1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Summertime "Random Trade Idea" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 5, 2008.

1. Pete the Cheat

wow...thats about as good as I have seen.
    Just to play devils advocate:
    Jersey might not be very willing to part with that #10 considering they intend to rebuild.
    Maybe Detroit would look to add a big from Jersey?

2. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I think you are probably right. In that case I would ask for their other 1st Round pick (21st) and not give up our 25 or 2nd.

If that didn't work I would try to give them our 2nd for their 21st.

If that didn't work 25 for 20 is better than nothing.

If that didn't work, forget the draft choices and do the deal anyway. Billups solves our PG problem and Jefferson makes Battier expendable and when packaged with expirings should get us a shot at a serviceable SG by either moving up in the draft or personnel trade (redd (ugh) maybe).

3. faraza84

faraza84 Member

i think if we were going to get a trade we should send landry because honestly if hes not willing to take lower pay we should give him the lle and trade him with bjax for someone around 8 millish and that could land us maggete if he stays with clippers because they need help at the 1 and the a back up for elton brand and we will get magette giving us just a need at the pf. for pg situation maybe we could give bjax and head for calderon or ford.

4. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

battier and other stuff for josh howard

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Something I wanted to add regarding Michael Redd that I just read. A little out of place, but I didnt want to start a new thread.

Some called him a "chucker" and a ballhog, but I wanted to point out his FIBA performance where he shot 45 % from three land, while coming off the bench. Pretty sure, when the roster is hand picked and not biased at all, coach K wouldnt pick players who are not "team guys".

I wish we would take a second look at him. I really think the big three route is the wave of the future. I would give up battier, landry, brooks...whoever it would take. A dead-eye shooter would punish teams for doubling Tracy and Yao.

Ah well, just my opinion =P

6. ths balla

ths balla Member

tmac for billups and prince, sign magettee.....billups,magettee,prince,scola,yao

7. mag

mag Contributing Member

We should keep TMac no matter what. We need to somehow package Battier with anybody else and get Artest or any other better than avarage player.
    Battier is just overated in this forum.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Earlier in this thread I proposed trading with Portland and asking for Peteri Koponen. Here's why I would like to see the Rockets acquire him:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121391835800858300

Blazers work out 'raw' center
    Koponen arrives early for summer league

By Kerry Eggers
    The Portland Tribune, Jun 19, 2008

JaVale McGee (left) of Nevada contests a shot by Creighton's Anthony Tolliver during an NCAA Tournament game last year. The 7-foot McGee is raw, but the Trail Blazers liked his energy during a workout in Portland on Thursday.

The Trail Blazers aren’t in the market for a center or a power forward, so it would seem as if Thursday’s workout session with Nevada center JaVale McGee and Alabama power forward Richard Hendrix was pretty much a waste of time........

NOTES: 2007 first-round draft pick Petteri Koponen has been practicing at the Blazers’ Tualatin facility this week after arriving from his native Finland on Sunday. The 6-4, 195-pound point guard was taken with the 30th and final choice of last year’s draft, making him the first player in his country’s history to be taken in the first round. Koponen averaged 18.4 points and 4.1 assists while shooting .565 from the field and .434 from 3-point range in leading the Honka Playboys — got to love that name — to the Finland Pro League title for the second straight year, earning most valuable player honors. “And there are some players over there,” Pritchard said. “It’s not a walkover league. To be 20 and win that award, it’s something.” Koponen and his coach, Mihailo Pavicevic, came to Portland early to prepare for the Las Vegas Summer League. The Blazers begin play on July 14, and Koponen will be part of their team. “He came early all on his own,” Pritchard said. “He wants to be here. He wants to prove to the coaches he deserves to be on the team next year, and he’s committed to becoming the best player he can be. One of the things that attracted us was his work ethic.”

#428 thumbs, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  9. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

So this is my first stab at a trade proposal, so the randomness may be magnified:

Trade among Houston, Phoenix, and Charlotte:

Houston trades Jackson to Charlotte
    Houston trades #25 pick to Phoenix
    Phoenix trades #15 pick, #25 pick, and D.J. Strawberry to Charlotte
    Phoenix trades Barbosa to Houston
    Charlotte trades Morrison and #9 to Phoenix.

So at the end, Phoenix gets #9 pick and Morrison; Charlotte gets the #15, #25, Jackson, and Strawberry; Houston gets Barbosa.

The reasoning, IMO, is that Phoenix has put Barbosa on the block. Barbosa can be the same sixth man here that he is in Phoenix. I can see him being in the lineup either with Shane on the bench and T-Mac at the 3 or subbing in for Rafer.

For Phoenix, the pick gives them 2 first rounders to dangle to Charlotte, who was not happy at all at picking as low as #9 (which I think is the lowest possible spot they could've gotten). Charlotte traded their pick (#8 Branden Wright) last year, too. Also, Charlotte wants someone to have down low to help Okafor, but the people they want aren't worth the #9 pick (Randolph and Jordan, who both are dropping according to some). Picking one of their guys at 15 makes more sense. Lastly, they get rid of Morrison, who Larry couldn't even name when he started coaching the team, and replace that body with Jackson (who's from the Charlotte area)--a veteran that could be more to Larry Brown's liking on such a young team.

Phoenix gets #9, drawing them closer to getting Westbrook, who they seem to be pretty hot after, as well as Adam Morrison, another potential shooter that could easily be set up by Nash.

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

that would be a sick ass lineup.

11. thumbs

Shades of Hottoddie! Where is the Hotster lurking these days? Does anybody remember his wild, memorable, fun Rube Goldberg trades that actually had validity?

12. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

who is hottoddie? I take it he proposed bogus trades?

13. Rocks4ever

Rocks4ever Contributing Member

Nice job on this...does the money work for this deal? The one concern with Barbosa is his toughness/defense, but that said, I think he fits Morey's mandate for more scoring and would thrive in the Adelman system.

14. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

Thanks. I tried this on ESPN. The deal puts Charlotte $200K over the cap--so that could be cash from the Rockets or Suns I guess. Other than that, the money works (thanks to Strawberry).

15. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

I also admittedly don't know how to factor in the value of draft picks on the trade machine, so the $200K figure doesn't include any pick value.

16. thumbs

You didn't read carefully. Hottoddie's trade proposals early in the millenium were works of art -- highly complex but win-win ... hence, the "validity" assessment.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Well, Carmelo is also on the team. Just pointing that out. I thought he was selected because the team was lacking three point shooters.

As for Redd, I would love having him on the team. He is severly overpaided but when drafted he was known as a defensive stopper. I think he can get back to that with more offense around him, but honestly I haven't seen him play much. He had some games that he totally torched us from the field.

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Alston & Head for Devin Harris!

Alston & Head for Devin Harris!

If we can have Harris on this team as starting point and Brooks coming out of bench, that will resolve the void on that position. Besides, rumors just got out that Richardson is being shop with the Lakers for Odom and you know they will need another player like Head that will come out of bench. Salary might work just fine. It looks like Nets will rebuild if they are shopping Richardson.

19. tsunami

tsunami Member

I like the idea but don't think NETS will take the deal. Fvvk all those fvvkers....

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

True, but consider that Carmello was far and away the mvp of the FIBA team. Perhaps the "ballhog" title is a result of bad coaching. (not a fan of Karl)

I bet these guys would thrive in a good system.