1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You completely mistook his point.

He is saying Lin's sample size is not indication of whether he will continue to be good.

Since, in this case, even guys like Devin Harris who not only looked promising, but has had seasons worth of stats to confirm his potential, ended up being nothing special.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

All I am asking you is to name some other "outlier"s around the league and support your "outlier" statement. If you can't even do that, then really "who cares" about you and your hate.

3. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

But why pick players that end up being busts? There are hundreds of players that started with stats worse than Lin's first 50 games that ended up being very good players. Either argument can be spun to make Lin look bad or good. So why do you think apollo picked Devin Harris to make his point? Why not pick Rajon Rondo's first year, where he averaged 6.4 points and 3.8 assists?

Let me ask you a question? Why are you guys so intent on playing down a spectacular game? I mean, what do you have to gain from a new Rocket player having an undeniable spectacular game?

4. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

By the way flame, you're the one mistaking my point. Players like Devin Harris need years of stats to have a few games with numbers like Lin had. I've been quoting numbers all night. Do you have any players that ended up being busts that has the kind of numbers that Lin has had in his first 50?

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

How many players get the opportunity to play as many minutes as Lin has in their first 50 games with the chance to dominate the ball the way Lin has?

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Like Tony Parker said post game. His first career triple double wouldn't of meant anything if they lost the game. It's only one game either but I'm glad he shows that he can be aggressive again.

7. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Well those are subjective and not quantifiable ("chance to dominate the ball"). So I guess you're taking it off facts and numbers to subjective assessment.

So then, is your assessment that any player given the minutes and "chance to dominate the ball" will put up similar numbers to Lin? As anyone can see, I haven't twisted your logic given your presupposition. I can't really factually argue with numbers against that -- except to say that not many here would agree with that. And the history of the NBA would argue against that.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

You're not honestly trying to compare college-level sports with the pro-level, are you?

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You still don't get it.

He picked players that ended up being bust to prove the point that players that "look promising" don't always end up being as good as they were touted.

Also, I am not downplaying the game. He hasn't been good this whole season, and one game does not vindicate his past performances. I want him to continue doing what he does.

For that matter, have you seen how bad Harden was treated when he had a 39/9/7 game? New threads were started, random accusations of stat hogging was thrown, and most of those people, as expected, were giant Lin fans. Now Lin also has a good game, and those people are singing a different tune for him.

I frankly am happy for both. But I'm sure a lot of posters, including myself, are more annoyed by the ridiculous double standards Lin fans consistently throw out. And I feel a lot of what's going on in this thread is in retaliation for what was going on in the previous threads that trashed Harden's performance as "stat hogging". But at least Lin isn't being accused of stat hogging.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, Devin Harris was a pretty good player whose career just got derailed. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Lin's career followed the first half of his career trajectory.

11. zdrav

zdrav Member

It was mainly because it was perceived that Harden's game came at the expense of Lin's.

Lin's stats against San Antonio didn't eat away at Harden's game b/c Harden was out injured.

Can't compare the two. Perhaps if LOFs start cheering Lin even when he is perceived to be putting Harden off his game, you can make this complaint.

12. rbbanalyst

rbbanalyst New Member

All Lin's performance against the Spurs shows is that he has significant potential - he is not going to average those numbers over the season - but he can average chris paul numbers, 17 and 9 easily - lets not forget that as Asik/Greg Smith get better at finishing, Lin AND Harden's assist numbers will go up. Lin would be averaging at least 2 if not 4 more assists per game this season if those 2 were finishing better, Harden at least 1 if not 2 more. I can't blame asik right now since he probably played the last 3 games a little sick.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What does that have to do with anything? You were trying to downplay Tebow's attention by saying he wasn't a good football player and therefore was undeserving of the attention unlike Lin who was actually performing. I brought up college because thats when the Tebow craze began and at that point in time he was very deserving of the attention he was getting. Attention for being an athlete does not matter if you are in college or the pros.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

Are you insane? 17 and 9 would be elite numbers. Lin won't average those numbers "easily".

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

I was talking about Tebowmania when it began with the Broncos. Before that, only football fans really knew or cared about who Tebow was.

Good, even great, college players are so much more common than good pro players.

You simply cannot equate Tebow's successes at Florida with Lin's accomplishments at the highest level in his sport. Hey, Jeremy Lin was a pretty good NCAA player too.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting that Lin once again excelled when called upon to step up in the face of injuries to other players.

What does this say about Lin?

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Actually both things are pretty quantifiable. Minutes are not subjective and if you want to find out how much somebody dominated the ball you can check their usage rate to get a good idea.

I'm saying that you can't just look at somebodies first 50 games because not everybody was given the same chance Lin was as far as minutes and ball control go. Lin was handed the keys to the car from the start.

18. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I get that he is using Devin Harris to argue that Lin's impressive numbers from a very small sample does not always lead to the promised land. I get it. Dude, now try getting this.

What I'm saying is the above argument does not work. Get it? apollo is picking a very good season from Devin Harris in his fifth year, already knowing that he then did not materialize quite the way those numbers indicated. But those numbers are from his BEST year, not his first 50 games. Do you understand that THAT argument is not sound?

19. zdrav

zdrav Member

Not under Mike Woodson, and certainly not under Kevin Mchale/Kelvin Sampson.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I wasn't talking about Tebow with just the broncos when I brought it up. I knew plenty of people that hated Tebow way before the Broncos days and it was because of the media attention. I don't see why the time would only be restricted to the Broncos when we are talking about people hating players because of media attention. This conversation wasn't about how good a player was but instead why the player was hated. When Tebow was playing great he was hated because of the media attention which is similar to why Lin was hated when he was playing great.