1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What adjustments do we have to make?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 1, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Adjust time zone, still playing the game at midnight.

2. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The issue isn't that the Rockets are predictable.

The issue is that the Rockets lost game 1 with some poor officiating and then executed poorly in game 2.

The Rockets win games at a high clip by winning the turnover battle, going to the line more than their opponent, shooting a lot of 3 and switching at the right times.

The Rockets lost the turnover battle badly, the free throw battle was close to 50/50 and the Rockets switches were not all that great.

The series is not over, but there is very little margin for error. The Rockets are very capable of winning the next two at home and making it a 3 game series.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Excellent point...... Green barely can get off the ground, but he doesn't need to... he knows exactly what is about to happen. Usually the "smart" thing to do is to seal the lane with the guy driving the lane.......... and that is what most players do with Harden, so Green switches it up and plays the trailer.

It would only take a few times of James getting Green off balance, to make it a literal 50/50 call for Green. Also, drive to the basket and get contact on Green and try to get him in foul trouble. The Warriors have no one else that can replace him.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The rebounding really isn't the difference so far. Protecting the ball has been a bigger issue.

The Rockets win last night if they don't turn it over so often.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Not a single minute in Game 2 did I think we were going to win that game.

Never felt that way in our conference finals matchup last year, regular season games against them this year.

We need to have more resistance of defense, play with a little sense of urgency on offense.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We are forcing a lot of GS turnovers as well , I agree that that's an area for improvement ; but we've got to finish defensive possessions and stop allowing those reset 3's .... probably one of the worst shots we can give up

Nook likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

TO's are a problem but i think the offensive rebounds are a huge issue also. Its creating entirely way too many extra possessions for the warriors. it's already hard enough to limit them to 1 possession. These two for sure need to be corrected and or improved.

Nook, Rasheed and RocketOrg like this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

- better transition defense
    - box out Iggy on the lob
    - box out in general and get some boards
    - stop forcing the entry pass to Capela when they drop back their defense
    - take the open 3 when available (looking at you Beard, even if you can't look at me or the rim)

This would be enough to win both games 1 and 2

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Ganesha is the remover of obstacles. As a Hindu, I approve. As a rational thinker, I don't think Ganesha, were he to actually exist, would support the specific cause of Houstonian basketball fans.

Perhaps we need to pray to Pimp C.

Nook likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Remove Curry’s ankle

Nook likes this.
  11. Zergling

Zergling Member

The obvious adjustment is playing Capela way less, and I wouldn't start him if the Warriors start small again which they will.

I can't believe it will take D'Antoni 2 full games to realize that this series isn't made for Capela. Slowest playoff coach in the league by far.

You play Capela when they have Looney or Bogut out there and then immediately bench him when the Warriors go small again.

Our small ball can beat theirs because our math is better.

RocketOrg likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook likes this.
  13. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

And don’t waste 20 seconds out of every shot clock and then shoot a wild 3 —-penetrate, look for inside players, the 2-point basket is a better result than 0 points after a crazy 3-point shot.
    Hussle for the rebounds- not happening
    Schumpert - need to keep him on the bench.
    Faried - needs to play more, lots more
    Durant - double team him. Make someone else
    take the shot.
    Coppella - wake up and start playing

14. mastan

mastan Member

Rocket's small lineup sucks.. all under-heights......
    small lineup may work if you have a 7feet SF like Kevin Durant... else not specially with Rockets super undersized lineup.

15. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Agree completely. Play Faried more. Sometimes it’s just about matchups, and he killed it the last time was hit significant minutes against the Warriors. Also, Nene needs to see significant time on the court. His legs are fresh and he’s playing well. No one on the Warriors can move him out of the picture, which means they won’t get as many second chance shots. This is why I don’t like Capela playing so many minutes. He’s getting pushed around in the paint so he is t able to grab many rebounds or receive lob passes from Harden or Paul. Plus, he can’t shoot FT’s to save his life. On the other hand, Nene has been solid at the line and he has a decent game offensively, something Capela doesn’t have.

16. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Should we give Hartenstein some minutes?

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

The lineups that suck even more than our small ball are the ones with Clint Capela in it.

Our Tucker lineups without a center or at least without Capela had a positive +/- Need to use those more.

Without Cousins, the Warriors have no counter to the Rockets small ball lineup. MDA just needs to keep Capela on the bench as a cheerleader. Only bring him in when Tucker needs a breather or if they throw a center out there like Looney and Bogut.

18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

1. Crash the boards. Biggest issue. How many second chance attempts have the Rockets gotten so far? How many for GS? Maybe try Capela and Faried at times, or Nene and Faried, and hope GS's shooters don't go wild.

2. Get the ball in Gordon's hands more/earlier in the shotclock. Harden's playing hard on defense for the most part, but GS's defenders have limited his opportunities from deep, and he and CP3 have looked out of sorts together.

3. Play Harden and CP3 together less??? Maybe it's GS's size advantage (and KD) but the two haven't looked efficient playing together as I see it. Maybe Harden's just not getting open when CP3's running the offense? Whatever, CP3 and the second unit have looked good. Austin certainly earned his minutes.

4. Make Nene 3 or 5 years younger. He's played amazing in limited minutes this series. Like, where has he been all year? But Capela... damn. Seriously, I like the guy and know he was sick, but there were several loose balls even last night that he didn't go after and GS is all over the pick-and-roll with he and Harden. If he can't rebound and catch lobs he's a liability.

5. Make KD shorter. This is where the Rockets miss Ariza's size. PJ's the man, but Durant's too big and skilled (that still doesn't make KD any less of a B for joining GS in the first place though). But props to Durant... I hate him but he's playing like one of the greats right now.

6. Understand KD's going to get his points; the Rocket's can't give up defensive rebounds and second chance points when he misses. THAT'S a killer.

7. Play harder--get back on defense and quit turning the ball over. GS is going to capitalize on mistakes. Don't leave their scrubs open for easy layups. You might come back against them once or twice a game, but you're not going to get away with it again and again.

8. Have the NBA watch the slow-mo when Green tried to gouge out Harden's eyes. There's an angle where it clearly appears intentional, just like what he did to Lebron was intentional. The dude should be assessed a technical before every tip off.

9. Turnovers should come down at home. If Capela shows up; Harden's aggressive and takes/makes his threes and gets to the free throw line; and Gordon plays like he usually does against GS (or CP3 has huge games); AND the refs call it fair, I think the Rockets can easily even this series.

10. I'll probably look back on this someday and say to myself what a stupid and long-winded post it was, but the Rockets have been one of my obsessions the last few years and I want to see them win this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Have Rivers or one of the bench players come in and stick their foot under Klay or Steph's landing spot (take out their ankles). Or one of the bigs to rake Dreymond's eyes. If they go dirty, you have to as well.

I realize how it sounds, but I kinda don't care.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

GREAT POST!

FrontRunner likes this.