1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Senate GOP throws USA under bus and aligns with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a fun way of spinning that the president is negotiating a treaty in bad faith with an enemy of the US. I suppose it would be better if no one tipped the Iranians off about the president wasting their time though.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Saudi's Wahhabism has done much more to destabilize the Middle East with extremism than Iran has. In fact, Iran is a natural enemy of Sunni extremism. Majority of the 9/11 attackers were from Saudi. ISIS's interpretation and corporal punishments mimic Saudi's.

Tell me, who is more of any enemy to the U.S?

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I found it interesting that Rand Paul the so called "libertarian" supported this move against negotiations with Iran and essentially support for war.

Rand "doing work." I guess.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is the one thing that confused me also

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Not really, Alqaida and such groups targeted Saudi Arabia, and other countries many of Alqaida's leaders found a safe shelter in Iran .

7. Buck Turgidson

Now? Absolutely not Iran. 30 years ago? Iran. 30 years from now? I would hope that they are the allies in the ME that they should be.

8. Faust

Faust Member

these politicians violated the logan act. they should be arrested.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad faith? Since when does congress negotiate treaties??

I don't understand why Republicans want Iran to have nukes. You guys are nuts.

#9 Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Have you read the letter? All it does is restate the constitutional requirements for treaties. How is that treasonous?

#10 Commodore, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

republicans only like dealing with iran when we can illegally sell them weapons and then use the profits from said weapons sales to fund terrorism in latin america.

[​IMG]

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"The letter" doesn't even accurately state how treaties are ratified. The letter states that “the Senate must ratify [a treaty] by a two-thirds vote.”

In reality, and quoting the Senate's own web site:

https://www.senate.gov/general/Features/Treaties_display.htm

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Here's the first draft of the letter...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama is humiliated for the 2nd time in as many weeks.

He's incredibly weak on foreign policy.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The world is laughing at you, not with you.

But it's a stress response, they are really scared shtless that the GOP only wants war. But playing 'unwitting bad' cop is probably helping Mr. Obama get a deal.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I agree that Obama will get a deal, but it will be a bad deal for America. Those 47 senators are just trying to ameliorate the damage Obama and his Muslim sympathies will cause.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lord, dude. There are legitimate disagreements on the issue you could've stated, but you played the "Muslim sympathies" card. How does his dramatic increase of drone strikes in Muslim countries like Yemen align with that statement? Or his rhetoric, which is not much of a departure from George W. Bush's? If he's really a secret Muslim, he sure is killing a lot of them in order to maintain his cover.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They can do that by passing legislation, not writing open letters designed to undermine diplomatic negotiations.

Republicans control both houses and there are a fair number of Democrats in the Senate have signaled that they would vote for a bill that would override the president. If you read up on why some Republicans refused to sign the letter, they cite the fact that they want to pass a bill that would override the president and writing a letter to Iran would actually undermine that goal by pissing off Democrats.

The Republicans who were actually serious about doing their job (and trying to build a coalition with Democrats to get 67 votes) didn't sign this stupid letter. Those who signed this stupid thing clearly don't know why they're in Congress. Their job is to pass legislation, not write letters to foreign governments. Foreign relations is the job of the executive branch.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said in the other thread the Senators have the right to write to Iran if they want to but such behavior is unprecedented and undermines the President's ability to negotiate on behalf of the US and instead creates a situation where the Senators are saying the Senate can negotiate on behalf of the US. That is not what the Constitution says.

Also as I mentioned before the imagine the outcry if a Democratic Senate had did this to a Republican President.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's so fitting that a partisan conservative hack thinks a letter from 47 senators with incorrect information as to how treaties are ratified is considered humiliating for our president. Well, I guess it is humiliating that he's the leader of a country full of idiots who elect these people.

1 person likes this.