1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THIS JUST IN! TRADE COMING! (Moochie For Weatherspoon)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Dec 30, 2003.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

worthless PF > worthless PG

Easier to package in ANOTHER trade later on.

2. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

weatherspoon cant hit layups he sucks I know I am a new yorker

3. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Ok, are you soaking wet from the big splash yet?

New York acquires Norris, Amaechi from Houston for Weatherspoon

CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer Tuesday, December 30, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(12-30) 16:45 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

Reserve forward Clarence Weatherspoon was traded Tuesday from the New York Knicks to the Houston Rockets for point guard Moochie Norris and center John Amaechi.

It was the first trade engineered by Isiah Thomas, coming just eight days after he took over for fired Knicks team president Scott Layden.

The Knicks had been in buyout talks with Weatherspoon, who is signed for two more seasons for $12.2 million. Instead, Thomas found a trading partner in the Rockets who have been in need of frontcourt depth ever since they suspended and then released forward Eddie Griffin.

Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy criticized his team Monday night after a loss to Seattle, pointing out the lack of rebounding as one of the team's main flaws.

"I'm just thinking about how we can get better. Obviously, we're not good enough," Van Gundy said.

Weatherspoon, an 11-year veteran, averaged at least five rebounds in every season before this one. He appeared in 15 games for the Knicks before being placed on the injured list shortly after Thomas was hired. He averaged 3.8 points and 3.3 rebounds.

In Norris, the Knicks are adding another point guard to a roster that already includes three -- newly installed starter Frank Williams and veterans Howard Eisley and Charlie Ward. Norris was the backup to Steve Francis in Houston, where he averaged 2.7 points and 1.6 assists this season.

Norris' career averages are 6.2 points and 3.5 assists for Houston, Seattle and Vancouver.

Amaechi, acquired by the Rockets during the preseason for Glen Rice, has been on Houston's injured list all season.

The Knicks made two other roster moves, placing forward Michael Sweetney (knee tendinitis) and backup center Michael Doleac (back spasms) on the injured list.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How in God's green earth could he be worse then Moochie?

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

dribbling + man-boob = A Spoon

spoon will help with Yao allergy to rebounding, gotta wonder if Ward is going to get cut for us to sign

6. jshabang

jshabang Member

Come on CD........... Start makin some since with your trades.....

Recent trades around the NBA.......Both Antwanns in Dallas for Basically nothing.......

Ricky Davis for Battie, Williams.........

Rockets.....Amaechi for Glen Rice....And Mooch for Spoon

Dude I'm not tryin to be overly critical here but........you better have something else up your sleeve or you could be in danger of gettin lynched..........

Come on CD...work with us....not against us

:p ;) :confused:

7. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Pike is NOT involved in the trade and Weatherspoon is going to be riding the PINE or on the IR.

Just when I thought JVG couldn't make me hate him more...he proves me wrong again! UGGGHHHH!!! :mad:

8. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Wilks played pretty well for Atlanta last year, even getting a few starts. I remember Marc Stein ripping the Hawks for releasing him. He may not be Jamaal Tinsley but he sure won't need 10 dribbles before he decides to pass.

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

The trade I don't understand is they acquired Weatherspoon with 12 million left on his contract. But Weatherspoon is no better than Braggs, both are undersized 4, but Braggs is much much cheaper.

So the move is purely to get rid of Moochie Norris, a second trade will coming soon. I wish it won't affect tomorrow's game against Phily.

10. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Rasheed anyone?
    I don't want to use RealGM, but someone tell me if these salaries dont match up.
    Houston trades:
    F Clarence Weatherspoon
    Trade Exception
    First round pick

Portland trades:
    Rasheed Wallace

Would Portland bite?

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What do you expect to get in a trade involving Moochie and Amechi? The Rockets got rid of two players who should not be on the court for 1 player that should not be on the court. I see a trade with neither a gain or loss. Rockets are losing nothing here.

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I think is not a bad move, we get rid of mooch's huge contract, and got a smaller contract that will be off the book by 2006, and most important is that we got 1 more roster space, watch out for some free agent signing on the way.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why would Port do that? Might as well let Rasheed walk then take on Weatherspoon's contract.

14. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

There must be another move forthcoming. Wilkes is not an NBA point-guard yet, if he was he would've seen more minutes. We could have got a little more for Moochie, I'm a little dissappointed.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

From Chron.com:

Rockets trade Norris, Amaechi for Weatherspoon
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets added some much need inside help tonight, sending guard Moochie Norris and center John Amaechi to the Knicks in exchange for Knicks forward Clarence Weatherspoon.

In his fifth season with the team, Norris had gone from one of the Rockets most popular figures to barely holding on to his place in the rotation as Steve Francis' backup at point guard. His playing time had been cut to an average of 13.3 minutes per game.

He is averaging 2.7 points, on 31 percent shooting and 1.6 assists.

With the move, rarely used former Rice guard Mike Wilks could move into the Rockets playing rotation.

Amaechi, on the injured list after suffering from an intestinal virus, has not played for the Rockets since acquired from the Jazz in a salary cap move.

Weatherspoon had fallen out of the Knicks rotation with Antonio McDyess back from multiple knee surgeries and the addition of rookie Michael Sweetney.

Weatherspoon, 33, is averaging 3.6 points and 3.3 rebounds in 15 games this season. In his 12 seasons with Philadelphia, Golden State, Miami, Cleveland and New York, the 6-foot7, 270 pound Weatherspoon has averaged 12.1 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.

Weatherspoon's five-year, $27.23 million contract runs through the 2005-06 season.

Weatherspoon played for Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy during the 2001-2002 season.

16. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

How does this trade make the team better? This just makes me believe that JVG have given up on the season. He's in rebuilding mode (to his liking). If he's clearing space, fine, but could he have picked a DIFFERENT TEAM to do it with? Couldn't he pick a player that we maybe able to use instead of putting him on the bench and/or IR?

17. Mick

Mick Contributing Member

Isiah Thomas just said on the Knicks game that they will probably waive manboobs.

18. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I'd wager that Mo Taylor will start at PF, and Cato will go back to being Yao's backup.

19. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Mooch has $10 million left over three years

Weatherspoon has $11 million left over two years

And there aren't that many marquee free agents out there. The best one just got snatched up by the Nets.

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Cost us backup PG if no second trade.

Isiah Thomas just talked about the trade on MSG, he said John Amaechi probably will get waived and he talked some positive things about Moochie, his experience, his speed, etc. Moochie will play 1 or 2 in Knicks.