1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The march toward the $2000 smartphone isn't sustainable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I always I upgrade my phone every 3 years or so, but I always buy last year's model. I just recently got a Pixel 4a (with 5G)

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great, another Apple fanboy.

[​IMG]

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Feel free to ask the same question to an answer you can't understand every few years

::shrugs::

#43 Invisible Fan, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i have a pixel 2xl, relatively ancient but it does everything i need. it's my portable music server, most accessible camera and pre-covid caster. it's also the interface to my smart home appliances, monitors my router, smart wallet, etc. my cell phone is my most personal computer, even if i'm writing this on my equally ancient pc.

i forgot how much i paid but not much less than a grand. outside of the camera i could get the same functionality from a cheaper phone. the march to 2k$ is crazy but the dudes(ettes) who live on the cutting edge fund a lot of innovation so i aint hating.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here. The latest iPhones have cameras that amaze me. I’m sure the Samsung’s do as well. I’ll upgrade next year before we do a lot of traveling the pandemic prevented. I spent the equivalent of over two thousand dollars in today’s money in 1970 ($600 at the time) for my Nikon F with lenses. It shot fantastic images, but now I can just slip my phone out of my pocket and the images it takes are pretty damn good, especially with what you can do now with software.

The convenience of a cutting edge camera on a smart phone is really unmatched. Compare it to carrying around a leather shoulder bag with a camera body and at least 3 lenses, maybe a tripod, plus film, filters, etc. that could add up to more than a few pounds, which is what I did back in the day. The Nikon was not a light camera, especially compared to some of the competition then, like the Pentax Spotmatic, another good Japanese camera.

Nook and Astrodome like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The saying goes in photography. The best camera is the one you have with you.

Invisible Fan, Deckard and Astrodome like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My SO and I are still rockin' the NOTE 8. She wants a new NOTE 8 because the battery life is starting to diminish. I did an insurance claim when I broke my screen a few months ago so I feel like my NOTE 8 is new right now. I bet upgrading to the new version would be eye opening with the camera upgrades.

Deckard likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm all about the superwide lenses on all the new phones.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you think my question was?

Because that sure was not an answer.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just ordered a Galaxy S21 from best buy yesterday - they are $200-$300 off depending on the model which is why I pulled the trigger. This is usually the type of deal I wait for to upgrade, paying $550 instead of $800-$1000. I'm upgrading from a Pixel 2XL which has been a great phone. I'd easily go back to Pixel next time around, but for the money the S21 was more attractive than the newer Pixels with the better processing and video recording features (which I use extensively).

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny to me this article is asking if a $2000 phone is too much. I was saying this exact thing years ago when the top end phones started hitting $1000. Smart phones are a bit of a sore topic for me, really. I get paying that much for something that you need and that will last, but the idea of spending that amount of money on something that you fully expect to replace in 2 years boggles my mind. There are no other items in our lives that have that expectation. Appliances, televisions, cars, even computers (though their life is not quite what I would like either, but certainly better than 2 years). Even for people like me who are not using my smart phone for graphics or processor intensive activities, the battery life turns to crap right around the 1.5-2 year mark. So everything else may be good but it can't hold a charge. I've tried replacing batteries in those instances but somehow the phone is never the same. I will say that my experience on this topic is pretty limited to Apple phones.

These phone companies have done a good job convincing the general public that each year's upgrade is somehow worth purchasing. And as a result that's the main market they cater to, not folk like me who would rather have a phone the size of the old iphone 6, with a better battery life. I could give a crap if my phone has a photography-quality camera on it. Anyway, end rant.

jiggyfly and arkoe like this.
  12. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Companies will still get people to spend hat much because they'll just start 72 month payment plans on their devices. What they see is a measly $30 a month, and not $1,000+.

Bono and jiggyfly like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wait. There are people in this world that don’t have iPhones? Grow the **** up people.

Nook, jiggyfly and Jayzers_100 like this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah the Apple ecosystem is insanely convenient. I’m fully confident I will be buying iPhones as long as they keep making them

Nook likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What makes them more convenient than other ecosystems?

Not calling you out but I really would like to know what is different or what makes other phones not convenient.

To me it seems we are talking about milliseconds or seconds to do whatever you want on any phone.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have a daughter who’s a lead dev and won’t touch an OS device. Likes working with Android, plays games on her PC, and buys Samsung. My son works in animation and rolls only with OS devices. Says they’re cutting edge and always has an iPhone. I used to think I knew about this stuff and now when I have a problem I call one of them. It’s pretty convenient, actually.

Invisible Fan, jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I use my I-Phone for everything. It contains all of my law files, it contains all of my pictures, it contains apps to make communication untraceable. I use it for music, I use it for zoom meetings, I use it for storing all of my private and confidential information. I use it for books and podcasts. I use it for research. I have quite a few apps. I ultimately use it for everything.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Unlikely.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Shhhhh

Don't let him know.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Touche.

It makes tracing communication very, very hard to do....... and that suits my personal and professional needs.

jiggyfly and TWS1986 like this.