1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What Happens to John Wall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2021.

?

John Wall

1. Traded

139 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Stays

134 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thank you! I would have to check his per quarter stats, but it seemed like he would pass more in the first half and then play hero ball in the 2nd half.
    I could be totally wrong, but IIRC his per 36 and average assists were some of his lowest of his career last season. Some of that is teammates and some of it is "F it, if I don't shoot, we will lose... and then we lost anyway"

That being said, I think one of two things likely happens next season:(1) Wall goes and is a "good teammate" and tries to restore that glory that had him as a 1st overall pick (he is still currently IIRC #2 or #3 in active assists per game) so a team trades for him at the deadline or (2) he thinks he is better than Chris Paul and decides to show the NBA by dragging this team to the playoffs. I am ok with either scenario.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

In the last 5 years only 4 players have averaged 10 assists a game in a season: Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, John Wall. To suggest he isn't a top tier facilitator when the only other players to do so in the last 10 years are Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo and Steve Nash is ridiculous at best.

Rochut likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's where his real value is. If he wants to get moved to a winning team, his best option is to get closer to 10 assists per game than 20 points. Hopefully he realizes that. The team was a mess last year. Hopefully with a real preseason and a little less fluctuation in the roster, he can concentrate on that role and increase the chance that someone else may take a chance on him this year or next.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Wall stays , then it’s up to the coaches to balance them out

I see

g wall
    G Porter jr
    f green
    F theis
    C wood

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just hope he shoots less.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I see no reason why Wall couldn't be a very valuable member of the team whilst he's here tbh. People really need to go look at his yearly numbers and stop judging him based on last season with him coming back off injury and everything else that happened with the team. He's unquestionably one of the top playmaking PG's of the last decade and people are acting like he's the biggest scrub around, it's pure ridiculousness. Sure, he's probably never going to be a sure-fire all star again, but I don't think it's remotely out of the question that he gets back to being a very good playmaking PG. People judge him like he's a big chucker, and his career really doesn't support that. He was always more of a distributor than a scorer and his stats support it.

Shark44, Kevooooo and theDude like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he can absolutely be a winning player, he has skills and the physical tools, even health, the only question is will he respect silas and rockets org and be a team player or he'll act like a diva and do his toughfaced ballhoggin act

8. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I don't get why people keep discussing John Wall trades.
    A team like the rockets should be looking to take on another John Wall from another team while getting rewarded in picks, not the other way around...

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I mean he did do the franchise a favor didn't he?

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Most people don't judge him based off of his stats at all ..... they judge him on his cap hit which eats up literally 40% of a the total "under the cap" & the results (17-55) simply don't support him being worth that amount.

I think a lot of teams and many Rockets fans would be happy to have Wall at say $18m instead of $44.

Hate to say it but I hope he chucks more this year than last .... as the best thing that can happen to this team is another top 2 pick and we need our Tank Commander to deliver the goods.

Next offseason starts with a bang ..... With the #1 pick in the 2022 NBA draft the Houston Rockets select Duke Forward Paolo Banchero .... and then trade Wall & his expiring $47m contract for a superstar.

jch1911 likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, people are straight up calling him trash, selfish and a career chucker based off last season, it has **** all to do with his contract. That's a separate thing entirely, and irrelevant to what I was talking about.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's like saying you owe a thanks to drunk driver who totaled your car, crippled your wife and put you in a coma.

But while you were in hospital for 6 months, you were diagnosed with cancer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Heat looking for a pg after paying Lowry 30m a yr?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

#1 seed in the east with this team and they're going to just dump lowry because?

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Just play him 15 mpg off the bench next year and try and trade him at the deadline

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Thats why I think it’s weird they are looking at wall with so much money committed to Lowry

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're looking at wall? haven't seen anything credible that says that's apparent

20. fattz

fattz Member

He will be the prodigal son next year. Let Porter be the 6th man or traded. Wall sets the rookies and sophomores up for success as the starting point guard. Wall with 12+ dimes a night playing limited time. He is not going anywhere.

Corrosion likes this.