1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The difference between a superstar and a star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, Apr 25, 2009.

1. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

This has been on my mind for quite a while but I kept forgetting to post this thought so as to discuss with the board.

This is not a bashing thread so please dont take it that way.

I remember the first few years when Tmac was here, interviewers always asked him "who do you think is the best player in the league". Tmac has ALWAYS responded with "nahh I aint going to say anyone is better than me". I hope I am not the only one who remembers this, but darn when I heard that I was like "thats my man, we can rely on him to carry us" (lets ignore that we have a different coach and a different game plan and that we dont need to rely on any one player).

I am all for team ball, but I always liked to know that there is someone on our team who could carry us when we get to the really really tight spot.

The changing point was last season when Tmac responded with "Kobe man, he is the best..he does everything" (or something like that). and again this season, which we saw in the most recent interview.

Is this a sign that he has lost his drive and his confidence that he return to the top, or is this a sign that he is more realistic?

Eitherway, I miss the old swagger and arrogance. Do I want it to come back? Yes, well only if he has the skills to match.

2. Chamillionaire

a player that makes the team elite, and a player who can do some aspects of the game well
    kobe, lebron, KG, TD, Dirk vs. Caron Butler, Devin Harris, Baron Davis, and so on.

3. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

No my point was in my post.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Always thought this theory was an excellent way to differentiate this. It is not the only way, but I thought it works very well.

Its the Gold Medal Superstar Theory...Here are the links since its way too much stuff to post into the thread:

part 1
    part 2
    part 3

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have a feeling he's planning on joining the Lakers after next season. He seems way too enamored with them.

6. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Do you think his change in response is a sign of his lack of confidence?
    You dont see any of the top players claiming someone is better than them even if they are.

7. durvasa

I don't really agree with that. Lots of top players have openly declared Kobe the best player in the league, and many did the same with Jordan or Hakeem. Usually, it's a younger players that shows deference to an older player. McGrady and Kobe are peers, age-wise, so maybe that's why he was hesitant to call him the best. I think at this stage, McGrady realizes he isn't going to get anywhere close to the level Kobe is playing at, so he can safely call him the best player.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I thought this was going to be about Yao since Tmac isn't even playing anymore o_O You know, like Superstars don't have such big weaknesses as being able to be taken out of games so effectively by fronting. There's only about 3 true superstars in the league. Kobe, Lebron, and Wade. Players that can do pretty much everything and bring it every night.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

My understanding is that McGrady and Kobe were friends long before they hit the NBA, used to hang out and stuff. That's why people shouldn't be surprised when they see him chatting and laughing with Kobe in the hallway before a game at TC or praising him about being the best in the NBA.

I think OP does have a point that his willingness now to defer to Kobe as the best player in the league shows that he is not as confident in his abilities as he once used to be, but you wouldn't really expect anything else from someone like McGrady who is literally always honest to a fault.

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

If McGrady does rehab 100% and is motivated, I can see him regaining his form from last season.

I would be really scared if we do some trade with the Lakers that would send McGrady for Odom...

11. durvasa

Interesting. I did not know that.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

superstar - you put a superstar on a team with ANY player -> playoffs. any other player, no playoffs. you surround them with talent -> championship. basically a tell-tell sign of a superstar is: you cannot deny that player of getting his and dominating the game most of the time, regardless if you throw the kitchen at the guy.

star/all-star - very good players with great player potential, but just don't have that all-around game to reach that superstar level. they can easily be negated with great defense. a joe johnson fits perfectly here.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they used to be REALLY close. i remember tmac was so homesick when he played in toronto and really was depressed in his rookie year (and the main reason he left toronto to return to orlando to be near his family). and kobe would hang out with him a lot, take him out, play video games... there's a reason tmac's admiration of kobe is sky high, besides the respect for his game.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I think it's safe to say Yao will end up as a Bronze Medal Superstar, or a borderline Silver Medal Superstar. Morey needs to surround him with a couple of other Silver Medal Superstars or one Gold Medal Superstar in the coming years.

15. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

I guess with professional sport stars, you can be best friends with them, but still claim you are the best.

What I was trying to convey in my initial post is that the change in mentality of Tmac is what scares me the most. I have always been a firm believer that if he is healthy and he is driven, he is still in the elite. If you are not as athetic as you use to be, but still have the drive, you will find other ways. aka Jordan during the 2nd peat

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't think it matters what you say as long as you produce superstar numbers.

From Wiki

"I give him all the respect in the world. He is the No. 1 player in the league, by far. It’s like that. With a player like him, he just wants that challenge. He’s just that fierce competitor. He doesn’t want to get out-showed. He’s the one who everybody’s afraid of." - w:Gilbert Arenas

"I think Kobe Bryant should be at the top of the (MVP) list. His game is unstoppable." - w:Amare Stoudemire

"He's definitely the best player in the NBA -- to me. I don't know if winning the (MVP) award is important to him or not. But he has three (championship) rings and that's what it's all about." - w:LeBron James

17. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Did Lebron James say that this season?

You cant really compare gilbert arenas and amare with kobe, but at one point in time you could compare tmac with kobe...(I am not living in the past) but I rank Tmac's potential for a lack of a better word as higher than either of them.

18. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

i really cant see tmac going to the lakers. tmac and kobe both need the ball as part of their games, tmac more so.

i may be in the minority, but i think tmac WILL be a star in this league again and will make an all star game at some point, even if its only like once. i see him going back to the eastern conference for a team like charlotte that needs a veteran talent. maybe.

19. ibm

ibm Member

you need to think about this definition maybe twice.

when did kg make his team elite when he was alone in minny? after shaq left and before gasol went to the lakers, kobe's team wasn'e exactly elite, either.

also, is the current heat team an elite team? i think not. so does it mean wade is no superstar material?

20. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Kobe is the best player in the league.