1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for the Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jev5555, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm not knowledgeable to comment on Gruden or Cowher from an x's and o's standpoint.

But the appeal of Gruden or Cowher is that right now we have a losing mentality and culture that makes us play way below our potential.

Gruden or Cowher bring swagger and more importantly credibility with players that comes from a reputation for winning.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This a bit of an overstatement.

Kubiak has done a good job on the offensive side of the ball. Fans might be upset that the offense has not offsetted the terrible defense, but they are not being rational. The Texans offense this year has done well against their opponents with strong defenses (with Dallas being the exception).

As good as Kubiak has been on the offense, he has been equally incompetent of the defense. In five years, he has not built a above average defense and only a fool would believe that he can figure this out in the near future (or ever).

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are the Saints "head coach by committee"? Packers? Chiefs? Bringing in a Marv Lewis-type - regardless of what you do with Kubiak - is, IMO, a top priority this offseason. That defense *has* to be fixed.

I believe: 1) we watch and scrutinize the Texans so closely, with such passion, that we're all, to a degree, oblivious to how often *other* coaches, good coaches, blow this kind of stuff all the time. Ask an Eagle fan about Andy Reid - he drives them CRAZY. But every single one of us would trade Kubiak for Reid so quickly, they'd have to invent a new time measuring device to properly clock it; 2) I think these mistakes are being magnified because of how terrible our defense is. When you virtually have to score a touchdown every time you touch the football, playing conservatively or even botching a 2:00 drill at the end of the first half can seem a whole lot worse than it really is.

IOW: I don't think Kubiak is *that* bad. I could cite a pretty decent list of psoitive accomplishments. Having said that - I'm all for a regime change; I think the idea of holding him accountable and letting your fans and players know that 9-7 or 8-8 is no longer acceptable is absolutely, positively the right way to go. I will not shed a tear if they fire Kubiak. I will shed other bodily fluids if they replace him with Cowher. I just don't want them to hire a Kubiak, Jr. I don't want another year of growing pains, of inexperience, etc. I'd rather stick with what we know and fix what's clearly broken than venture out and take a risk on a guy that might not be any better - I just don't think that's the right way to go.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is my point. Having someone else handle the defense won't stop Kubiak from being the one botching timeouts, challenges, halftime clock management, etc. He is still a hindrance as a head coach.

I agree no coach is perfect, but some of this stuff doesn't compare. Isn't Kubiak the worst in the NFL in challenge percentage? And how many games in Kubiak's tenure have we complained about the end of the first half being stupid play calling? Horrible time management. Etc, etc. All of the "head coach" responsibilities are things considered weaknesses of Kubiak. I can't think of a single "head coach" thing that Kubiak has ever been praised for.

Start citing ones that DON'T involve offensive coordinator duties.

6. rocketshopeful

Man, not a big mcclain fan, but I think he has a point there. Will McNair really let Kubiak and his assistants go considering the money paid and the CBA next year. I hope so.

7. Hey Now!

No; but we shouldn't act like it's not a possibility. Let me ask you a question: Is 8-8 OK next year if it's a new coach?

That's why I'm a little surprised people are flat-out rejecting the idea of firing the GM and defensive staff. Bringing in the next Scott Pioli and Marv Lewis wouldn't represent a step in the right direction? That's not a big, bold move?

Funny - the minute they pulled the trigger on that deal was the minute I stopped caring about the Rockets. To me, Pippen is Gruden, Fisher, Fox, et al: An upgrade with question marks that could blow up in your face.

8. justtxyank

No he won't. It won't be because of all the crap Johnny Mac threw out there about the lockout and stuff, it will simply be that he doesn't want to pay a Cowher and all the current coaches and GM and staff at the same time.

Budget Bob.

9. justtxyank

8-8 next year under a new coach is more palatable to me than 8-8 next year under Gary Kubiak. I'd rather go 8-8 with Cowher next year under the premise that he needs another season to complete his transition than 9-7 next year with Kubiak.

10. Hey Now!

You're selectively picking and choosing here, justtxyank. He was brought here, specifically, for his offensive accumen. And he has improved this offense ten-hundred fold. You can't pretend that's not relevant because you can conveniently shove it into some other category. Tell me why Sean Payton's such a great coach - without mentioning the team's offense. I mean, it's just a silly proposition.

The offensive side of the ball, while not perfect, is far from broken. It has a bevy of great players, a scheme that, by and large, works, and has shown improvement year-to-year. Last year, they were failures in the red zone and couldn't rush the football; they've fixed that this year. And this is his... 4th offensive coordinator, right? Was Sherman the OC or Calhoun? I believe it's his 4th. And the offense keeps getting better and/or doesn't regress - the one constatnt? Kubiak.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

B/W: If that means ABK...I don't really agree.
    Kubiak as HC: I fully agree.
    Next Guy: We can't just take the 50/50 odds at this point. I can't handle another 4 years of BS.
    Delay the inevitable - I'm with you, and have been saying for 12 months that Kubiak needs to go. Please understand that I don't want him to see the end of his contract. I facepalmed when McNair gave him the extension.

Please cut that crap line. I've been calling for Kubiak to go since before last year ended. Any scenario I've described that includes another season of Kubiak is tied 100% to the idea that McNair won't be willing to eat his contract or is too concerned with the lockout. Zippo to do with my wants.

And that runs a high risk of another 4 years of the Kubiak era on repeat. You guys may be great with that, I'm not.

I want either Team Cowher or a President/GM that will hire a top tier D- and O-coordinator. If McNair won't eat Kubiak's money, I'll live with him being the O-coordinator for a year.

Everyone wants change. I'm saying that if Cowher doesn't come and if McNair won't fire Kubiak for whatever reason, I'll live with one year of Kubiak as OC with a Pres/GM running the show before replacing him.

The thought of ending up with Kubiak 2.0 or Capers 2.0 locked up for 4 years will have me roof jumping.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

much better than 8-8 if it's not a new coach.

will that fix his clock management issues, his r****dedness when it comes to challenges, general playcalling issues like forgetting you have the leading rusher in the nfl and calling half back passes at the opponent's 5?

newsflash, any upgrade can blow up in your face. cowher could come in and do his best bill parcells as cowboys head coach impression.

13. Hey Now!

ETA: Think back to the Capers era, justtxyank - when he was fired, the defense had regressed terribly. Remember the Vic Fangio era? We had a defensive-minded coach overseeing a bad defense. Meanwhile, he had a bunch of monkeys setting up ladders and running his offense. It was just a mess.

I'm fine with Kubiak being fired; but I think in their glee to see that happen, fans are going a little overboard on just what he did and did not accomplish here. Do you think this franchise attracts a guy like Cowher in 2005? That offense is going to open doors to guys that *never* would have considered coming here previously.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

guess what. if you have to replace him after next year, you're still running a risk of kubiak 2.0, capers 2.0 or bill parcells cowboys 2.0. are you going to be jumping off the roof then?

15. emjohn

I look at next season as being a transition one no matter what. I'm concerned about what happens after. Are you okay with rolling the dice with Mike Nolan struggling to get to 9 wins for 4 straight years? Or can you live with an additional year of Kubiak as OC if that means we assemble a first rate staff and finally get over the hump and make the playoffs in 2012?

It is anonymous on the boards that if we can lock up Cowher, we'll all be celebrating in the streets. If there's debate to be had, it is about what we do if Cowher doesn't come or if McNair refuses to eat Kubiak's extension.

16. justtxyank

I'm referring to Ric who seems to always carry water for the status quo of the Texans.

And then what happens? You fire him and do it anyway? I guess I don't get your proposition here. If you think Kubiak would only last another year anyway, what are you accomplishing by pushing it back until after next year to let him go?

Why not just chop him this year and go get that Pres/Gm and let them get their guy now? I just don't see the need to wait another year.

Agreed, but either way in your mind you think we need a new head coach right? Either this year or next. Why not just do it this year. Go get your Pres/GM if Cowher won't come and let them replace Koobs now.

17. Hey Now!

If they fire Kubiak, and the new guy goes 8-8, I'll anxiously await your, "Thank God it wasn't Kubiak!" post, because - yeah, after another 8-8 season with no playoffs, I'm sure that's *exactly* what all the fans will be saying as they high-five their way out of Reliant Stadium and start their annual Super Bowl-like preparation for the draft.

I've seen you mention this previously - you do realize the Cowboys had posted a 5-11 record in the three years prior to Parcells being hired, right? On the backs on unproven assistants named Gailey and Campo? And that they went 10-6 in Parcells' first year, and made the playoffs in 2 of his 4 years? I'd take that, wouldn't you?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

There's been plenty of successful coaches who have faceplanted in their second or third jobs before.

Nothing is guaranteed is what he is trying to say.

19. justtxyank

Look, this team's defense is bad Ric, but that is not the sole reason the team is bad. The defense wasn't bad all year last year but they were still a mediocre team. The team is hampered by Kubiak in his head coaching role. His ability to get the team to play a full game vs. one half of football, and all the other things mentioned. Those are not issues that plague the Saints and therefore Payton can get credit for that. The Texans have issues that stem from the head coach, not JUST a bad defense. That is the key difference.

I acknowledge that Gary Kubiak has done awesome things on offense. I've wanted him to become a good head coach because of those things and because I like the guy. I believed we could win with him. But in 5 years there has been no progress on the issues he's had since day one as a HEAD COACH.

20. emjohn

If I've been a season ticketholder for a full decade and never seen them sniff the playoffs, it's going to be bad.

If they hire another over-his-head first time HC, I'll hate life.

If they hire Cowher and it doesn't work out, I'll be able to accept that they did their best.

If they hire a Pres/GM that brings in two top coordinators and it doesn't work out, I'll be able to accept they did their best.