1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Senate GOP throws USA under bus and aligns with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And you know that because you are privy to the negotiations going on?

The more important question though is what is the alternative to negotiations with Iran? How does not negotiating with them cause them to not build a nuke? If anything it hastens them to do so. If we aren't negotiating the only leverage then is continuing the sanctions, which if Iran feels aren't going to be removed gives them no incentive to stop their nuke program, or war.

Iran isn't the same as Iraq. It is much larger and more varied terrain. Consider how bad things are still in Iraq and Afghanistan do we really want to engage in another war in the middle east with unpredictable consequences that led to more chaos that groups like ISIS will exploit.

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I just love the partisan hacks coming out as if this is no big deal at all. If the roles were reversed, this would be the biggest scandal in the history of the world to them.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I didn't say Obama is a secret Muslim ... I said he was sympathetic to them (perhaps out of respect to his father). As to whether he is killing "a lot of them," Muslims kill each other just for being of a different sect. In fairness, the Irish Catholics and Protestants used to do the same thing, but they learned to live with each other.

4. Baba Booey

No, you just implied it, like you've done a bunch of times before on this forum.

5. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Does this truly surprise anyone??? After President Obama put through his executive actions right after the elections in November, did anyone think the Republicans were going to play nice???

Politics, politics, politics..... You screw me, I screw you. Nothing new, Republicans b**** when Democrats do something, Democrats b**** when Republicans do something different. It's what makes Washington go round and round.

6. Baba Booey

Republican leadership met the NIGHT OF THE ELECTION in 2008 and formulated their plan of obstruction. They went so far as to overtly announce their plans to refuse to work with the president on anything.

I am pretty sure all that happened before Obama could do an executive action...

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is not OK.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me get it straight: you didn't say President Obama is a Muslim. But, he sympathizes with them. His increased use of drone strikes and American military presence in the Middle East is just a carryover from Muslims' tendency to "kill each other just for being of a different sect." Ergo, maybe the Muslims he's targeting through drone strikes are not enemies of America, but a different sect. Got it.

To quote your demigod, there you go again.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Could you imagine the uproar in 2003 if the Senate Democrats opposed to the Iraq War asked the President of France or another country who was opposed to that invasion to speak in front of Congress without first asking President Bush? Then turn around and send a letter to the leaders of one of the countries that did support the invasion saying there is an election in 2004 and someone who didn't favor the war might win and switch gears?

10. Baba Booey

It's disgusting what the GOP just did. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. The fact that the partisan hacks on this site refuse to even acknowledge these unprecedented actions to weaken the presidency is quite telling. I guess the GOP doesn't ever expect to hold the office of president again...

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

America looking pretty damn united these days...

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you pretend to negotiate something that you know has no chance of ever going into effect then you are negotiating in bad faith. The congress doesn't negotiate treaties but no treaty can go into effect without a 2/3 vote. A competent president would work with congress so that they'd know what deal would be acceptable....we don't have a competent president.

13. Baba Booey

Bobby, if the roles were reversed you'd be in the front of the mob carrying a pitch fork.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I really wouldn't. I would hope any other president wouldn't be so arrogant and would work with congress to know what kind of deal he could pursue and would be wise enough to not pursue a deal without the blessing of congress. Any halfway competent president, regardless of political affiliation, would know that's part of the deal.

15. Baba Booey

I believe you. No, really. I do.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

beautiful

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"I love America - even it's idiots."

-- Barack Obama

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You should because it really should go without saying. Divided government is often a good thing, it made for some of the best legislation of the Clinton years, legislation that he still prides himself on today.....of course he was a competent president who managed to work with a congress that literally tried to have him thrown out of office for the good of the nation, completely unlike the guy we have in there today.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Politics as usual isn't this. This is on a new level and thus why it is so shocking.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are lost.

This isn't a treaty that's being negotiated. Once a deal happen, it will happen as an executive agreement. Congress isn't involved in executive agreement. Executive agreements has been the norm for a long time. Granted, this is a much bigger issue, but it's within the power of the executive branch.

The power of the legislative branch is to stop this if they want through legislation.