1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Ariza/Lee Trade -- Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Aug 11, 2010.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about the Ariza/Lee deal?

1. I like the trade, because I think it makes us better

22.8%
  2. I like the trade, provided it allows us to make a run at a big-money star

13.3%
  3. I'm indifferent/I like the trade, because it makes us no worse while saving money

32.6%
  4. I dislike the trade, because it makes us worse

11.8%
  5. I dislike the trade, because we should have gotten more for Ariza

10.9%
  6. I like the trade, for no reason other than in Morey I trust

8.6%
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'm a secondary Nets fan. I was trying to find some videos of Lee playing a 2man game with Lopez in the high post. Lee moves very well without the ball and makes himself an easy target for the pass. I ran into a highlight video of him that shows some of that give and go. It also shows that this man has ups and can finish around the basket

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBe8uzI6wg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBe8uzI6wg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He is no slack on defense either. He just plays with a great work ethic on defense. I'm telling you...this guy is a better fit on the Rockets.

My only concern is that 3 spot is shaky since Lee is more of a true 2

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm not so sure about this trade. I haven't seen Lee play much, but I trust Morey and Hitler's judgments.

Also, isn't Lee another SG in a PG's body? The dude looks like he's Rafer's height.

[​IMG]

The Rockets have a thing for undersized players for their positions it seems.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He's 6'5. Rafer is 6'2, and that picture looks as if Lee is 3 inches taller

4. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Damn, now I have to change my signature....

5. PeppermintCandy

Although I hate to see Ariza go, I like the trade.

It balances out the roster and gives us a legitimate backup SG with (from what I've read) both offensive and defensive skills. It gives Budinger the opportunity to have a big season as the backup small forward.

Just as importantly, the trade gives Morey a $6.3 million trade exception to play with. What he does with the TE could turn a slightly above average trade into a great one.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hate the trade...I never really saw backup SG as a problem or hole. Thought Martin, Battier, Ariza, Budinger, Taylor could just kind of fill the 2 and 3 by committee. I don't think Lee improves on that arrangement at all.

Not only do I think we failed to fill a hole, but I think we managed to create one at SF because I don't think Battier or Budinger are good starting small forward options. Battier gives you so little on the offensive end, and his game has been consistently deteriorating the past five seasons. Budinger has not done enough to prove he deserves starter's minutes. You also cannot start him under any circumstances with Martin. Our perimeter defense will be too weak. The funny thing is I would actually have the rotation as Ariza/Chase/Battier beforehand. However, since I don't want Chase starting next to Martin, Battier leaps from third string to first string. Great.

I'm pretty sure Adelman was going to be starting and playing Ariza 30 + minutes a night just like he did all last season, because of what he brings over Shane and Chase. Yet we traded him for a guy who is likely to get no more than twenty minutes a night...off the bench. Really don't see how this makes the Rockets better.

#166 DCkid, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You guys are really misreppin Ariza's season. The team ASKED him to be a creator and work on his game earlier in the season. He wasnt out there forcing shots the team wanted him to. I dont think he was given a chance to fit in with a full compliment of players. He's a spot up shooter, and with Yao down low he would've made a KILLING this year. I just think Morey should've been more patient with Ariza. This was clearly a midseason move that could've been put off...

8. worzel gummidge

There are advantages to this trade but people are making out like the $10M the Rockets saved was not a major part of it.

9. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I really like the trade! We got a smart, good shooter, who can knock down mid & long range shots! Also, I think he is a good defender, who can defend 1, 2's, & some 3's. SPLASH! Plus, we got 6.5 million trade exception. I was NOT really impressed with Ariza, & I guess Morey wasn't either, hahaha! :cool:

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Others are making out like the Rockets are unwilling to use that $6M trade exception to better the team, or to use the $10M saved to continue to buy picks like they have year after year.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I like it... I was ok with Ariza, I think he still had room to grow and would`ve been much better alongside Yao.

But we had 3 quality 3s and only 1 quality 2. Morey believes in Budinger, and so I guess it was a no brainer.

And I think some of you may be surprised by Lee. As I remember him he is basically a younger Kevin Martin - not quite the touch on the long ball, but way better defense. He can develope in a borderline All-Star.

I´d say we have perhaps the most balanced team in the entire league now. If Yao can be a superstar again, we will be real scary. If not we´ll have to hope we can develope some Detroit like chemistry - and that our Offense can keep up with our poor defense...

12. PeppermintCandy

With the offensive options we have in the other four spots of the starting lineup, Battier is the best option for the starting SF position: he's the ultimate team guy who can hit the open 3's, can defend the opposing team's best perimeter player, and knows how to play D with Yao and make the entry passes into the low post. I thought he was a better fit with Yao and the starters than Ariza would've been.

Battier's age and physical decline has been greatly exaggerated IMO. I think people will find that Shane's got a lot more left in his tank than they believed.

13. DCkid

I don't know...with Ariza you get pretty much get the same thing, plus an extra six points a night since he gets some slashing to the basket. Ariza also is a better re bounder and gets more assists. With Ariza's length and 7'2" wingspan, I don't think he'd have much problem passing to Yao. Definitely downgraded the small forward position.

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

Ariza: 6-8, SF, 24years-old, 3yr at 6m each

Lee: 6-5, SG, 24years-old, 1yr at 1.3m

With Chase Bud approved him can be a rotational player, we got a solid backup SF in Chase, while trading for a solid backup SG in Courtney, I say great job DM.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

What did you think when we traded the starting PG of a 50+ win team, who played 30+ minutes a night, for a guy likely to get no more than twenty minutes a night... off the bench?

Thiiiink. Harder.

16. DCkid

That doesn't make any sense...we traded for a player at the same position, and had a replacement ready-to-go in Brooks. We did not create a hole with that trade as we have with this one. :confused: What are you trying to say?

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Lee and Ariza are both wings, and Budinger could be a replacement.

I've been travelling all day, and so can't really reach a thought on it for now. I don't have anything to think, as I just wait for us to play games.

18. DCkid

Assuming Martin is a long term player, do you really think it's wise to have two weak defenders starting?

I wasn't aware Lee had ever played the three.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Keep thinking.

The Rockets didn't run Charlie the unicorn out there as their starting SF all those years before Trevor, and they won't have to after Trevor. Last time I checked, we still have that guy on the roster. One of the captains in fact. Ready-to-go.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is not like two years ago. With all the offensive weapons we have now, we really don't need Ariza's offense. It would be better if the shots go to Brooks, Martin, Yao, or even Scola. Battier is perfect as the 5th option camping out at the 3pt line and be ready to run back for transition defense. (Both Martin and Brooks can penetrate pretty well.) And Battier is at least as good a defender as Ariza. I think he is better.