1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Senate GOP throws USA under bus and aligns with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A very valid point.

Hilary Clinton criticized the Bush administration for using private emails, Obama criticized Bush for adding debt, even calling him Unpatriotic, etc.

When it comes to hypocrisy, neither side will ever run out.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Except of course that that has never happened.

Oops! fchowd0311 beat me to it

3. justtxyank

I fully concede that the Republican party has taken the political show to a whole new level.

Before you go and get all self righteous though about the Democrats, keep in mind that the Democrats have never been in the Republican situation in the media age we are in now.

I will be curious to see what the Democrats do the next time (if there is a next time) that a conservative president is battling with an ultra liberal Congress.

4. mc mark

I would be ashamed and disgusted at Democrats if they acted the way republicans are acting now.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Go ahead and explain it. I'm willful to listen and admit wrong.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I will sum it up for him.

Obama is incompetent. Obama should have worked with republicans but his incompetence ruined everything.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Maybe so but it really wasn't that long ago when this type of situation existed. Remember Democrats took the House and Senate in 2007 and there was a major foreign policy issue that popped up almost immediately.

If you remember, Iraq was going horribly and the Bush administration proposed "the surge" among other things to combat this. Democrats had just won on an anti-Iraq agenda and could have totally torpedoed the thing and even gone as far as doing something as stupid as sending a letter to the Iraqi government with some sort of vague threat.

There is a concept that started with the British parliament of the loyal opposition. The opposition to the ruling government in a parliamentary system is cast with the role of providing a check on the ruling government and specifically questioning the policies of the ruling coalition. But the loyal part still matters. You dont go around undermining foreign policy or breaching protocol to advance a political agenda. By all means question the president and his policy choices. But dont go around trying to sabotage him at every turn. This stuff is unprecedented and we need to stop making excuses for the Republicans. They're behaving like children and they should be called out for it.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here's an interesting article I found from a 2008 when Bush made an executive agreement with Iraq that defined our exit timetable, and how congress complained that he was excluding them: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/treaties_and_executive_agreements/. The article also has some interesting history about how common executive agreements have become and where from a legal point of view it appropriate to have this sort of agreement.

Where Obama's deal with Iran becomes controversial is only insofar as he is empowered to unilaterally lever sanctions passed by congress under his authority to (a) conduct foreign policy, and/or (b) faithfully execute the law. I'm in his corner in that I think he's taking the right course of action in our relationship with Iran. But, I have to do more reading to figure out whether I think he really should be so empowered. He really is pushing the envelope in interpreting his latitude in executing legislation.

Of course, two wrongs don't make a right. And, I don't think I have to do any more reading to figure out that the Senators here did something wrong. If these executive actions are really an abuse of power, impeach the president. Don't go messing in foreign affairs.

And yet the outcome is so predictable.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2015/03/sen_tom_cotton_s_letter_to_iran_is_plainly_stupid_the_arkansas_freshman.html

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The last opportunity Democrats had to do this was back in the dark ages of the 00s.

11. mc mark

What say you bobbytheexpert?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That it's an open letter suggests to me it's aimed at the American voting public and not Iran at all.

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

He ought to, they elected him.

15. justtxyank

If you don't think things have changed SERIOUSLY since the Bush Administration in terms of media, social media, etc. then you are crazy.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why do you think that matter to whether or not the Senate sent an open letter?

Open letter doesn't depend on those things... but maybe I'm missing your point..?

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's what bobby would like to think but the truth is that Potus has done more than most thought he would.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

*snort*

Obama has been a complete failure.

Your point might stand, however, since nobody thought he would actually do anything.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

No one within the GOP thought he would.

20. mc mark

Every time texxie posts this I just giggle