1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what the specific complaints are about the strength coaches. Like is it something they do or don't do that gets them a lower rating, or are the players just assuming they aren't doing their job properly since we seem to have so many injuries?

3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Locker room? Is the actual, physical space I believe. Not coaches.

Uprising likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

Click the image. Says 'head coach: A- 14th'

[​IMG]

red5rocket and jch1911 like this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Gotcha... I mean A- ain't horrible (probably was Steven Nelson with a B+ that dropped him from an A).

Or maybe all those 1st down runs when CJ was cooking :shrug emoji:

Uprising likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

7. Marshall Bryant

I don't see it. Plus, I wouldn't expect much damage from a Cat 1 Hurricane. Perhaps some light weight items like garbage cams blown into windows and limbs which were weak to begin with.

I'll need to see if there is damage, whether there was indication of a tornado.

8. Marshall Bryant

First question.

Just wondering if there will be a separate thread for training camp or just a change of subjects in this one and when do we transition to a 2024 season thread and does it start before training camp, the first preseason game or the first regular season game?

Second question.

What would be your best explosive receiver line-up assuming the O line is good enough without help leaving 6 eligible receivers with one being the QB?

9. Rockets34Legend

10. Marshall Bryant

Definitely does not look structural. Its the lightweight cover only slightly stronger than an awning. Looks are deceiving. It's like the difference between structural brick and a brick facade.

ROCKSS likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Rodger Metzger will be his first customer.

Colt45 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...talent-2024-top-players-49ers-eagles-dolphins

4. Houston Texans

2023 rank: 32 | 2022 rank: 32

A bit has changed here, huh? The Texans were last year's biggest surprise, as Nico Collins took a major leap forward and Tank Dell, who I expected to be a gadget player and punt returner as a rookie, looked like a superstar before suffering a season-ending fibula injury. Dalton Schultz was a solid tight end in his debut season in Houston, while veterans Devin Singletary and Noah Brown played better than previous campaigns elsewhere. John Metchie and Robert Woods, two players I expected to be regulars in the passing-game rotation, were barely needed afterthoughts in the league's most surprisingly fun offense.

Now, there's no sleeping on the Texans. Collins, Dell and Schultz are all back, and this team has made major upgrades elsewhere. Buoyed by C.J. Stroud's strong performance on a rookie deal, Houston traded a late-round pick for running back Joe Mixon and dealt a second-round pick to shockingly acquire Stefon Diggs from the Bills. With virtually everybody of note besides Singletary from the 2023 team returning to the lineup, this is a deep pool of talent at wideout. On Nos. 1 through 6 at receiver, nobody is deeper than the Texans.

It's the new guys who have me worried a bit, however. Diggs' performance dramatically declined last season. He dropped from 2.7 yards per route run in the first half of the season to 1.5 during the second half. It's possible the Bills offense shifted with Joe Brady taking over as offensive coordinator, but after ranking in the top 10 in ESPN's receiver metrics in each of the five previous seasons, he fell to 67th last season. The route-based metric there, Open Score, was more optimistic about Diggs' performance than the catch-based metrics, suggesting he was better than the final numbers suggested. I'm counting on somewhat of a rebound, but I'm also not expecting a 30-year-old Diggs to be what he was at his best in Buffalo, especially given how many targets he'll need to share with the other players in the offense.

Mixon's name might also be bigger than his production at this point. He was a league-average back last season, generating six rush yards over expectation across 257 carries in Cincinnati. He's topped 10 rush yards over expectation once in the past five seasons. He adds value as a receiver, but he's not regarded as an effective pass-blocker, so the Texans probably need to spot him on passing downs with Dameon Pierce or Dare Ogunbowale. Make no mistake: This is a great set of playmakers. I just think the new additions won't move the needle as much as projected.

5. Vikings
    4. Texans
    3. Dolphins
    2. Eagles
    1. 49ers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...-coaches-scouts-make-their-picks-best-rushers

Honorable mentions:

Joe Mixon, Houston Texans: The Bengal-turned-Texan produced his fourth career 1,000-yard season in 2023, including 31 explosive plays. "He'll be good for the Texans' offense -- he'll be a steady presence and can get tough yards on first and second down," an NFL personnel evaluator said.

7. Danielle Hunter, Houston Texans
    Highest ranking:
    5 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Hunter regained his status as one of the game's best pass rushers with 16.5 sacks in 2023.

He has always had the ability of a top-10 rusher. But his presence on this list has been sporadic becasue of neck issues in 2020-21 and a transition to a new scheme in 2022.

He settled in under Brian Flores last season in Minnesota and a career year earned him a two-year, $49-million deal with the Texans.

"The thing with Danielle is he'll continue to have 12 to 14 sacks for at least two to three more years if he stays healthy," a high-ranking NFL official said. "He's that high caliber of an athlete that he should age really well."

Honorable mentions:

Will Anderson Jr., Houston Texans: The reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year posted seven sacks, 10 tackles for loss and a 25.8% pass rush win rate. "Wins with power, instincts and motor, not raw athleticism. Really good first year for him," an AFC exec said.

10. Brian Burns
    9. Trey Hendrickson
    8. Josh Hines-Allen
    7. Danielle Hunter
    6. Aidan Hutchinson
    5. Maxx Crosby
    4. Nick Bosa
    3. Micah Parsons
    2. TJ Watt
    1. Myles Garrett

Red.Glare, jch1911 and red5rocket like this.
  14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I see what you did there!

Kemahkeith likes this.
  15. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

16. Rockets34Legend

I guess they need all the help they can get to cover Diggs/Nico/Tank/Schultz.

17. Rockets34Legend

1) Training Camp - https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/texans-training-camp-2024.323495/

2) Diggs might be getting all the smoke in the beginning, so it'll just leave our 2023-24 core to feed from CJ.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Buck Turgidson

Why was he on the sideline in the first place?

20. Commodore

Commodore Member

camp starts Wednesday