1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need a backup SG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koby1868, Jul 8, 2010.

1. CHayesIsMyHero

no but allen iverson is hah jk. nate robinson would work, not sure how i feel about him though. i wouldnt mind j.j. redick. he cant play point guard, but i like him as the backup shooting guard. if taylor pans out then im all for it because he would be a perfect fit at the 2 being someone who can create. lowry can create but only to dish it off or to draw a foul, budinger cant really create, hill may have a little hook shot ready to go, hayes certainly cant, and have no clue about patterson. but anyways back to the backup 2 dilemma.... i think we need one if taylor isnt ready, but if he is then i like our team with the addition of miller or haywood. i think we can compete with anyone. our starting 5 is probably at least rated as top 5 in the league and our bench i would think is top 3 in the league.

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

We need a great SG, not a solid SG

3. CHayesIsMyHero

we already have a great sg in martin........

4. herro

herro Member

I was thinking Chase or JT will hold down those duties, but JJ Redick would be cool.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chase will never be a SG in this league.

6. worzel gummidge

One bad, should've been a post, thread after another by the OP.

7. herro

herro Member

Chased played an awful lot of minutes at SG in this league last year...

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Guys. Chase is an SG/SF.

He can play both positions, probably even point guard.

9. CHayesIsMyHero

If the nba was just starting and there were 30 Chase Budingers out there and each team had to take one of them and every team had to start him, each and every team would start him as a small forward. Budinger is a small forward and can be used as a shooting guard, but he is made to play small forward. AND THERE IS NO WAY HE COULD PLAY POINT GUARD!!

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not this topic again....

Think about this.

Kevin Martin is goign to play almost 40 mins a game. That means the back up gets no more than EIGHT MINUTES. are you telling me Jt can't handle EIGHT minutes? Id' trust him with 10-12 even. Not to mention Bud may get some minutes at the 2, so really JT would get 5 mins or so. The guy has been improving all year, maybe not by leaps and bounds, but has improved. Adelman thinks he can be a starter in this league and the guy just improved his jumpshot.

Yeah let's run out and pay 4 mill to someone else, so they can back up for 5 mins, makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

And budinger is NOT the clear cut back up at the 2. It's JT. Budinger is only sharing minutes there because he was better at the moment than JT. By the time Budinger works out all the kinks Battier will be gone and it'll be ariza/bud purely at the 3. By then JT willbe able to handle the back up 2 on his own.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chuck played an awful lot of minutes at Center last year.....

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why did we waste time to discuse so prolem ?

13. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

We need a backup center. Not a SG. I think we are good in that dept.

14. herro

herro Member

because he plays and guards the 5 more often than not

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Are we all ignoring the fact that he's suggesting Korver? "Thinks he's getting a pony" Kyle Korver.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You can't play Martin 40 minutes a game imo. 35 tops, maybe 40 in the playoffs.

But the need for a backup SG is for when Martin inevitably misses his 20 games due to injury. Our team last year was nails till we had nagging injuries and no depth to replace the production.

17. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

[​IMG]
    - $13,663,573
    =
    [​IMG]

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd like to see Chase starting at the 3. I'd like to see JT make progress at the back-up 2. If there's room on the roster for JJ Redick, I'd be happy to add him. But who knows what's going on?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is where VON fits in baby !

;)

DD

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You know, I was thinking about this. But ultimately, I think Ariza/Shane/Bud are all going to be sliding over to back up the 2 when necessary, and when there's a small, quick guy that needs to be covered, you can just play Brooks and Lowry together.

Really no need for a backup 2, I don't think.