1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Training Camp] Who Will Make The Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Who will make the cut?

1. Pops

166 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. Conroy

35 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Temple

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Beck

22 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

If we can only keep one guy, it is Pops. I totally agree w/your take on Conroy. I want him on the team as well. I really hope that Cook is traded or bought out so we can have both. But I'd take Pops over Conroy.

Great thread, BTW, smoothie.

2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Please get rid of COOK!!

I'm hoping for Beck and Pops.

3. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Joey has only been on the Rockets for 1 year...

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thank you!

and we are in agreement, probably with most of the board, that cook is a waste of space... but it's a business and his ending contract might be worth something far greater that pops or conroy.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true.

however i think when it's time to make an investment, which is what signing a player really is, you have to decide who will be more useful to this team.

pops may be the best player of the 4. he may have the most nba experience. he may even provide something that no one else on the team can give (shot blocking). that would be an inside track if ever i saw one. the deciding factor might be, can he earn minutes ahead of scola, landry, andersen, hayes? if he can't, then he's useless on the bench; where as conroy could provide much needed insurance at the 1.

but of course, we will have to wait and see...

6. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

One Spot, Four Men. Who do you pick?

The Houston Rockets will have four players competing for their final open roster spot when they complete the signing of swingman Romel Beck, which is scheduled to happen Wednesday.
    Sources close to the situation say Beck has been lined up to fill the vacancy in Houston's training camp created when the Rockets elected not to go through with their intended signing of Rashad McCants.
    The Rockets are one of the dwindling number of teams prepared to field a full 15-man roster this season and are expected to choose between leading contender Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Beck and summer-league guards Will Conroy and Garrett Temple for that last spot.

Well Beck and McCants cannot play a team game, Pops doesn't score, and that leaves Garrett Temple. Young Guy, 23.
    There is very little not to like about Temple in terms of natural physical gifts. He has outstanding size for a guard coupled with an enormous wingspan. He also has fairly smooth (although not freakish) athleticism, although his frame and overall bulk leave a lot to be desired.
    Temple is also incredibly left hand dominant, driving left 90 percent of the time. This is completely evident when performing advanced scouting, and makes him quite predictable to guard. His shooting mechanics are very inconsistent on top of that, releasing the ball from above his head and rarely getting a consistent release point in the process. In the rare occasion that he does get to the rim, he often lacks the strength to finish around the rim due to his poor frame.

My choice is Garret Temple , what is yours?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile...tt-Temple-1388/
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4518524

"limits like fear are often an illusion" - M.J #23

7. eliefan

eliefan Member

I'd go with Pops.

I'm not sold on Temple. In the summer league, he played 12.6 minutes/game over 5 games, scoring 4.6 pts/game on 38.1% shooting.

Conroy played 19 minutes/game, scoring 7.2 PPG on 55.2% shooting. He also had 3.0 assists/game.

8. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I'd say it's Pops or Conroy. It's always good to bet on a third PG.

9. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

is 12 mins for 5 points goood?
    is he a low post player?

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Who cares, no one is gonna be the next Von Wafer.

Keep your eyes on Chase Budinger.

Dude will shoot the lights out night after night.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If Brooks is going to take more SG minutes than prev expected, that makes the need for more ballhandling that much more evident. Conroy is the early leader out of the gate.

12. NBAok

NBAok Member

Romel Beck. the more players we have that can create there own shot.the better are offense will be.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

14. Landry92

Landry92 Member

We Should of brought in Brad Newley .. Now seems the perfect timing to bringing him here .. but right now i would choose pops (although he is a spurs fan .. Yuck !!) he brings athletic aggressiveness to the team .. he can finish hard and rebound .. plus u cant have enough big men in the nba ..

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I don't see the Rockets going into the season with only two ball handlers in Brooks and Lowry considering the lack of offense (and McGrady's return in question). Conroy has real good shot at making the team, better than Pops. I know the Rockets lack size in the frontcourt... but how many dominant big men will be see on a nightly basis? And what happens if either Brooks or Lowry goes down with an injury?

I also don't see any value in Cook's contract now that Barry isn't returning. The Rockets would be best served letting his $3.5 million expire, trading Battier for an expiring contract and a late first rounder, and making the best of the '10 Free Agency with Morey's recruiting skills. Guys like Scola, McGrady and Lowry can be re-signed to new contracts (or have their offers matched) after we make a big splash. =]

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think assuming JT will make the team over Conroy, Temple, and Beck may be a little premature.

Temple and Beck both have better size than JT and Conroy seems to be a serviceable back point.

Do we need backup 2 more than a third point? Conroy sure looked better in summer league than JT.

I voted Pops in the poll.

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Hmmm tough decision here i think Pops will make it.

Cook and Barry for who? We can land another point if needed.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Mike James anybody he likes contract seasons.