1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel Advice] Going to China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jontro, Oct 12, 2014.

?

Yes

1. Yes, why did Jontro make this poll?

4.5%
  2. Yes, Jerry Lin is the best PG in the universe.

95.5%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

So I'll be spending about a week in China for work. I know nothing about China except for a few Kung Fu movies and Yao Ming. I'll be in Beijing and Chengdu... and I hear from friends that they're pleasant and pandas. I've been told that the locals don't speak English there so I'll be doing lots of gestures and such.

Any advice/tips on the do's and don'ts (cultural things)? I hear it's winter there, so I should be packing some thicker clothes.

I've already got some pills ready for my motion sickness.

Also, I don't know why I've added a poll.

2. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Go easy on the food in the beginning until your body adjusts. Beijing winters are harsh.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

In Shanghai for Vacation myself. dianping.com is like Yelp for China, don't know if you can navigate it without knowing Chinese.

http://www.smartbeijing.com - The shanghai counter part has being good at pointing me to few swanky locations.

Other than that just have fun. If you're there for work, get some local co-workers to show you around.

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

request a loaner cell phone and computer from your company -- you will be hacked, guaranteed.

7. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

I agree with curve, eat lightly first few days, maybe find some chips or something that reminds you of home a bit but man eventually be adventurous. I ate nothing but streetfood and never got sick. Your first hour the culture shock is going to be awesome.

Before you take a cab understand your route via a map. The cab drivers will go in loops to **** you. Ignore people asking you to come drink tea with them in a traditional setting they are just going to charge you an outrageous amount and try and intimidate you to pay. There is no tipping at restaurants so dont try it. Always stand to the right on escalators unless you are passing someone.

You are probably going to see people pissing and in the streets.

8. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Uber works in Beijing. Thank me later.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sleep with a hot asian chick.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

you ate streetfood in china? :eek:

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just dawned on me, poor Jontro won't have anything but censored/hentai p*rn to watch.

12. Nook

Nook Member

My suggestion? Fake a major illness and do not go.

Prepare for bed bugs in your hotel (which you will bring home).

There are virtually no standards when it comes to food, roaches are very prevalent in restaurants and be prepared to accept that what you are eating is not remotely sanitary and you may well get sick.

If you are in a major city expect horrible air conditions that can cause sickness, dizziness, short breath and actually stain your clothes.

Also accept that people will be rude to you, people will urinate and crap in the street.

One of the worst places I have been.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Best thing you can do is spend all your time in one of those half constructed uninhabited cities that they have. You'll be able to avoid this:

:confused:

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Watch this video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1kB_OGFY968?showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then watch all his videos

(the three about the Shanghai Sharks are the best)

15. VanityHalfBlack

Skip China, just go to Chinatown here in America.

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256930

Someone asked 3 months about tips for a China trip. I'll copy and paste what I told that OP.

And my post from a thread regarding China's smog problem:

1 person likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well shett brehs... now I'm not looking too forward to the trip.

Looks like I will be staying in my hotel as much as possible in my free time. I get sick easily.

Not a problem breh, I don't have any problem with censored stuff. Also I will be bringing my own collection in my laptop. :grin:

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jontro's "Fap Around the World" tour, China edition.

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Eh, don't listen to these guys. I bet most of them have never been to China. I on the other hand have and it's great. I don't remember pollution being a problem last time I went (years ago), but it might be bad recently. I never found a roach or bug in my food or drink, can't say the same about that here in Houston.

Best thing to do is hook up with someone who knows the area, so they can take you to the good spots in town. It's basically like any other city, you have to know where to go to find good food and good entertainment.

I'm itching to go back, but I've been busy with other commitments. Might go next year, but not sure yet since I want to purchase a nice vehicle soon.

20. Asian Sensation

I feel sick too when I over Fap, breh.