1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on JR Smith with the TPE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I love JR Smith, but he is not really needed here.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

JR Smith can light it up, i'd want him here. Talent wins championships, and he improves us talent wise.

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

If it's about character and history, both fail the litmus test. If it's about $, fair enough point. Von at the minimum is a much better value. That said, let's say we moved Chase in a trade for Melo and Denver (hypothetically) cut JR Smith. Would you be willing to sign him for the vet min??

Having no Chase opens up the role...and he'd only be making Radio money...

4. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

The TPE generated from the Ariza trade is $6.322 million. JR Smith's salary is $6.757 million. So in short we CANNOT use the TPE to acquire him.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

LOL!!!!

I knew someone would start this thread...

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I agree! Plus when it comes to playoff he just simply not there!

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it is funny how some people refuse to have guys with "low character" on this team. I cannot think of a championship team without a so called "bad guy"

Character does not win championships, talent does

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bad character can COST you a championship too, and this guy REEKS of bad character...

How many of those so called CHAMPIONSHIP teams has he been on? ROFLMAO !!!!

He is not that talented, nothing he does is all that unique and uncoverd by players already on our team.

Give me a 22 year old Chase Budinger at 790k versus a $6 million low character thug like JR Smith...

Pass, and pass again, and keep on passing.......

DD

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If he was free, I would.

Wouldnt give up anything though.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

No thanks to JR Smith. He's a hell of a talent, but his defense and decision making are just awful. He's not going to change his game at this point. Dude reminds me of Ricky Davis.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Give me an example of a bad character guy that has COST a team a championship....

EVERY great team has guys with low character

And JR was the 3rd leading scorer on a team that was 2 games away from the finals 2 years ago, he is no slouch. As I stated earlier, he does not offer anything to the team that it does not already have, he is just a better version of Budinger.

12. Blunt

Blunt Member

JR smith to the rockets??

Nice player, but huge ego.
    Rockets don't want this in their lockerroom at least Ron Ron wasn't flamed up like JR. Ron always changed up with the hair

13. Blunt

Blunt Member

Iverson, nuff said.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When did Iverson cost a team a championship???

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we are up 113 to 99 on the Lakers late in the 4th I really don't care!

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

when did this happen?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's what i was saying. Only if the trade included Melo.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

Btw, that video is GREAT!! Then again, I love Shaq's big man walk after posterizing someone. He still is getting down the court, isn't showing anyone up, and probably pit the dagger in the Lakers' hearts with that shot.

19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

You can't clearly measure low character or what exactly the impact is on a team. You could argue that JR Smith actually caused his team to crap out in the playoffs, no one really knows. You could certainly argue that Artest is a cancer in certain circumstances. Iverson was for the most part too.

Generally speaking, I think you need to have more strong leadership with character then bad character on the team for it to work. Although our team has the character, I don't think we have the dominate leadership to keep a guy like JR in line. We don't have a Jordan to control Rodman. Battier, Yao, and the like can put pressure on Smith all they like, and I don't think he would give a dang. But take a mild headcase like Von or maybe Birdman, and I think we could handle it ok.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'd say Bundinger is overrated, but Budinger is quite a bit better. Although with the acquisition of Lee we no longer need another guard, is it not true that many posters here complain that we need more players with a killer instinct? ;)