1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where would KPJ be selected in 2021 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Mar 8, 2021.

?

Where would KPJ be drafted in 2021?

1. 1-5

62 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. 6-14

51 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. 15-30

28 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It seems Cleveland may have gifted us the point guard for the rebuild in Kevin Porter Jr. Previous off court issues aside, he has a clean slate in H-Town and will be given every opportunity to develop his game.

I would argue in the 2021 draft class he would be selected top 10, if not top 5.

snowconeman22 and airflights92 like this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I don't know about his off court issues but from what I've seen in the G-league he has been great. He cheers for his teammates like a good teammate. He didn't seem to complain or anything. He gave maximum effort too for his teammates.

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Literally reminds me of a Young James Harden, Carlos Correa, Deshaun Watson.

He is so gifted at such a Young Age. 20 years old and even more polished than James Harden at that specific Age of 20.

James Harden was only a Scorer, Didn't Develop his Right Hand in Dribbling, Turning it Over, Defensive Liability, Came off the Bench for OKC, Didn't Develop the Stepback 3, Or Sidestep 3. Eurostep and Between the Leg Dribble Moves Only.
    Wasn't a Point Guard at OKC, Only a Shooting Guard. James Harden was used at the End of the 4th Quarter.

Kevin Porter Jr. is the Most Evolved Version of James Harden. Kevin Porter Jr.
    Has Developed Everything. His Jumpshot Shooting Form Has Improved Now Which is Scary. He can Defend Quicker Point Guards Easily, His Dunking and Jumping Reminds me of Tracy McGrady. He can Pass Similar to Harden in Setting Up Alley Oops, Full Court Passes, Driving and Passing to Open Teammates for 3 Pointers. Great at Iso, because He is much Faster Dribbler and Quicker and Teammates really don't mind because he works Faster unlike James Harden who Dribbles Way too much and much Slower when the Games are too Long, He tires Out.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He would be one of the oldest rookies so while he's more developed, he'd be compared to younger players.

I'd say top 5 if he were playing for Ignition and securing an almost perfect record and the MVP award.

He is more Luka than Harden, but Luka started playing full time NBA minutes at 18 years old and professionally for half a decade before that. KPJ has the advantage of less pressure I guess.

groovemachine and raining threes like this.
  5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

He’s way more athletic than Luka and only 1-2 years older than the top rookies. He’d be a top-3 pick if it weren’t for the off the court issues.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m gonna wait to see how he does in NBA games moving forward 1st. So far, we have a 50 game sample size of him averaging 10, 3, and 2 on ok efficiency for a rookie. Yeah, he’s looked impressive in the G-League, but it’s the G-League. Even then, his percentages in the G-League against that subpar competition are just 45/32/78 shooting splits. Someone like Cade would probably average a 25 point triple double if he was playing there after his rookie season in the NBA.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but like Luka he doesn't rely on athleticism to get past players. I don't think he uses his athleticism on any side of the ball.

As for the off court issues, you are right but those are not theoretical. They are real and they exist right now, even when he's playing well. If another team had acquired him 99% of people would believe it to be an insurmountable obstacle and there's no reason we should flip that just because he's our player.

Lucas is a disciplinarian and I suspect he will be very out of touch with a kid KPJ's age. The disciplinarian style will work for a Clint Capela type who doesn't have all-world talent but is sure he wants to be in the NBA. A guy like Porter has all the talent in the world and is not sure it's what he'd like to do with his life.

It's a totally different situation and it's why I've been advocating for the rockets to get a professional mental health expert to guide him rather than the stereotype father figure who will assume that it can't work any other way than the way it worked 25 years ago for someone.

Not ******** on Lucas btw, I just think it's so ridiculous (and so Tilman) to strategize this as "the kid just needs some tough love." That's not how mental issues work. I hope there's more support for him than what I've read.

If this project doesn't work out, 90% of his biggest fans will call him soft instead of looking inward. That's why I'm weary of the comments here.

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I think you are underestimating how much respect John Lucas has around the league. He’s worked with so many players when they were young, ones we don’t even know about. In Michael Shapiro’s profile of him, the entire room went silent and listened intently when he spoke up during the meeting in the bubble over whether players should boycott.

KPJ will also see how much respect Lucas has within the Rockets organisation, where he is beloved and leaned on heavily. Surely that would demand his attention far more than some outsider coming in. I don’t know if Lucas has qualifications, but anybody working in such an expertise, even if they are a Harvard grad, I imagine would tell you there’s no substitute for decades of experience working hands on in the field, and being able to relate to a player through your own experiences like Lucas can. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to work, just that it’s probably the best bet.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

coincidence that the rockets had a verbal agreement Porter for Jaret Allen future trade agreement?

rockets1995, Bo6, Highlyrated and 2 others like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

This. The Allen trade was a gift to the Cavs and they returned the favor.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Keep in mind KPJ didn't play an entire year of basketball due to Covid and then not joining the Cavs this season due to personal legal issues. So that gleauge month was basically training camp for him while the players he was playing against were already mostly conditioned for the regular season. Even great players need some form of conditioning and training camp to get their shooting in regular season form. Also keep in mind that g-league defenses treated him like he was James Harden constantly hedging towards his side or doubling him. He isn't going to garner than same attention in the NBA.

groovemachine likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. G-league is literally pick up games. hard to take much from it. But at the very least, he shows some upside.

Reeko likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People are overreacting to G league results. We always knew he's good enough to be an NBA rotation scorer. A player of that talent level should dominate in the G league.

An NBA team literally just gave him away, meaning he wasn't even worth a 2nd rd pick to teams around the league (much less a lottery pick). Gaudy G-league results wont change that. He's still a brat headcase that may have actual mental issues that need to be addressed.

If we call him up and he demonstrates some actual maturation on and off the floor, then we may actually have something. As is, he's just a lottery ticket we found on the floor.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that doesnt sound like a combo harden/mcgrady i read somewhere. im so confused

YOLO likes this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If he didn't get in trouble at USC he would have been a lottery pick last year.

If he didn't get in trouble in Cleveland he would have been a member of the Cavaliers still.

In reality? He'd be a lottery pick as is.

If he was just evaluated on basketball? Somewhere in the top 5.

groovemachine and raining threes like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

nor will he be waltzing into the lane with ease whenever he wants and playing against a bunch of low talent scrubs...even guys like Hartenstein ball out and dominate there averaging 25 and 15...show me what u can do in the league, and so far, we have his 50 game sample size from his rookie year

I see someone in this thread saying that KPJr would be a top 3 pick in this draft if not for his off court issues. That has to be mainly off his G-League play. I saw someone else saying he could be a top 5 talent in the entire NBA in another thread. That also has to be based off G-League play. Would KPJr coming out of college be a top 3 pick in this draft?

topfive likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Going to a lesser league and not pouting and embracing it is a demonstration of winds changing for him.

groovemachine and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I honestly think he would have gone undrafted due to his off court issues. Again, y'all have lost your minds around here. Kevin Porter Jr. hasn't proven anything but that he can ball in the G League. And I say this as someone who is very excited about his potential.

19. fchowd0311

Possibly. He was one of the better rookies last year and he was one of the younger ones at 19 as there were plenty of 20-22 year old rookies. I would say at least top 10 if he didn't have the mental health issues.

rockets1995 and raining threes like this.
  20. fchowd0311

Um he's proven to be a double digit scorer on decent efficiency at 19 in the NBA. That is what he has proven so far. His rookie season wasn't magically erased because of his temper tantrum.