1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to John Wall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2021.

?

John Wall

1. Traded

139 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Stays

134 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden is the type of dude to walk out of practice and eat butterfingers and hit the club with some new rap god.

John Wall is the type of guy to leave the practice floor and comeback 20 minutes later with gasoline and start the arena on fire while drunk slurring “**** your rotations Silas.”

Wall isn’t giving up any money and he isn’t passing the ball and he isn’t sitting on the bench.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d love to trade Wall but I don’t think he’s as selfish as he’s made out to be on here. Having him around to mentor KPJ and Green is fine. If those 2 play well there are plenty of minutes available even with Wall and Gordon around.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think he played selfishly last season because he was rehabbing back to NBA pace after two years off. Once he saw where the team was heading he just tried to regain his own confidence.
    Hopefully…

CXbby, ak99999, Grizzlyshark and 2 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Silas is a big part of the problem with his judgment of players.

hakeem94, saleem, King1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you elaborate? Does this go beyond John Wall? Is it an inability to separate guys that are good with guys he likes (this was my read of the Wall situation), or he is he actually a bad judge of talent?

6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Do you think John Wall will start?

If so does that mean that KPJ or Green will come off the bench? I am worried that green begins season off the bench and he holds a grudge against Silas.

7. fattz

fattz Member

I think both Wall & Gordon should start.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Silas and Stone need to see it for what it is. If Wall plays 6th man and plays well, he will have regained some sort of trade value at the ASB or after the season. Mind you that the value might not be positive but maybe where we could dump him for an acceptable cost (IE a pick in the late first round). I think teams can extrapolate from that role what he could do in increased minutes/shots. Plus he has a higher chance of staying healthy. We don't gain much potential value compared to that scenario by starting him. Plus, maybe he just decides to opt out after this season, as unlikely as that probably is.

If we don't want to make him 6th man, we just need to let him stay home and pay him to do nothing. I fully understand that veterans are important and that is why we have Nwaba, Augustin, Gordon and Theis.

We want to have a core and a direction by this time next year. We need to know what we have in KPJ by this time next year. I'd rather have KPJ with Gordon starting than Wall with Green starting if it comes down to one vet and one young player. If KPJ flakes out or just doesn't impress, we might be using our pick next year or trading for a point guard even thought it is a draft of bigs/wings.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Moahst

Moahst Member

Wall will start lol. For trade reasons and others. I like having three starting caliber guards, it reminds me of the days of Harden/Lou/Gordon/Bev. One of Wall/KPJr/Green will go down periodically with an injury and if they can all set aside their egos there would be smooth sailing.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

HAHAHAHA!!!! That was a funny take!!! So true

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Wall will and need to start. We need experience on this team.....do not worry Porter will get his minutes at point guard. I think Wall is only 30 years old and he is going to BLOW up. He is going to average his career points and assist a game or close to it.....19.5 points a game and over 10 assists a game. He is going to put Wood, Porter, Gordon and Green in the purpose spot to shoot and he is going to blossom.

hakeem94 and ak99999 like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

James will be in the club all night before a game and then come out and put up a 60 point triple double.

Wall will start his BS and talk…then back it up with 5-20 shooting and 5+ turnovers

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  13. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Yeah Walls starting. No doubt in my mind.

With the Cavs playing KPj at the 3 I can def see him starting there too, though in a completely different role than he was on the Cavs. There should be a lot more ball handling.

I just really hope that Silas has a BUNCH of sets for these guys to run because watching all 3 guards playing iso ball while Wood and whoever (probably Tate) run shuttles all game is gunna get tiring to watch.

Make no mistake though, if this works to even 60% of its potential, It will be successful.

More screens that aren't just Wood. More space for Wall to ISO and kick, and if Green shoots around 36-38% from 3 and KPj ups his numbers (which there is no reason why they shouldn't) then the up tempo, drive kick and screen game should be beautiful to watch.

I think the depth chart will look like:

Wall/Gordon/Augustine/Brooks (g-league)
    Green/Nwaba/Christopher(g-league)
    KPJ/House/Khyri (g-league?)
    Tate/Thies/Garuba (g-league)
    Wood/Sengun/Hurt (2way/g-league)

Wall and KPJ share the ball handling duties, though if we could pull Rubio from the Cavs (Gordon to Griz, PatBev & House to Cavs, Rubio to Rockets), that would be a great 3rd ball handling guard.

14. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Agreed. I think Silas was hired in an attempt to appease Harden. Not sure he’s our guy for a rebuild.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Wall is one of a number of veterans that ideally would be gone early in the season. Wall, Gordon and House are three of the top.

luckyman76, jch1911 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Dennis Schroder signs for $4M, and John Wall will make $44M? Different players, but both starters, crazy how much of a discrepancy there is in compensation for a starting player. Based on what Schroder just signed for, who will pay 10X as much for Wall and for multiple years of commitment?

hakeem94 and Corrosion like this.
  17. txtodd

txtodd Member

Could be, but for the love of all things defensive rebounding, I really hope that’s not the starting lineup

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

19. fattz

fattz Member

If this is where Green is as person then it best it happens quickly because we don’t won’t to build around a person not willing to pay dues and what is best for the team.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Won't worry about him, he still getting them checks.