1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Wrong With Our Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Nov 3, 2004.

Tags:
?

Reason 4 Rough Start...

1. Lack of Team Chemistry

216 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Need a better point

90 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. TMac is a ball hog

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Yao is injured

30 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Our defense is really bad right now

53 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Too early to tell

126 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

NO excuse for playing BAD DEFENSE. That's not JVG's style. JVG's defense only give up 39 to 41% FG shooting...not 46%!!! That's why they lost!!!

2. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Can anyone explain what our offensive scheme is? I've only seen the Pistons' game on TNT and I can't really make out what our strategy is.

Not to harp on things, but the spacing isn't really there, and I don't see a lot of cuts to the basket. I see Yao coming out to set a pick for McGrady often, and he's often on the high block. Seems like Detroit was fronting him a lot so we had some trouble feeding the ball to post.

Overall, I thought the team was somewhat confused.. but isn't it part of the coach's job to simplify the scheme or to adapt the gameplan to the current crop of players until we get some wins under our belt to be comfortable?

I would really appreciate an explanation of what we're trying to do out there with our offense...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the game thread, but it is also relevant here:

Problems with this team, as I see them.

First let me say it is early, and I feel the team will not really be at it's peak until Sura gets back and they have time to play together.

However, after watching the first 2 games here are some of the major issues to fix.

1. (problem) PG play, our PGs are not doing a very good job of getting the ball moving or to Yao in time to get the inside/out offense working. Also, neither one of them seem to be the type of real PG that Yao and Tmac could benefit from.
    (solution) Get Sura healthy and fast, this team needs someone that can control the tempo, make a good entry pass, and push the ball and get some early offense.

2. (problem) Neither Mo Taylor, nor J. Howard fit very well with Ming on the low post. We need a PF like Horry that can spread the defense out, our spacing is horrible right now and we are making it far too easy for the other team to double team Yao.
    (solution) Padgett - He may be a better fit, as he can hustle, does not try to post up and can shoot the 3 point shot better. Also it allows Mo to be the main scorer with the 2nd team, something we desperatly need.

3. (problem) Lack of quickness all over the floor. Mo Taylor, Yao Ming, Charlie Ward and Jimmy Jackson are all going to be slower than the person they are guarding most every night. We have a significant lack of footspeed on this team, and those with quicks are not good enough to start.
    (solution) more zone defense, it would allow the Rockets to close down many holes and it hides people with average footspeed.

4. (problem) chemistry, it is clear these guys are not used to playing together, and it is showing on offense and defense.
    (solution) patience and more time to allow them to jell, it does not help that we opened up on the road against one great team, and one young team that has a dynamic PG to set the table.

Don't panic, we will get there, but I think we need to get a PG who is more of an athlete (sura) and a PF who can spread the floor ( Padget), and play more zone.

Just my .02.

DD

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

One of the biggest problems for the Rockets right now is Yao ... He can't hold on to the ball when he gets it because it is easily slapped away from him. This makes it damn hard to even get him the ball ... period.

If Yao can't learn to get a strong grip on the ball and get better position ... This team is in trouble.

Last years offense was nearly as anemic as this years has been so far, but the difference was that last years team actually played defense and was respectable on the boards.

All is definitely not lost, but it is pretty obvious that it is going to take this team some time to gel defensively and offensively.

The question is will they gel too late for it to do any good this season.

5. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Alot of things could be better, but this statement pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I can't stand having to say this, but it's true. The Yao with attitude at the Olympics is gone and has been replaced by timid Yao that spends too much time flopping and whining for calls, holding the ball weakly or too low, not boxing out, not finishing any shots strongly on which he's fouled and generally playing passively. To top it off, he can't make jumpers or free throws.

I know it's only two games and they need time to work through some stuff, but playing like a pansy is not a product of learning to play with an overhauled roster. It's simply playing like a pansy.:mad:

6. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

1. Yao is a p***y
    2. JVG can't coach

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DaDa

Team Speed is killing us
    We lose EVERY long rebound . .. .

Rocket River

8. rocket3forlife2

I been yelling at the tv the whole game screaming this same thing!!!
    yao need to just say "its my fault I haven't been playing up to par."then maybe he will play alot smarter and tougher.hes playing like a 7 foot 5 shooting guard right now and thats just weak.iam not trying to bash yao yet,but I knew he wasn't ready to lead this year after watching the playoffs last year,and oh yeah, our defense is not that good,because we traded it oralndo right now .

9. rocket3forlife2

1.yao- Iam gonna give him one more game beofore I say that .

2.jvg-this the team he wanted so if he cant't compete then he needs to be fired.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I agree.

But that also has to do with anticipation. I see a lot of guys rushing the basket on those long shots.

Crazy. But we do need some team speed.

11. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Its JVG thats what is wrong with this team.

The offense takes after him...Its tired and ugly to look at!

:mad:

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Good teams seem to have big men who are also quick, we don't have a single one other than Boki or Padgett, and neither of them really qualify as a big man.

DD

13. DavidS

True. That's why I think that we'd be great picking up a long, lean, athletic PF/SF that can rebound/hustle and board. A young Bosh-type guy. Not necessarily a scorer. Just a guy that causes havoc and can board.

A good complement for Yao. He's not quick of foot. :)

14. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

Do you remember when Yao was in his Rookie year? He seemed to be faster and liked to play and show off, and I don't remember people stripping the ball from him that much.

I didnt call Yao a p***y 2 years ago.

That lil vampire has sucked the blood out of SF and will suck the blood out of Yao.

15. SA Rocket

Oooohhh, please can I be the one to say it first? You mean someone like a guy drafted #7....:D :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. DavidS

Yep! :(

17. SA Rocket

Generally I still wish him well in his recovery and career, but it's times like tonight that really piss me off when I think they could be so set with their big 3 young guns!

18. DavidS

His rookie year, it was a wait and see situtation. No one knew how he would play. Then, the season started and everyone was calling him a FLOP! It never got to that, "wuss!" calling.

Then, Yao had a breakout game, and then a 20 pointer (pucker up Barkley). From then on, everyone knew he had game. And everyone expect him to play like that every game! That's when the "wuss" comes out. Fans want him to play hard everynight! And for good reason! :mad:

He did get the ball stripped back then. Not very much. But that's because he didn't get the ball very often! :D As far as faster. Sure. He was faster. But he was also very, very weak in the post.

#38 DavidS, Nov 3, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  19. patlabor1

patlabor1 Member

I too have picked up on this trend.

In his rookie year Yao "could do the shanghai shake"

Now, no way in hell he has the agility to move side to side for fakes and a reverse lay.

JVG and Ewing having been getting him to beef up and put more weight with the logical inclination for him to play a power game ala Shaq but this has never materialized last year or this year, he still plays soft but with a 310 body and with no (less) agility at all.

In his rookie year he could make that quick one handed dunk against Big Ben but lacked any confidense to do it night in night out.

This year he could only move like that in his dreams.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Man,

I was also thinking how well EG would fit on this team.

JVG made that call, and it is on him if EG blossoms in Minnesota.

We could have signed him for cheap this summer.

I think JVG is a big problem, never liked him as a coach, and nothing he has done in Houston has changed my mind.

Should have gotten Dunleavy.

DD