1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Summertime "Random Trade Idea" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 5, 2008.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Well, you do have a pretty funny username, anyway.

2. scola4president

And just who would be our starting power forward should this crazy trade go down.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Dont like it... giving up 2 starters (Battier/Scola) for 1 marginally better player... i'll pass

4. ibm

ibm Member

not in a million years.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep wanting to give up glue guys like Battier and Scola for some cancerous players?

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Forgot which journalist it was, but whoever compared Melo's career to Glenn Robinson's is looking pretty smart right now.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I think there's some real questions about Melo's maturity and his commitment. The Rockets are not the team to straighten him out. I've always said that you want to surround T-Mac and Yao with solid vets, guys who motivate themselves with needing leadership. That is not Melo.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Melo as a Rocket...well it would make more sense when I wear his shoes with rockets shirts, do the deal just for that

9. Impper

Impper Contributing Member

While this trade is a fantasy scenario, you guys calling him "marginally better" than Battier/Scola are completely insane. Carmelo is a beast on offense (he shot 50% and creates most of it himself) and, while he's defensively deficient, Battier and Scola aren't exactly All-NBA defense in every situation. Battier was close to useless in the Jazz series on both ends of the floor.

10. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

I thought ESPN said that the Nets were looking to to some deal with R. Jefferson and Melo.

11. SkipToMyLou22

SkipToMyLou22 Member

Getting Melo on our team would be pretty mad, as long as he didn't hog it or be immature often as he does alot - we really do need a third scorer and this guy just rips up on offense.

But for Scola and Battier? Not so sure about that. Melo would replace Battier I suppose (we'd lose an important defensive piece there but oh well) but what about the PF position? Maybe take out Scola and add something else lol >_<

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

As much as I love Melo's contribution on basketball court that would be too much, plus Atkins doesn't fill up the PG position correct.

Don't know really, that would be too much man, I mean SF3 and Scola should be one of the most important players next year.

But heck Melo plus T-Mac and dominant Yao would be sweet, just like Celtics trio.

13. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Rockets target: Gilbert Arenas

I usually don't spam or make posts or threads about players that I like or I think my favourite team needs but every time I see Gilbert Arenas I imagine him in Houston Rockets, let me explain you how.

Gilbert Arenas would really fill 90% of our needs:

-Great PG, can pass the ball really well and organize the attack, somehow I feel that he'd fit good in Princeton's offense (high motion offense that Rick Adelman forces) with his great working habits

-Reliable scoring option, I mean guy certainly can score like Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, he's All Star proven player, Rockets need more scoring option down the strech when game's on line

-Great shooter, by that I mean he's constant and not to shabby, and can create shot of his own with very good range, as soon as he enters the arena he's in his range

-Great slasher, can attack the basket really good, pull out some fouls, if he ever comes his ppg would be lower than now but his presence would certainly be felt

-Gym rat, today you can't be really basketball player without working hard, you can have all the talent in the world like Stromile Swift and Gerald Green but if you don't have enough basketball IQ and working habbits you'll be another xxx player, Gilbert really proved since college that he's working hard

-Great personality, just read his blog, somehow when you read it you can see that his just another normal person with no big ego, he is a trash talker but almost every good player is, and with this personality thing I mean he would fit great in team

But there are always but, but...bad things are:

-He isn't constantly healthy, at least not this last season, problems with knees really bothers him but I think he can overcome it as his body is durable

-Can he really fit in Rockets budget? Gilbert certainly isn't too crazy about taking maximum money granted and all that, but will he really take veteran money, I mean these are his best basketball years

Don't spam with all those ball hogging posts since obviously not to many players around the league have such great players around with high ppg like Jamison and Butler, both All Star caliber players.

And another thing is that Gilbert wants to get out of DC just if Caron leaves or Antawn but another good thing is that he mention Houston as one of the destination he would like to play so as the L.A. , Phoenix and Dallas I think.

That was year ago...

What do you guys think about this?

[​IMG]

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

1. Expensive
    2. Injury

15. SunsRocketsfan

these threads are stupid.. that is just ur dream fantasy.. please dont put the thread title as it was news from the ROckets organization.. this thread is equally dumb as saying

ROCKETS TARGET KOBE!!
    ROCKETS TARGET D.HOWARD...
    ROCKETS TARGET LEBRON!

list goes on and on.. not likely its gonna happen.. of course you want Gilbert.. so would every other team

16. Tuan

Tuan Member

Agent 0 is a nice player and I would love to have him on the Rockets, but dont you think its unrealistic. We already have two who are making the maximum and there is no way Les will add another. There is a cap in the NBA for a reason.

Unless you are willing to trade Yao or Tmac for Arenas, this is just a pipe dream.

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Everytime I see threads that are proven news I see name of the page or newspaper ahead, this is just a thought, my personal opinion and I can certainly express myself - if you don't like it you can go spam somewhere else

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i hate arenas.

19. drakarst

drakarst Member

I'd love to have Arenas on our team; he's an excellent point guard and he can certainly shoot. I also read his blog regularly: it's very entertaining. Unfortunately, he might be a bit too expensive. =/

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not a fan of his "predictions"