1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Week 17] Rest vs. Momentum

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Dec 24, 2011.

?

Now that the Texans are locked as No. 3 seed, which is the bigger Week 17 priority?

1. Rest

34.7%
  2. Momentum

65.3%
  1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Sorry, I was reading an uninformed tweeter.

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I say play to win, wait play to crush the titans. After losing 2 games we shoulda won this young team needs all the momentum and confidence they can get. Andre needs to play, idc what anyone says.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

HAHA. For they Steelers to win the AFC North, they'd have to be 12-4 which is obviously better than we can finish.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Play normal. No rest.

5. Raven

Raven Member

If you're playing your QB, you're playing everyone else.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Play to win in the first half, then rest them in the second. Might be good to give Delhome some minutes, just in case.

7. ThaShark316_28

By NO MEANS, should ANY starter play in the 2nd half.

8. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Let Cushing and co. rest!

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

OD for QB! ;):grin:

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Go full throttle, crush the Titans, and blast into the playoffs with big Mo on your side. Limping into the playoffs is for sissies. Texans have something to prove. They still don't know if they are legit or not. Going into the playoffs with a three game losing streak, well, they will surely make it four. Start the playoffs as a winner.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This.

Especially considering that we could be playing the Titans if we "rest" and let them win. We don't want to give them momentum going in while we rest. We need the reps and to regain the intensity we had a few weeks ago.

Every year we see that it is typically the teams that are hottest that do well in the playoffs. Packers, Cardinals, etc. We need to go in on a positive note and feeling good about ourselves to get confidence up.

12. ThaShark316_28

Signed,
    the 2009 Saints.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Bengals control their fate, but they could lose to the Ravens, who have a lot to pay for.

Next in line is Oakland (assuming Broncos takes care of KC in Denver), who would be in with a win and a Bengals loss. San Diego has nothing but pride left, so Oakland should take that at home.

Afterwards, it's the Titans and the Jets. There's also this weird thing if the Dolphins win at home vs the Jets, then Tennessee has the tie-break over Oakland, but if the Jets win, then it's Oakland.

I'm thinking the first home game for the Texans will be:

40% Cincy
    35% Oakland
    20% Tennessee
    05% Jets

Of course, opinions about percentages mean nothing. That said, why should the Texans help out the Jets by beating Tennessee? The Jets backdoored into the playoffs at the Texans expense a few years ago. It's time to pay them back. Most likely, losing to the Titans (by resting everyone in the 2nd half) will have no effect on the playoffs because it's either going to be Cincy or Oakland. But if the small possibility arises by Cincy and Oakland failures, then the Texans could very well be integral in determining their first round opponent. F' the Jets. Even though they're flawed, the Titans aren't great either. I'd love a first rd game at Reliant vs the Titans.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

In the case that us losing next week lets the Titans in the playoffs..Hypothetically I wouldn't want their win over us looming over the Texan's heads since we would have to face them. They would have a recent one-up on us which would only boost their confidence.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I fear playing teams again after just beating them. Teams that lose always have more to play for the next time, and the stakes being higher only puts more pressure on the winner to back their performance up with a repeat. In short, no matter how much better you are than the other team, it gets harder the next time around.

By that rule, I am rooting for the Raiders to make it. That would be something, to get another crack at a team that beat us in the most inane manner earlier this year. And have it back at Reliant too. I'll take that momentum any day of the week.

My preference following that:

2. Bengals
    3. Titans
    4. Jets

16. pocketrocket81

Could someone inform me about a playoff scenario please. If we are the division winner with an 11 and 5 record and we face the steelers in the afc championship game and they are the wildcard team with a 12 and 4 record...The game would be in Houston ,correct?

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes. We should be cheering for the 4/5 winner (likely the Steelers) in the division round so that we would have a chance at a home AFC title game.

18. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Get yates reps. Let AJ shake the rust off then put him up....

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I *really* wanted to go 6-0 in the Conference!
    5-1 is better than 4-2

Rocket River

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That started 13-0. Not the Texans.