1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it a Mistake for Beverly to Start at PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rev1274, May 3, 2014.

1. kastuul

kastuul Member

The result is clear.
    Lillard did have good number against HOU.

If Beverley is really an elite defender, he should have stopped him.

2. kastuul

kastuul Member

The myth of the best SG+C, potential all stars and elite defender is a joke.
    It delivered unrealistic expectation.

3. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

with any other coaching staff, Lin starts, plays 32-35 min a game, actually plays Point guarding... Harden actually plays SG and we have him shoot 40% from 3pt... we win championship.

4. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Ultimately I thought Howard, Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik was our best lineup. I don't know how many minutes these guys actually logged together through the season or the playoffs.

Doesn't mean that Bev shouldn't have started, but he clearly wasn't himself the last two playoff games - front-rimming a lot of outside shots and half a step slower than usual.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No the mistake was not giving Dragic the player option.

DD

7. mesta

mesta Member

with Lin and ABZ at the helm our bench was schorching hot. remember the games against spurs, grizzlies and hawks? then everything fell apart. asik went down with injury, casspi lost his shot, abz didn't get playing time, Garcia realized how much is the dfference between minimum salary an 6m.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i would say the only game it might have possibly been a mistake was game 6, when bev clearly looked unwell/fatigued from the start of the game. so only due to his illness it may have been better to just play him off the bench.

9. mesta

mesta Member

BEV was playing with a gimpy knee. It was on Mchale for not realizing it sooner

Dribble penetration is the mainstay of rockets offense. that's why lin was needed to lead the second unit. in hindsight trading ab was a huge mistake.he probably could have provided the spark in the blazers series when harden and howard sit

10. Jim Stinehart

Jim Stinehart Member

Was it a mistake for Beverley to start at PG?

Yes, the numbers are clear.

In the playoffs, Lin had only 177 minutes, while Bev had 202 minutes. Yet Lin scored more points, 68 vs. 52, Lin had over twice as many assists, 26 vs. 11, and Lin had a higher PER: 12.5 vs. 8.9.

The sad thing is that McHale 100% supports Bev, as the amount of playing time above graphically shows. Bev played a lot more minutes than Lin, even though Lin played a lot better than Bev. As biased as so many posters here are against Lin, that pales in comparison to McHale’s dim view of Lin.

11. kastuul

kastuul Member

Blue = Lin
    Purple = Bev.

[​IMG]

HOU go-to small lineups, 12+25+13+7+2, was exposed in Post-season.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

We debated this stuff since the preseason. The season's over. Move on. It's horrifying to think that CF may be filled with the same useless negative threads throughout next season too. They accomplish nothing, just make CF less pleasant. Move on. Enjoy what you have.

13. jamphus

jamphus Member

disagreed.

you have to figure out what you did wrong and then you move on.
    otherwise you'll end up the same in the next year.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Come on now... you know full well this will continue until one of them is no longer on the roster.

15. Rox7

Rox7 Member

Funny Lin lost the the starting spot to Bev because of injury and Bev showed the world what he could do.
    Will the history repeat itself and Lin starts again next year?

Well, the odd is with McHale, No.
    with Morey, Lin will be gone.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't think it's mistake. You have to understand that there are a whole bunch of teams out there with great PGs and we need Beverley to play defense and make it hard on them. Especially Westbrook. Imagine Lin vs Westbrook...c'mon man, it's not even real.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Now i do think Lin has improved his defense especially for this Playoffs games. But is it enough to warrant being a starter? I don't know, it's debatable.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya... Lin's defensive is defenitly underatted. "Not even real"??? Wtf dies that mean. Look, Lin can be a streaky shooter. He can be an inadequate ball handler who is turnover prone. But his defensive is certainly underrated on this board.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can't wait till next year when this trash is no longer in the BBS.

20. Iron21

Iron21 Member

So I'm reading the thread and see that people are ignoring the fact that Bev was playing on bum knees and was so ill that he had to stay in the hospital at one point during the series.

I can agree that starting Lin was the best choice when Bev had a 100+ fever and it was obvious that his knee was holding him back, that's on McHale and his staff. If we're talking about the regular season, which seems like some of you are talking about, then it was no question that Bev should have been the starter.

A 100% Bev was the best choice, because he could cover up some of Harden's mistakes on the defensive end while Lin came in for much needed offense off the bench, simple as that.

Neither are the answer at PG though and I hope for some type of upgrade this off-season. I would like to keep Bev because I would like his energy and passion off the bench.