1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The difference between a superstar and a star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, Apr 25, 2009.

1. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

ya, tmac would destroy the Lakers. I could see tmac going to Chicago.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I could see Tracy McGrady, if he were to be traded, going to an Eastern Conference team just on the outskirts of the Playoff picture, like Charlotte or Indiana.

Or maybe New Jersey. ;)

3. blender

blender Member

I don't think McGrady's comment about Bryant is an acknowledgement that he himself is no longer at a superstar level. On the other hand, this is definitely an uncertain period for McGrady, as he doesn't know what will happen when he returns from surgery. He could come back as good as ever, a superstar, or he might never return. He just doesn't know.

4. JLovePG

JLovePG Rookie

Now Tmac is the half of himself.
    As to the difference between a superstar and a star......
    The best is only one !...... i think the man is in the heart of each person ......

5. Chamillionaire

the only team i think that has the pieces we need is the bobcats, boris diaz and augustine or felton would help us a lot with the motion offense. i'd be willing to part with mac for a great post player who can pass and also a pg who can hit perimeter shots and also distribute the ball to the right players at right places.

6. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

yeah i think charlotte makes alot of sense. tmac could hang with mj.

BUT, what if tmac can return to even 06 or 07 form? then we basically get jipped and lose our peak potential.

7. roksoer

roksoer Member

check their record last year and their record this year and ask yourself again

8. ozy615

ozy615 Member

I do hope Tmac can go to Lakers next season. Then the Lakers have to fight hard to pass the first round. Tmac is distructive to any team.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

It depends on the type of superstar. If you have the "franchise" type of superstar (Hakeem, Duncan, KG, LBJ, Howard etc) then maybe. If you have the "closer" type of superstar (Kobe, Dwade, CP3) then not so much. Lakers had a mediocre record before Bynum and were just considered average before Gasol.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is what I think too. With most of his athleticism gone, but his IQ and passing still intact, I see him finishing out as a point guard, and Phil has always been enamored with tall point guards dating back to Ron Harper and Brian Shaw (sad that it's come to these comparisons for a t-mac that would only be 31).

ron harper still D'ed up though, so you have to wonder if phil would be willing to start tracy at the 1, and if not, if he would be willing to come off the bench.

i really think it's the most obvious fit. look for some feel-good ESPN peices about how tracy reinvented himself from a superstar scorer to a roleplaying point guard to win a title next to his mentor/idol, kobe bryant.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is not a question of if TMAC can come back Physically. . . . I don't think he can. I don't think *ANYONE* has come back from MicroFracture Surgery to there same level of physicality.

The question is Mentally.
    Not on the confidence and swagger
    but
    TMAC will have to change his game.

He has never been a running gunner
    [TMAC IMO has been kind of bad on a fast break cause he seems
    to always trot rather than go full out]

The Point forward maybe his role.

Rocket River

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Tmac has never been the best player in the league. There was a time he was the best scorer but that is a far cry from best player. He may have been the most talented for a short while but never the best. The best produces victories. Tmac just produces moments. Moments of amazement, moments of unbelievable. Tmac earlier in his career did the kind of things that sale jerseys and get shoe deals. Kids follow him in awe and owners trade for him. But in the end all teams find Tmac is not a wiiner He is a loser.

13. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Kobe and LeBron are the only two superstars in the league.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he beat kobe in MVP votes in 02-03 and had more all-nba votes than he did. he was the best perimeter player for a "brief" period. but like you said, he just didn't have the motivation all the time, along with injuries, to sustain it.

15. rocketshopeful

Wade.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There have been players who have said they thought Kobe was the best, but when you're his competitor and play the same position and people consider you just as talented as him, it's pathetic to just say he is the best. It's even worse when you predict that you're team is going to lose to his team. That's the problem I have with McGrady, he is afraid to be the best. He acts like he is afraid to compete with Kobe, which is a shame. I'd rather have someone who has the drive to be the best and win championships.

17. Super Von

Super Von Member

It is lack of confidence.

If he could still do the same things he used to he wouldnt have his nose stuck in Kobe's ass.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

In my mind, a star is a guy who can put up points in bunches and usually look good doing it, and also put fans in the seats. Examples:

Rashard Lewis
    Gilbert Arenas
    B-Diddy

A superstar is someone who will regularly will his team to victory by sheer force of talent and personality in clutch situations. Examples:

LeBron
    D-Wade
    Kobe
    Duncan

Where does T-Mac fall? Somewhere in-between. When he's healthy, he's a star most of the time and a superstar on occasion. The proble is that REAL superstars (like the above) perform like that more often than not.

#38 topfive, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  19. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yea the old Tracy was something special to watch, but over the years hes lost a lot of confidence. I don't think he will have get that confidence back the way he had in when he felt like he was the best player in the game. The way he plays now its just like he don't believe he can do what he want on the court anymore.

20. Naismith

Naismith Member

"The difference between a superstar and a star"

The ability to display consistency the difference between playing within the coaches system by letting other players hopefully show they talents by also playing team ball and when it is absolutely necessary to totally take over the game with the end results being a win.

Only two players in NBA history have shown this, Russell and Jordan

naismith