 and jcmoon like this.
  3. gogispade

gogispade Member

Is he giving up the 10 to JSJ?

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nah, EGo is not House, deserves even more respect.

Green taking 4, let Jabari have 0.

I like idea of 0 being a legacy transition number for our top 3 picks going forward. There is symmetry there.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

The critical next step is adding Bzdelik and Abdelfattah to Silas staff.

These 2 assistant additions would immediately improve culture and enhance systems on offense and defense.

I hope Patrick doesn't accept any push back on this.

These 2 additions would turn this team around almost overnight.

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

Green hasn’t proven anything. Nothing.

Green is a rookie on a rookie contract. Kevin Porter JR is entering his 4th year. He’s due for a contract soon. I’m not giving a contract extension, losing our cap room, missing out on free agents in order to give KPJ the keys to the franchise and the floor general for the Rockets because of 7 games. I thought it was going to be his breakout year last year since he went off in silly season 2 years ago along with the Bruno Caboclos of the world. I was very disappointed in him last year. I’m not a hater and you should know by now any Rocket I’m riding with. However, please be objective here. Regardless of who Green is or isn’t, rookies typically take time to adjust to the NBA.

Even if KPJ was in a new position, I highly doubt it caused him to average 12ppg on 42% from the field. He basically did whatever he wanted. Someone earlier in the thread was saying well everyone stands around and no one calls a play. LOL. As if it’s everyone’s responsibility but the point guard. Do you think Kyle Lowry would ever let that happen? We need a point guard bro. He doesn’t have the natural feel or vision to be a floor general and I still have reservations about the temperament. The problem is we have 2 talented shooting guards. He’d be best suited as a combo guard off the bench. (Even if he turns out better than Green, having that skill allows him to be that change of pace guard.) The jury is out on Green but comparing a rookie to a guy entering his 4th year in the league as some kind of excuse is a bad look.

beardsanity713, Nook, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Green was a rookie tho, not a 3rd year player, and his overall season stats are quite good for a rookie: 17, 3, and 3 on 43/34/80 splits and 55% TS

if Green was a 3rd year player and just had a season on the level of KPJr, he’d be getting called a disappointing bust

beardsanity713, Nook, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

NEXT :-
    FIRST OFF
    MOVE WALL and GORGON
    SECOND TRADE or CUT GARUBA or NEWBA
    THIRD GET a Great FREE AGENT CENTER such as
    MO BAMBA
    FOURTHLY BE SURE THAT THE FOUR DALLAS PLAYERS ARE SENT PACKING
    FIFTH BE SURE THAT WOOD & SCHRODER are no longer with the Rockets! Y

Nook likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

KPJ was also playing first FULL season at PG, at any level.

And KPJ was bottom of first pick, not top 2.

So there's that.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Serious question, do you know how long it took before Lowry became the Lowry we all know now?

He was on his 3rd team and SIX years into his career before he became the legend that Rockets missed out on. McHale, like you, was not a believer in a young flawed very emotional even combative but extremely high upside player.

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

o_O

D-rock likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Does playing PG prevent him from shooting even 65% from the line? His overall season was pretty bad no matter how u look at it whereas Green’s overall season is pretty good for a rookie.

many of y’all say that he went at the bottom of the 1st round only because of off the court stuff and not because of talent or skill

44% of people said he would go top 5 in last year’s draft

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/where-would-kpj-be-selected-in-2021-draft.310733/

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

I don’t see how that has anything to do with his scoring though. He basically took a lot of the same shots and played more like a scoring combo guard anyway. He had a ton of freedom last year. My biggest concern his his willingness as a passer but he’s supposed to be much better than that as a scorer in his 3rd year.

Are you implying that because of their draft position, Porter Jr has more leeway because he’s a lesser prospect? I’m not interested in guys who might pan out given their draft position I’m interested in the best players we can get period.

I’m giving him next year to prove it to us but he has to do it. Why would I sign him long term when NBA teams are imploding and we are set up for a ton of cap space. What if the Rockets make the play in a few years from now with excellent spacing and defense? What if Devin Booker likes the Green and Jabari combo and thinks he’s the missing piece in 2024. So many directions we can go but now we can’t because we are attached to a guy we got for a protected 2nd round pick who drove away from Toyota Center instead of being accountable.

He gets one more chance to put it together. I don’t want Stone to be Carrol Dawson and reward players with overpriced toxic contracts. If he only slightly improves and he agrees to come off the bench at MLE money, we can talk. Otherwise he needs to show significant improvement and consistency or he gone.

beardsanity713 and jcmoon like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If by his 3rd year in the league Green has been able to do some of the things KPJ has already done, we'll all be really impressed.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, not part of that group.

I'm from Bill Parcells school of thought - your draft position is your draft position.

External issues be damned. That's life.

And I'm not married to KPJ, if TyTy or another PG out performs him then to the victor the spoils.

What I'm against is movement for the sake of movement. Some kids develop at different pace but let them compete then let chips fall where they may.

Not a fan of saying a player should be a starter or traded for another unknown, earn it on the court instead.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Member

I always like Lowry even when he was backing up Conley on the Grizzlies. He always had the makings of a floor general. I remember a game I attended at Toyota Center early in his tenure with us where he had 20assists and 0 points. He got 17 minutes per game his rookie season he managed to average more assists per 36 than KPJ this year. If we love the guy so much start him over Green I don’t care. We need a point guard. No more iso ball.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

just don’t think we should be comparing Green and his play with KPJr when 1 is a rookie and the other is entering his 4th year

Rockets have a decision on him coming up, so he better really step it up

18. raining threes

I get what you are saying. However for me this is about improving his ability to improve others games around him as a PG. Also this team is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds defensively before they will become contenders. Unfortunately because they're young this will take time to mesh. Adding guys like Smith and Eason are a great start to improving this part of the game.

However for me this is about KPJ

Nook likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lowry career FG% is 42%, same FG% you are criticizing KPJ for.

And he averaged single digit points for 5 straight seasons, including 2 seasons with Rockets.

Lowry did not average double digit PPG until 3rd season with Rockets - that's 6 seasons into his career.

And Lowry has NEVER averaged more than 8 APG. His first season averaging 6 APG was his 3rd season with Rockets - 6 years into his career.

KPJ already has had 2 straight 6 AST seasons.

Not all players develop at same pace, that's all I'm saying.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  20. Spooner

Spooner Member

Im not proposing to move him because he has no value. Let’s give him a chance. I’m also not proposing locking up longterm money in him as a face of the franchise. There are a ton of free agents who are young and talented shaking free the next few years. The worst thing we can do is box ourselves in and miss out on good players in favor of hypothetical improvement. I need to see it consistently against good competition. 7 games against B teams isn’t enough. Go back and see the teams he played and who rested in those games. Look at the players putting up the craziest stats the last month of every season. It is coined silly season for a reason. Daishen Nix tore up the G league and at that point it’s almost just as much to get excited about.

jcmoon and D-rock like this.