1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The march toward the $2000 smartphone isn't sustainable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/03/the-march-toward-the-2000-smartphone-isnt-sustainable/

I thought this article was interesting and was kind of surprised that 2000 dollar threshold had not been breached.

I have a question.

What do you actually do on your phone besides talk, text and do internet stuff?

I ask that because i wonder what percentage of these chips are people really using?

The only other thing I do with my phone is listen to podcast which is why I have no issue with an older phone, I will say it can be a bit slow sometimes and will not respond at odd times but 90% of the time it does what I want and I will trade that off instead of buying a phone 5 to 800 dollars more expensive.

I know game play is a big deal but what else do you do on your phone that makes you look at the specs and what type of chip it has?

I think it's just like a car that has all the bells and whistles and 450 under the hood but you will seldom go over a 100 anywhere.

I like all of the bells and whistles also but will buy used.

Sajan likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ramotadab, saitou, rockbox and 2 others like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Same reason why people buy a $3000 macbook to web surf.

ramotadab, Sajan and jiggyfly like this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Display tech.

OLED, HFR, HDR, etc.

I made a switch over from Galaxy S20+ -> iPhone 12 Pro and will buy the iPhone 13 whenever that comes out for the HFR. Although after that point I'm not sure if I'll upgrade.

Its a dumb hobby and a complete waste of money, but its inconsequential to my budget so...

I don't think I'd ever shell out $2k on a phone though. The Fold seemed too gimmicky and way too expensive for example. That being said, most people are shelling out $1300 which seems to be the new flagship price point so who knows maybe it becomes normalized.

5. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Camera is the biggest factor for me, and why I only use Pixels. Every year I try out the latest top line Samsung Galaxy but hate the way they process their photos.

Taking a lot of photos at once uses a lot of processing power. Pixel 5 is not using the latest top Snapdragon 8-series processor, and I've noticed that I can't infinitely hold down the shutter button compared to previous Pixels. Think there is a limit to how fast HDR photos can be processed.

This applies to me as well.

OmegaSupreme and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Games? Teens and kids are moving away from PlayStation and Xbox to mobile games they can play primarily on their phones. When they’re not playing games they are on YouTube, TikTok, or Discord.

Given the utility factor of mobile phones I would think Gen Z would consider it their most important possession and not blink at paying huge prices.

$2,000 does seem too much however.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're an avowed cheapskate so you have a bias here.

A lot of reasons for current cell phone prices are big inflation due to the way governments pumped non-backed trillions into the economy, and part demand/scarcity/price.

Moore's law stipulates that chips will double in power every two years, and software developers will take advantage of that power increase, meaning the old hardware becomes obsolete for applications.

Personally I upgrade when there's a good buyback plan around 3-4 years old.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I mostly upgrade phones for the camera. For me, the camera is worth 1K by itself.

TexasTofu, Deckard and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What am I biased about?

I don't fault anyone for spending on what they want, I have a real shoe problem so I know about buying things superfluously and had a real amazon problem before the covid.

I just wondered if anybody actually uses their phone to 70-80% capacity or what is the key feature.

The only reason I have not bought a 800 to 1000 dollar phone is because I drop them so much.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Mostly upgrade to the newest cell phone for the flex. Personally waiting for the Balenciaga smart phone so I can hit up the clubs in style. I just use Gmail on my phone.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Think they get away with it and I be fine with it. It's a TV, a computer, a camera, a library of information. It's a human extension of incredible value. and it saves time. You are literally buying time back.

cdain3, Jayzers_100 and Xerobull like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This very thing has gone through my mind a few times recently. My soon to be middle school son is on the precipice of "needing" a phone. And will be giving him my iphone pro max 11 and then proceed to get the newest one in September as I have always done every 2 years or so. I'm starting to think i do not need the newest I dont use this phone for games ever and truly dont take advantage of the camera.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I stopped buying phones every two or three years for this reason. I don't game on them, I do email, surf the Web, make phonecalls, etc., and I can do that with a myriad of phones. The main reason I stopped buying them that frequently happened when they started costing $700-$1000+ for the top models. I usually like to buy something higher-end so they won't be obsolete in terms of performance within a year or so, but now I just buy it and wait until I can't use it anymore (it breaks, won't hold a charge for long, slows down, etc.).

The other thing is, I started seeing very little reason for the jump in price of phones from around $600-$700 to $1200 other than "we want you to spend more". I'm not getting anywhere near another $500-$600 worth of phone in that jump, so why spend it? I have a Samsung Galaxy 9+ that I don't plan on getting rid of until it breaks, slows down, or some other forced reason.

ico4498, CCity Zero, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm on an S8, the only reason I'm considering a new phone is they announced end of security updates for it at the beginning of the month. Other than that it more than still meets my needs.

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’m the idiot that always finds a reason to upgrade every year...

Nook likes this.
  16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

This is a little bit of me. I admit to it being a dumb hobby. Usually two or three phones a year and after trades it's not at all costly.

I do calls, text, web browsing, social media, streaming, gaming, and camera.

I won't do a flexible glass display until the crease is straightened out. Only foldable I'd consider at the moment is a surface phone sequel. I dug the separate screens of the first, but other design choices left a lot to be desired.

Most I've spent on a phone is $1500. I'll go up to that again, but won't go more than that again after seeing how OEMS can optimize using mid-range chips.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Phillyrocket hit on the head. Teens and kids. With the advent of social media and no signs of it slowing down, a powerful phone can do more than call and text people will remain highly desirable.

Not sure how old jiggyfly is, and not to overstep in making an assumption, but older folks are less likely to care about the latest specs or camera or Snapdragon processor or whatever. Most people are content with simply calling and texting people, while browsing an app with no slowdown. However, people want to scroll through Instagram with no lag or have a bunch of apps open at once without it slowing down your phone. And, some people want to play games with the best specs.

Phones are also an investment, imo. I know it's a meme to replace your phone after a year, since a new model comes out that's sliiiightly better than what you have, but if you want the phone for 3 years, why not pay a premium for the best phone at that point in time?

Theoretically, a $1,200 phone should last you at least 3 years.

buffalobills!!! and Nook like this.
  18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I definitely don't use phones enough to spend 1300+ on them. The flagship phones just seem to expensive to me, and that's why I like the budget pixels, moto phones, etc. They do "enough" and is enough is all I need out of a phone (call, text, email, web surf, streaming a few movies while on the go, and maybe letting kids play some simple games).

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you need a 1200 dollar phone to scroll through instagram and who actually leaves multiple apps open on their phone?

I love my tech and like all the bells and whistles but my question is can't you get those things from mid level phones?

I can understand about gameplay but I have to think most gameplay is stuff like candy crush.

I have a very cheap phone and I can do all of that I might have a lag every now and then but its not like the phone is crashing or anything.

My point in making this thread was to find out if most people were doing things now days that needed these expensive phones that I am not doing.

No judgement, I buy a ton of **** I don't really need.

RedRedemption likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't understand the necessity of these high tech phones, either. I'm one who typically buys flagship phones and keeps them for 3-4 years, only replacing when there's a deal (BOGO or trade-in). My spending on a phone amortizes to $150/year.

You can make a phone more powerful but it'll never have the ergonomics or use of a true computer. Some day, I can see phones being able to dock to a true workstation. But for now, it's too costly for the average consumer in my opinion.