1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Rockets need a backup SG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koby1868, Jul 8, 2010.

1. koby1868

koby1868 Member

I'm not sure why everyone is so set on trying to bring in a "great PF" when we have Luis Scola already? On top of that we have Jordan Hill who i expect to develope into a nice PF this summer and season. The rockets should be focusing on getting a solid SG to come off the bench. We've already made strides to bring Brad Miller over to back up Yao Ming which would be a great pick-up for Houston. We haven't had an actual center to back up Yao since Deke. Just to throw a few names and stats out there:

Ray Allen: He's getting old and it would be nice to bring someone in that has playoff experience and know's what it's like to win more than one playoff series. Plus he has a championship.
    PPG-16 APG-3 3PTM-2

Kyle Korver- I know we all hate the j*zz. But you can't deny the fact that the kid can shoot. Although he only played in 50 games, he shot 50% from the 3. I think it'd be a nice addition to the roster and it would allow that 2nd group to be a serious threat from the 3.

Mike Miller- He's not my first choice but i've seen his name pop up on here often. His numbers were decent but he'd have to understand that he's a bench player. He averaged 10 ppg and 6rpg in 33 minutes per contest. Not that impressive to me.

Who do you think we should go after and why?

If there is already something posted like this i'm sorry. Lock it if so.

1 person likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We don't need a back up shooting guard. It would be stupid to put Jermaine Taylor in the D-League this year. He has proven he can play in this league and we just need to give him some minutes and see what he can do with them. If he doesn't fit, let him go somewhere else. As well, Kyle Lowery will be playing a lot, putting Brooks at the 2 from time to time.

3. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Playing Brooks at the 2 makes not sense. He can hardly hold most of the point guards in the NBA. Jermain Taylor played well in some scrub minutes last season and had one solid game against the Lakers. He's a kid who did great in CUSA in college and won't amount to much in the NBA. His shooting is streaky, he attacks the basket well and that's about it.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ariza/Shane
    Martin/Chase

I think we're good. Those guys will get the majority of minutes at those positions. JT gets the leftover minutes.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Assuming Battier and Ariza are here, there are not enough minutes to go around to warrant signing another SG. Budinger and Battier will get most of the minutes at the 2/3 that Ariza and Martin don't get, as well as Brooks in situations that we go small with Brooks and Lowry on the court together. Jermaine Taylor could also end up getting minutes there.

6. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Chase is a SF not a SG. Plus if there are any trades to be made, i'm almost certain that Shane Battier will be shipped out. He's too old and has clearly lost a step or 2.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Bud/Taylor can backup sg. Not to mention Brooks when Lowry is in at point.

we need a backup center more than a backup sg.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Bud can play SG.

Just because espn has someone lsited at a certain position doesnt mean they cant play other positions.

9. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

how about lets give JT a chance. we should see what our guys are capable. He has shown some glimpses of solid play. I think he's due for an opportunity

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree with most, as of now, we are good at the SG spot. IF we trade Shane or Ariza then maybe go out and get a Korver or Miller but they will be EXPENSIVE, rather see what Taylor has learned this summer.

By the way, Ray Allen re-signed with Boston.

11. Garner

Garner Member

How about a Josh Childress?

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

pg and sg are the two positions on this team that worry me the absolute least... ab/lowry/ dleaguer for injuries, kmart/cbud/ taylor(if we trade battier or ariza then taylor can be first off the bench). Adleman just said not too long ago that he thinks Taylor can be a starter in this league. As long as we resign lowry, our biggest room for improvement would be and elite player at either forward position. In other words.. I disagree strongly :p

13. mazinger

mazinger Member

No we don't.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Budinger is the backup at SG. Period. Why is this even an Issue? Ray Allen is in Boston and Budinger maybe better than Korver this year and for ALOT cheaper. Chase is more of a 2 than Korver. Without any trades we're set.

1. Martin
    2. Budinger
    3. Taylor

15. CHayesIsMyHero

koby, finally somone agrees with me! i stated this on 610 and they ripped me for it. i also dont understand the need for a "better" power forward. the only reasons i saw us wanting another power forward was to get one that could also hold down the 5 when yao was resting. if we get brad miller i will be satisfied with the front court. i really think we need a back up 2. budinger is a 3, he plays like a 3, i dont care what he is listed, he is a natural 3, just like ariza is a natural 3, and so is battier. we only have two natural 2's in martin and taylor. idk maybe taylor has improved and is ready to be that primary backup, but i wouldnt mind having a legit backup at the 2 spot.

16. Garner

Garner Member

Ok great, now run a scenario in which we trade battier.

Are you confident in:

Martin/Taylor
    Ariza/Budinger

Because thats what you have.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We need a combo guard who can play backup SG or slide in as backup PG if Brooks or Lowry miss some time with injury. Is Francis available?!

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What is "the Scenario"? Who are we trading Battier for? How much are we paying the guy we traded for? What position does he play? Who else do we acquire in the deal? Complete the scenario, please.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Chase will be the backup sg. You can't afford to leave him on the bench every night due to the depth at SF. Shaen, Chase, and Ariza will all be getting plenty of time, so one of them will have to play sg, chase is best suited for it

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

We are only moving Battier or ARiza to upgrade another position and it would be a MAJOR upgrade so I would be okay with seeing how Taylor plays and if it doesn't work out then make a move for a backup SG at the deadline.