1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shanghai smog reaches extremely hazardous levels

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Dec 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How can you live in that smog without a full face gas mask?
    ______

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kids ordered indoors as Shanghai smog reaches extremely hazardous levels

Shanghai authorities ordered schoolchildren indoors and halted all construction Friday as China's financial hub suffered one of its worst bouts of air pollution, bringing visibility down to a few dozen meters, delaying flights and obscuring the city's spectacular skyline.

Shanghai's concentration of tiny, harmful PM 2.5 particles reached 602.5 micrograms per cubic meter Friday afternoon, an extremely hazardous level that was the highest since the city began recording such data last December. That compares with the World Health Organization's safety guideline of 25 micrograms.

link

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

makes Houston seem so clean :grin:

seriously though, its about perspective. houston is much cleaner than its major industrial city counterparts around the globe.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yuck. I couldn't imagine living in such a nasty place.

4. KingCheetah

Those images remind me of mustard gas attack photos from WWI.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How did it get like that in the first place?

6. KingCheetah

From the article:

The dirty air that has gripped Shanghai and its neighboring provinces for days is attributed to coal burning, car exhaust, factory pollution and weather patterns, and is a stark reminder that pollution is a serious challenge in China. Beijing, the capital, has seen extremely heavy smog several times over the past year. In the far northeastern city of Harbin, some monitoring sites reported PM 2.5 rates up to 1,000 micrograms per cubic meter in October, when the winter heating season kicked off.

As a coastal city, Shanghai usually has mild to modest air pollution, but recent weather patterns have left the city's air stagnant.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lots of cars & coal & a bad to nonexistent enviro regulatory enforcement regime.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's an industrial capitalist's wet dream.

1 person likes this.
  9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Shanghai is just too attractive of a place to live at for it's own good. The economy and job opportunity there is much better than a lot of the other places in the region. It's got a really good and expanding subway/public transport system. The dinning, shopping, arts, social events and etc. are also awesome.

Because of this, there's just too many people who are not native Shanghainese moving there. Of the 23 million people in Shanghai, 9 million are migrant workers. There's also about 800K Taiwanese living there.

There used to be regulations and etc. making sure that the migration to a city like Shanghai wasn't too great but I've seen that being more looser over the years. I think it's the right move ethically, but the city itself is just not growing fast enough size-wise.

http://travel.cnn.com/shanghai/life/shanghai-just-officially-got-bit-more-crowded-096925

http://www.taiwaninsights.com/2013/03/27/third-wave-of-taiwanese-business-people-heading-to-china/

10. dragician

dragician Member

that's one way to control world population.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Beijing ain't much better. I was there in the summer and even though there were plenty of okay days, some days looked just like that. Environmental issues are going to slow down their economy. They can't continue the way they're going.
    On a side note, a lot of this is because we outsourced all of our manufacturing to them. If it wasn't for that, I can easily see our cities having much higher pollution levels.

12. SamFisher

The US has a regulatory regime in place to keep this from happening - China does not (though laws may be on the books...)

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Their source of power for factories and heat is coal. Ours is natural gas and heating oil. That fundamental truth renders all other factors moot.

I'm leaving tomorrow night for Beijing and will be in shanghai next week. Already picked out my mask.

[​IMG]

N100 protection suckas

14. SamFisher

You would think, but no, this is not the full explanation:

China's probably surpassed by now, but the fact that they have pretty much no effective emissions regulation kind of makes a huge-ass difference.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Coal accounts for twice the percentage of electricity generation in China as it does in the United States.

Beyond that, millions of people heat their homes with coal in stoves that have nothing to account for the environmental impact. That doesn't really exist in urban america.

This goes way beyond the staggering difference in electricity generation.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

and those stoves don't have any sort of filter or carbon scrubber. can't control millions of tiny sources.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Damn, even with all the bikes they ride?

18. KingCheetah

I wonder how it feels to be out in that all day? I remember a few days in Houston and Austin when the pollution was bad and it made my eyes burn and had me coughing. That air in Shanghai has to burn like hell.

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I wasn't breathing it all day, but when I was in Beijing a few years ago, my eyes were watery and each breath felt like being in a dusty old attic except 10-20x worse (I had a mask which I dropped after a stupid dog startled me in a back alley).

1 person likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

Thanks the 'dusty attic' gives me a good idea what it's like there -- add in all the carcinogens and you've got a thick toxic brew.