1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Wrong With Our Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Nov 3, 2004.

Tags:
?

Reason 4 Rough Start...

1. Lack of Team Chemistry

216 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Need a better point

90 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. TMac is a ball hog

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Yao is injured

30 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Our defense is really bad right now

53 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Too early to tell

126 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Interesting how a roster overhaul, a Sura injury, a road trip to China, losing to the defending NBA champs, and poor shooting in back to back road openers brings out the pessimistic analysis.

The current roster was never a 50+ win team. It was a team built for the playoffs and (like the Heat from last season) will be a slow starter. The only worthwhile "criticism" in this whole thread is the suggestion of an athletic, rangy PF next to Yao. But that was obvious to me back when the Francis for Brand trades ran amuck.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think what this team needs is a floor leader. People underestimated Steve's leadership. I think it was there, but a different kind of leadership than what people are used to. It may not have been enough leadership, or enough leadership to ever take us far.

I think the trade was still the right thing to do, but somebody needs to step up and be the leader.

Steve worked harder than anyone else, and the team kind of took on his personality because of his leadership. I'm not saying that's the even a great thing, but it helped all the players settle into their roles and try and figure out what they needed to do to contribute. JVG actually worked with well with Steve because Steve could learn the defense from Steve, work on improving the offense but still be a leader.

T-Mac is better than Steve, but either isn't willing or doesn't feel comfortable yet taking over and molding the team in his image. Yao is either too injured, unwilling, or unable to mold it in his image. So we are left with most of the team, not really knowing their roles and how best to contribute to help the team. They just run the plays, but not with a lot of conviction or confidence.

I think when the whole team knows who the leader is, who is going to set the tone, they feel more comfortable with their own roles, and play with the kind of concidence that we need.

I still think the trade was the right one for us to make.

I think T-Mac or Yao will step up and take over at some point. I hope so. It's only two games so there is no need to panic. Once one of our team finds its leader and settles in, the chemistry will develop and we should have an awesome team.

3. amed

amed Contributing Member

The fact that Yao sucks is whats wrong with the team.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

If the Rockets start losing home games, there will be panic in the streets. Look at the NBA so far. Sacramento has lost twice on the road. Lakers won at home and lost on the road. With teams jamming up the paint area, there is a higher number of jumpshots being taken which means the comforts of a home arena is a big difference. If the Rockets are bricking from outside at home and the opponents are lighting it up in the Toyota Center, there will be panic.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

NBA encourages the refs to make calls in favor of the home team. This allows the home crowd to go home with the feeling that they got their money's worth with a home win. The Rockets need to defend the home turf with vigor.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets lost because of some home team officiating, that would be one thing. I think the road is always a tougher place to win, but two games in a row and the team looks like they don't have their collective personality yet. As a team they really need to figure out who they are. I'm still kind of excited about this season, because I believe the team will get it's act together, and we may even put together a nice streak or two during the season. I can't wait.

7. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

I've been a member for years now, and have hardly made any posts because I love to read others opinions than post. I t amazes me to see that the same people that were ready to lynch anyone that bad mouthed YAO a few weeks back, are now saying that he "sucks." There was even a post a couple weeks ago that some people were comparing Yao to Dream (Blasphemy).

By the way Jeff Van Gundy Sucks!

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I am really frustrated but it is EARLY and things will come together when they get to play with each other more. It's hard for me to really get behind the team as there are so many new faces and Stevie was my favorite player but it will take time to get used to the new team. There just seems to be no cohesiveness out there. It's not time to panic, if by the all-star break they're below .500 then we can start to worry but I think things will start to click. Let's give them a chance.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Guys, it's still EARLY and you'll notice that both of the teams that went to China, Houston & Sacremento, look just awful. I flipped over to the Kings-Mavs game and the Kings-Spurs game and I can assure you that in the Mavs game, the Kings looked just as bad as did the Rockets that night. Peja looked as bad as Yao did in the Pistons game. In the Spurs game, it was Webber who looked like crap. It's no coincidence that both teams are 0-2. While there are legitimate questions about this team, it's simply too early to get a proper read on how well they will fare. Folks here should just relax and see how things stand at the end of November.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

My biggest fear when the Rockets made the Magic trade was they that were losing a lot of heart and leadership. I think that’s what has been lacking the first two games. Nobody is playing with any fire. I want to see some blocked shots, diving for loose balls, monster dunks, attacking the basket, hard fouls. What I’ve been seeing is players playing nonchalant basketball and settling for the jumper rather than attacking the rim.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

It seemed to me that when we went to Yao we dominated and got open looks. That's what I saw. Despite his struggle when the offense ran through Yao we flowed. That lasted all of 5 minutes. But it was clear to me. That is what has to happen.

We left way too many shooters wide open.

Howard was lazy defending fast break. He waives like a bullfighter and does not sprint back.

But in my opinion, the stretch with Yao was the indicator of how the offense must focus. Plus that forces him to lead.

12. Charvo

Charvo Member

The only thing that can explain Tayshawn Prince hitting a 3 pointer and Rasheed going off from the perimeter like he's Larry Bird is that home court advantage had something to do with it. It's not like the Rockets were blown out in either game. The opposing team made numerous jumpshots that there was no way they would make in the Toyota Center. Yao missed two chippy jumpshots against the Pistons. He didn't even try a jumpshot against the Raptors. JJ is almost a zero from beyond the arc the 1st two games.

The foul disparity for home teams is just crazy. This is not the NFL. NBA manipulates the refs much more than the NFL.

Rockets need a bit of homecooking now as it relates to perimeter shooting and officiating.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why does everyone act surprised about Rasheed hitting some clutch baskets? He's only been doing that his whole basketball life, Mo and Juwon "guarding" him makes it pretty easy.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DavidS couldn't agree more. You nailed it. I'll take the frustration and the heartache now at the start of the season because I know once this team gets rolling, watch out. Unlike last season I think this team is capable of putting on some big win streaks. You can tell the players are just not comfortable out there right now, but it will come. I like what I see so far. The NBA season is a marathon not a sprint.

15. prlen

prlen Member

Totally agree!
    yes,pls force yao to lead.
    PLUS
    "I'm waiting for Yao to do his thing in the post. He's waiting for me to attack," McGrady said. "Did I think it was going to click right away? Not at all."

16. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

Motumbo looked good in the first game. Why didn't he play in the second game?:confused:

17. noize

noize Contributing Member

I don't wan't to make any excuses but is it a coincident that both the Rockets and Kings, the only two team that went to China are now sitting alone at 0-2?

18. leehoang

leehoang Member

Nothing is wrong, everyone on this board always overracts just cause we lost 2 strait.

19. buddry

buddry Member

Our coach is the problem. I knew he wasn't the right coach before he coached his first game last year.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

G. All of the above. (except for the Yao injury...)