1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Summertime "Random Trade Idea" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 5, 2008.

1. flangehead1

flangehead1 Member

I got some idea from the Mo Williams thread.

Bob Jackson + Head for Mo
    Draft a center
    Resign Landry

Lineup

Yao/#25
    Scola/Landry
    Battier/Novak
    T-Mac/Francis
    Mo/Rafer

If we can pack francis and novak for a solid 2-3 backup, then

Yao/#25
    Scoal/Landry
    Battier/backup
    T-Mac/backup
    Mo/Rafter

The lineup is balanced on both side. A lot of people are saying Mo is selfish and weak on defense, however with yao and mac, mo won't chuck as much as he did in MIL. His inability to defend will also be covered our team defense, don't forget Battier.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I think Chuck Hayes is a fine backup PF, and we should trade either Scola or Landry for a good PG, or maybe a scoring backup anywhere in the 1-3 positions.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is a nice backup PF,he is the best defender of the lot but he has a lot of limitations on offense.It is an absolute must to have Scola on the team right now,especially because of Landry's injury history.We need a starting PG and a scoring 2-3 but we can't afford to weaken our 4 spot either.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

If only it was that easy to do what u said...

No way they will accept on BJax and Head for Mo...Even if you add Rafer in there they probably wouldn't accept it. I've long targetted Mo as our affordable PG upgrade, and I think to make it a more realistic trade we probably need to take back one of their many bad contracts.

Maybe something like

Rafer
    Bobby Jackson
    Luther Head
    Steve Novak
    2nd round pick

for

Mo
    Dan Gadzuric

Is that an appealing trade to the Bucks?

5. saleem

I see your point,but I don't think this will be appealing to the Bucks. Who knows I'm just speculating.

6. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

If you trade with the Bucks, you will have to trade Battier first, they want a consistent 3. Then you can add whatever because they also want a center that can bang around and get rebounds which we have two and neither one of them are going anywhere. You could offer Chuck, but he's not quite the size that they are looking for since they already have plenty of fours. I'm sure they are not trying to improve the whole team on one trade, but that might be what they are looking for. The Clippers are one of those teams. They don't know what to do with Livingston and if they can get someone else like Mo, they are more inclined to do it. They have a 3 in Corey which they can do a sign and trade with the Bucks plus they have other pieces that the Bucks might want, Kaman had a drop off this past year and he was injured meaning they might look to move him. The Clippers are eyeing Redd, but they may be insterested in Mo because of Shauns situation, if they don't offer him a contract by July 1, he becomes unrestricted.

7. saleem

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the Clippers salary cap situation is like after Maggette's opt-out.

8. flangehead1

flangehead1 Member

Personally, I want to get Mo without giving Shane, Landry, Scola. Anybody can work out a solution?

Maybe Brooks + #25 + Bob for Mo?

9. AXG

AXG Member

Just a random trade:

Rockets trade to Seattle:
    Aaron Brooks
    Shane Battier
    Luther Head
    25th pick

In excahnge for:
    Jeff Green
    Chris Wilcox
    32nd pick

It gives Seattle a young point guard for the future, a solid defender in Shane and 3 pt shooter in Luther plus a move up in the draft. The Rockets get an athletic swingman in Green and a solid backup center or power forward in Wilcox.

10. tharges

tharges Member

Their is a rumor out there that Phoenix is open to trading Barbosa for a 2nd round pick. If this is true we should be all over that, he is a good scoring option. Another one i covet is JR Smith i know he is a knuckle head but man can he score and on could possibly be had cheap.........I would target these two guys forget the Artest, Maggetties, Miller's they ain't coming......Look what we can afford and we still don't have to give up Battier. Work a trade with any other team to aquire a guard using Jackson/Head as bait. The return wont be great but you need the roster spots. You still have Francis in fold which i am not sure what the plan is there if morey primary concern is to get a PG based on the forum's input.

Thoughts? :confused:

11. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Barbosa is worth way more than a 2nd round pick. I pretty sure it would take Battier and the 25th pick just to get them to take a look. If he could be had for that I would pull the trigger. Barbosa provides depth and SG and PG solving 2 of our problems while creating one problem at SF. SF's are much easier to come by than combo guards of Barbosa's quality. We could use a filler at SF until the trade deadline and then package our expirings and a future pick or 2 for a significant SF.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I have to admit this has been one tough offseason for me to gauge since there are so many options for us to choose from:

Stand pat with minor tweaks
    Stand pat with major tweaks (Maggette, Mike Miller)
    Go crazy and try to land an Elton Brand type via S&T
    See if a Battier/B-Jax/picks package can net us a Michael Redd or Vince Carter type
    Upgrade the point at all costs (Hinrich, Terry, Mo Williams)

There are just so many different routes to take and while standing pat with the team that won 55 games without their best player for half of the season seems like the smartest route, I do subscribe to the "one player away then, one player away now" line of logic.

I believe in this team but at the same time we do have a somewhat concerning lack of scoring and athleticism. No matter how you slice it that is going to kill us against certain teams.

Are our starters good enough?
    Is our bench good enough?
    Can we really battle the West with Rafer/Brooks as our PG duo?

I'm not quite sure what to do yet and with the draft rapidly approaching that's a bad thing.

13. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Not a second round but they want a 1st. They would want at least a top 10 pick for barbosa, so like the person above said, they would mabye consider if we threw in Battier. They also said that they were willing to ship Diaw

14. Pete the Cheat

the rumor was for an additional first round pick in the teen-range. but I agree Barbosa is definitely someone I would target.

another target flying under the radar is James Jones who can opt out at the end of the month.
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/06/james_jones_and_his_portland_f.html
    considering we are strapped by the cap, this would probably require a S&T though.

both have (or are looking for) manageable contracts. jones is 6'8" and shot 44% from 3 on a team overstocked at SF.
    barbosa has a 7' wingspan and his credentials speak for themselves.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

jones wants to stay in portland and mcmillan said he wants to add more vets like jones with that i asume they will keep jones as long as he doesn't ask for more than the mle.

16. Glacier

Glacier Member

Random thought. Any possibilty of acquiring Hamilton from the Pistons? He would get a lot of open mid-range shots in the Rockets.

17. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Battier for Odom?

How about Battier for Odom?

Odom's value is low, and he did not have a good playoffs aside from the UTah series. Next yr with Bynum back, the Lakers will need more of a true defensive SF who can shoot. Battier fits that bill, and Lamar can do something we desperatley need, he can handle and create for others. I think a trade to consider !

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You must be a laker fan! :mad:

19. Earlee11

Earlee11 Member

Really??? this is a joke right? this may be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

20. krockets

krockets Member

Are you F***ing kidding me? Do you realize how Lakers lost? If this playoff shows anything, Battier's defense is definitely one of them.. If we want to win Championship, we need Battier MUCH MORE than the soft Odom.