1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THIS JUST IN! TRADE COMING! (Moochie For Weatherspoon)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Stylez

Stylez Member

This is NOT a good move by itself. Mooch wan't great but I always thought the point of moving a bad contract was to make it go away, not pick up another horrible one. Especially if were gonna move someone at a position we are thin at for an over-the-hill player at a position we have 2 decent players at. Just buy out Mooch's contract if your soooo discouraged with him.

2. count_dough-ku

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Weatherspoon's deal ends a year earlier than Moochie's, that would mean it'll come off the books the same offseason when Yao's rookie deal is up. Could this move be nothing more than an attempt by the Rockets to clear some much needed cap space in 2 1/2 seasons?

I know the mentality of fans(especially those on this message board, including myself) is that we wanna win now and that any personnel moves by the team should be made with this in mind. That being said, I don't mind seeing the Rockets planning ahead for once instead of settling for whatever mediocre option comes along(i.e. Mo, Moochie, Cato, Rice, Shandon, etc.)

3. Sane

Sane Member

If we follow this up by signing Mark Jackson, then this team would look great. Also, I wouldn't mind picking up Ward if they cut him.

I hate Spoon, but I'd rather have him than Mooch.

4. London'sBurning

It's not a big trade. Hopefully there will be another trade in the works and that this was just a packaged deal to make another trade. I don't see how acquiring Weatherspoon would help package another trade but crazier things have happened.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Summer of 2006 is looking to be a huge summer for the Rockets. Cato, Weatherspoon, Mobley, Yao, Pike, JJ, and Boki all come off the books in 2006.

6. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

BAD TRADE BAD :D :D :D

7. London'sBurning

Two more years of mediocrity. I could live with that. There have been worse rebuilding years than that, and if anything Yao may pan out into his full potential and help carry this team to a competitive run in between that time.

8. MFW2310

MFW2310 Member

I can't believe people are b*tching about this trade. I mean sure we are weak at the 1, but NEWSFLASH, we were weak at the 1 before we traded Moochie. Weatherspoon would never get PT with us, but Moochie simply SHOULD NOT have been able to EVER step on an NBA court. I don't think anybody can mistake Weatherspoon for talent but at least at one point he was an average player, which is more than Moochie an ever say. Basically this was a non factor for non factor trade that allowed us to get rid of Moochie. Yes Spoon's contract is bigger per year, but his overall contract also happened to be smaller than both Moochie and Meech added together, not to mention 2 year shorter than Moochie's contract.

9. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Member

i smell rasheed is coming:) :cool:
    god help us

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Wow, I am in shock over this. Dream come true!:D

Too bad that we didn't hold onto Damon Jones. Anyone know if Tierre Brown is available to be signed??

He has got to be more ready than Wilks is; hopefully, this move springboards for a more major move.

11. Yetti

Yetti Member

We should praise the Lord. We have rid ourselves [The Rockets]of the worst player on our Team. I feel that this is but a beginning or it might just be a warning to everyone else that even a crowd favourite can be traded .

12. thumbs

thumbs Member

New York was trying to buy out of Spoon's contract. I wonder if the Rockets now plan to do the same, thus clearing the books for a big splash this coming summer.

13. Matador

Matador Member

Wow. Didn't expect this.

I wish we coulda gotten a better player than Spoon. Kurt Thomas would have been great. Othella Harrington would have been good. Hopefully Spoon has something left in the tank as he still had some game a few years ago.

I'm sad to see Mooch go even though he has sucked of late (the past 2 years).

I think this will send a message to the Rockets that JVG will not put up with losing.

I wonder what Steve thinks of the trade. I can't imagine he likes it.

14. The Real Shady

Rockets trade Norris, Amaechi for Weatherspoon
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

The Rockets added some much need inside help tonight, sending guard Moochie Norris and center John Amaechi to the Knicks in exchange for Knicks forward Clarence Weatherspoon.

In his fifth season with the team, Norris had gone from one of the Rockets most popular figures to barely holding on to his place in the rotation as Steve Francis' backup at point guard. His playing time had been cut to an average of 13.3 minutes per game.

He is averaging 2.7 points, on 31 percent shooting and 1.6 assists.

With the move, rarely used former Rice guard Mike Wilks could move into the Rockets playing rotation.

Amaechi, on the injured list after suffering from an intestinal virus, has not played for the Rockets since acquired from the Jazz in a salary cap move.

Weatherspoon had fallen out of the Knicks rotation with Antonio McDyess back from multiple knee surgeries and the addition of rookie Michael Sweetney.

Weatherspoon, 33, is averaging 3.6 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15 games this season. In his 12 seasons with Philadelphia, Golden State, Miami, Cleveland and New York, the 6-foot7, 270 pound Weatherspoon has averaged 12.1 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.

Weatherspoon's five-year, $27.23 million contract runs through the 2005-06 season.

Weatherspoon played for Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy during the 2001-2002 season.

15. leebigez

leebigez Member

Why not just ask for Charlie Ward?He could have been the backup 1 on top of coming off the books this season. What really goes on.

16. Codman

Codman Member

I don't know what i think about this trade...

Moochie had some good years with us as a backup pg, but i guess it was just time for both parties to move on. His contributions as a player have been lacking big time as of late. I'm sad to see him go though, as it was obvious that he loved playing for the rockets. Steve and Cuttino will be pissed for awhile.

For some reason, I just think that the Rockets could have gotten something better in return. Everyone keeps saying that we traded nothing for nothing, but couldn't the nothing we traded for be a little better than Spoon? I don't know...just a thought. Hopefully this trade helps out the team, but I don't know if Wilks is quite ready to be our backup point guard just yet.

Cod

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

it was for Meech and Mooch, anything than better then Cheech and Chong in return is a winner

18. codell

codell Member

Like what?? :eek:

Mooch and Meech both had the lowest trade value two players could have. We were lucky to get what we got.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

So here it is, we trade Rice, Norris, and Amaechi, and get Weatherspoon + trade exception.

20. The Real Shady

I hope Wilks can do better than 2.7 pts, 31% FG, 1.6 asts, and 1 TO per game.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. Moochie is gone, and today is a good day. The Rockets will play basketball in 2004 Moochie free. I think this had to be one of JVG's new year resolutions.