1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Senate GOP throws USA under bus and aligns with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No - our country has been humilated yet again by the right-wing congress.

First they shutdown the gov't. Then they shut down homeland security almost. Now they shut down negotiations they know nothing about and make the U.S. look like a fool on the world stage.

So sad.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think your opinion is a of what is "significant."

#82 rocketsjudoka, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So you're actually privy to what the Iranian internal view is too?

Consider that the sanctions are taking a huge toll on Iran and that Iran knows that if even if they had nukes that Israel has them and could nuke them while the US could nuke them a hundred times over. Sanctions are a huge issue to the survival of Iran and the threat of nukes is leverage to possible get those lifted.

This also goes to a basic point of diplomacy. You negotiate with your enemies not your friends.

But since you seem to know so much about what the Iranians are actually thinking what is your answer? War?

#83 rocketsjudoka, Mar 10, 2015
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This manufactured media circus was a lot of fun for 8 seconds, but if you really want to amuse yourself just visualize a letter written by people like John McCain and Sarah Palin going to Rouhani and Zarif. That's comedy gold. Netenyahu is laughing his ass off right about now.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yes. They tell us. They want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The constitution empowers the executive to negotiate foreign policy. While the Senate has advice and consent that doesn't mean that they are empowered to negotiate.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True they probably would like to and many American politicians frequently say they would like to see an end to the Iranian regime too. The truth is that Iran can't wipe Israel off the map. Even with nukes the most they could hope for is mutual destruction. At the same time the US can't end the Iranian regime short of war.

You seem caught up in rhetoric without understanding what the capabilities are or even the principle that you negotiate with your enemies when victory is unclear or very costly.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

So...instead of using negotiation to try to soften a hard-line stance, you'd rather just take an equally hard-line stance? Are you begging for another war?

This GOTP seems to want war. There is no other explanation.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right and when the congress undermines their leader and the POTUS that helps the country how?

There is a reason why the POTUS is the one who negotiates treaties and as far as I know, congress rarely is involved until much later.

This congress doesn't want to be a positive force in helping keep nukes out of Iran, they want to embarrass Obama but what they are really doing is embarrassing themselves.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also I find it interesting when you say you can't believe what the Iranians say yet take their rhetoric at face value.

11. tallanvor

that is not an equivalent. The fact that you think it is means you either don't understand Iran or are morally bankrupt. I'll give you a hint, Iran does not just want to remove the Israeli government.

That is a false choice.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't know if they do, lack the possibility to see other options, or are so caught up in hatred of Obama that they don't care what the implications are.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No it means that you have completely bought into Iranian rhetoric without considering what their capabilities or situation is.

Anyway you still haven't presented any alternative to the situation.

14. tallanvor

IRan is just the JV team right...............?

please point me to my post you are referring to.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Compared to the US and Israel yes. Or do you think Iran really is militarily capable of wiping Israel off the map?

Consider this too. NK frequently says it wants to destroy SK, Japan and the US. NK actually has nukes but in 60 years they haven't actually tried to do so. What makes you think that Iran is somehow more likely than NK to carry out its hardline rhetoric.?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9611329&postcount=85

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Refusing even the idea of negotiation is pretty god damned hard-line...

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's a whole new thread but I really think the GOP is caught up in this for two reasons: gotta feed the military industrial beast and religious fanaticism. It's the whole end of times ****. They DO want war.

#97 mc mark, Mar 10, 2015
  18. tallanvor

Does it matter? why negotiate with such a group? Lets say its a 1% chance they can sneak a nuke into Israel; why even given them the opportunity?

it doesn't mean war as you say.

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

"in this episode of MIDDLE EAST, Israel's ability to nuke people causes no consternation because the Mossad prefers to create droughts and assassinate scientists. It shows the difference between rhetoric and action which is why Iran should be treated like a silly baby. There's only ONE regional power, and ONE nuclear power in the Middle East allowed at a time"

I cannot believe how bought and paid for Congress is when it comes to a regional conflict. astounding.

the fact that Congressmen don't know the laws they're supposed to enforce doesn't surprise me as much though.

#99 Northside Storm, Mar 10, 2015
  20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I see liberals on twitter mocking Cotton and the 46 senators who followed him into this mess, but I take no pleasure in seeing this. To have the foreign minister of Iran smugly correct 47 of our American senators on international and constitutional law is a global embarrassment. It doesn't just reflect poorly on the GOP, it makes the entire country look bad.

Where are the adults of the Republican party? A Richard Lugar, a Pete Domenici, a James Baker, an Alan Simpson, a Bob Dole, etc. ? Where did these new Republicans come from? It's like Youtube commenters threw their names in a hat and won a job in Washington.

I'm glad that Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski, Jeff Flake, Dan Coats , Susan Collins, Tad Cochran, Lamar Alexander, and Bob Corker had the intelligence and maturity not to sign that letter, but they need to be at the front of their party. It's like the kids locked the adults out of the house and started melting crayons in the oven and feeding the pot roast to the dog.

5 people like this.