1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We might have the worst defensive frontcourt in the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Feb 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think there's a 99% chance that Morey drafts a big PF/C prospects in the upcoming draft. Thinking Greg Monroe here.

The other 1% chance involves us getting Chris Bosh.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oops. Fixed.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

LMAO @ these two threads

We're probably not the worst in the NBA but we lost a lot of our defensive toughness with the loss of Yao and Artest from last year's line-up. For all his quirkiness, Artest made our team tougher at the 3 all the way to 5.

When Landry was still with us also, didn't other teams say of us that we've got a small but physical, bruising frontline? I thought we could have at least kept Joey Dorsey. We need size in the paint. Scola and Hayes at this point of the season may be running on empty already or close to.

These last 25 or so games will be important for management to assess what holes we still have and how to plug that up. We need a PF/C who can defend and score.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm just not overly worried about this right now. I believe Morey is going to land us a 4 this offseason and the return of Yao (hopefully) should help a great deal. Not that I don't care about this year, I just feel like it's somewhat of a free pass. I want to see some other guys play, like Hill for one to see if he has anything at all. If this was happening next year I'd be much more concerned. As far as now though, it's probably who we are and that sucks

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Another Captain Obvious sighting!

Maybe now people will realize just how important Yao Ming to our defensive scheme even though he is slow and a not great shot blocker. We're going to win with team defense, not individual.

6. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

cut anderson
    do not pick up option for hayes
    sign armstrong minimum
    sign brad miller small amount of mle
    trade brooks,ny picks for bosh
    draft willie warren,move lowry to starter
    sign scola cheaply,if not bye bye

7. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Andersen isn't the problem, he's the 9th man on this team. If you're blaming your team's woes on the 9th man, you are seriously delusional and letting 8 other players off easy.

Hayes is a decent one-on-one defender, but he is not a shot-blocker or defensive post presence.

Jeffries is a decent one-one-one defender and an ok weak side shot blocker, but he isn't a Deke-like presence in the middle, which is what we need.

As I've said in other threads, this trade was for next season, not this season. Next season we will have a 7'6 guy standing there waiting for the opposing guards to get to the basket.

8. BarkleyHater84

Yeah, I agree, absolutely no legit shotblocking on this team. Hakeem blocked more shots as an infant than this team could....

9. anchel

anchel Member

This season Hayes has relaxed and lowered his defensive intensity. The attitude night in and night out is not the same as the one we got used to. Defensively he's doing one good game for every 3-4 with absolutely no presence. Remember he's the shorter starting center in history for a reason, if he's not playing 120%, he's going to be a problem. Under these conditions his starting role should not be considered that immovable. He's giving us subpar defense at the center position, plus little offensive help.

David's presence is even far worse, he's soft, too unathletic, and a rookie who gets no respect. Scola has good fundamentals and a good technique but a very limited body. Jeffries has been playing as SF almost his entire career. He has the height but he's not a pure big man and doesn't have the experience at that position. He always has been very good improving the collective defense, but he's a bad defensive rebounder as PF, he has no jump and no intimidation, and opponents are going to outmuscles him inside.

Landry was a poor defensive PF (often questionable attitude, derisory reach), and very poor defensive rebounder.

Under these conditions is not surprising the level the team is giving.

Hill has the body, the athleticism and the potential to be our best inside presence. And that's what we need, some inside presence more than Hayes collective help. At least this is my opinion... I think it would be worth to start giving some opportunities to Jordan Hill.

10. anchel

anchel Member

Greg Monroe looks like a potential very good player, but maybe we need more an Ekpe Udoh or a Larry Saunders. (My favorite is Aldrich but won't be able for us).

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

*fixed*

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if they can kee scoring like that, i think we'll let it pass NEXT YEAR when yao returns (with either battier/ariza).

but yes, a healthy kevin martin is terrible defensively. morey knew that when he got him. the reason martin was acquired is b/c of his offensive efficiency and he has done that the last 2 games.

so stop complaining.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Frontcourt players inherently seem to have more defensive responsibility than perimeter players.

A. They are the last line of defense. A center is almost like a goalie in hockey or soccer since they are often the very last chance at keeping the ball out of the basket.

B. Frontcourt players often have to defend perimeter players on switches and when they get around the first line of defense while perimeter defenders much less rarely are responsible for defending opposing bigs. It happens but it's much less frequent. Big men end up defending a perimeter player in some way on almost every single possession while the opposite is not at all the case.

C. Frontcourt players are the tallest. In a sport where height is such a critical component, it's only logical that they have more defensive ability/responsibility. Do you want your shortest player protecting the rim or one of your taller players, even if the perimeter player is considered a better overall defender?

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Somewhat OT: I can agree, c/pf might be one of the most important position as far as team sports is concerned along with goalie (hockey, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, and few other sports), quarterback, and pitcher. Arguably, the most important and vital to a team's success, unlike quarterback, a center is entirely responsible for and expected to play defense (always be on guard).

Especially, given that the center is almost primarily responsible for defense in the post, everything within 10 feet towards basket on most plays. He's also expected to get most of the rebounds.

While on the other hand, a goalie or pitcher is not usually expected to play a big role in the team's offense, on many teams, the center is either the go to guy on offense or one of three main offensive options. He has to set picks, go for rebounds, draw double teams, and sometimes initiate offense. I would argue that a quarterback has the most decision making skills, yet a center has to perform much more responsibilities.

It's the one position out of almost every single sport where your height and size a basic necessity (it's negotiable with goalie and QB), given relative skills, I believe that a shorter-smaller framed center is more detrimental to a team's success than a shorter-smaller framed QBs. One could also argue that a center does not necessarily need as many pieces around him to be successful.

It's really a great question of who could turn a team around faster, a great QB, a great center, or a great goalie?

Which is why a guard's defense (or offense) doesn't necessarily have to be superb or even above average (at times). I'd even almost say that he could be budding towards average across the board on a team with a really good center and still be a somewhat above average player.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I agree, it's a horror show watching Scola, Andersen, Hayes, Jeffries, trying to stop anyone in the post. It's Murder She Wrote... I close my eyes when Andersen comes in, because if he isn't scoring the other team has an advantage all day long.

Big men know to keep the ball high against Chuck and he's getting called for the slap down everytime.

We also have the slowest big men in the league running the floor.

Bottom line we have the slowest, non athletic, non shot blocking front court bar on...

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

We're getting absolutely shredded all-around. I just think that you can put some of the blame everywhere, but at some point you have to question the coaching staff if it's something apparent in the whole team. I'm not saying that's the case yet since there are chemistry issues, so hopefully it will get better, but for the most part a coach is paid to be accountable. I wouldn't hope for anything better this year though, we won't see improvement on defense till next year with this personnel. Don't be surprised if our defense isn't at the top again next year, but if it isn't, it will be on "Rick the ruler."