1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ariza/Lee Trade -- Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Aug 11, 2010.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about the Ariza/Lee deal?

1. I like the trade, because I think it makes us better

22.8%
  2. I like the trade, provided it allows us to make a run at a big-money star

13.3%
  3. I'm indifferent/I like the trade, because it makes us no worse while saving money

32.6%
  4. I dislike the trade, because it makes us worse

11.8%
  5. I dislike the trade, because we should have gotten more for Ariza

10.9%
  6. I like the trade, for no reason other than in Morey I trust

8.6%
  1. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Freeing up salary cap space is fine, but it didn't seem like any "superstars" were anxious to come here this time around...too sketchy for someone moving who wants to win now when Yao and management can't even get on the same page regarding how his foot is rehabbing. I still support Yao, but I think the lure of a potentially dominant Rox is fading in the eyes of other players....the future is now and it ain't lookin' too bright in my opinion, but I hope I'm wrong.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I got traded to a crappy team. What the heck do you want me to say? I am just glad I'm out of that dump now.

-- C. Lee

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Courtney Lee, I want to see more of this...(specially against Miami)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEwf9uj8d0I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEwf9uj8d0I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

--RB

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

And I cringe everytime I see everyone say that this is a downgrade defensively. You'd think that by now people would have learned to not confuse highlight-reel steals and breakaway dunks with "good defense". Trevor was a mediocre defender at best, and for every steal he got by gambling on a passing lane, there were at least two layups or shooting fouls given up by him making the same gamble and getting caught out of position. Other times you didn't even notice the effect because someone else, usually Shane Battier or Chuck Hayes, was scrambling to cover up for his mistake.

Lee is going to be a much better defender than Trevor was. The SportsCenter fans aren't going to get nearly as many steals and breakaway dunks and they'll think otherwise. I'll be satisfied with more notches in the W column.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I thought Ariza had shown marked improvement throughout the season and would fit well alongside Yao with his spot-up shooting ability.

However, I didn't like his attitude at all, so I'm not sad to see him go. Courtney Lee is probably just as good, anyway, both defensively and offensively... and a lot cheaper.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Don't forget to ask him what it was like to be starting in the NBA Finals the year prior to that, smart guy.

7. rocketschamp3

rocketschamp3 Member

i thought we wanted granger?I thought morey wanted granger?

8. Eddie281Houston

i like courtney lee...i saw hi play for magic last yr saw him so many times...ariza was a douchbag anyways...did the article said who ariza got in to an argument? :confused:

9. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I actaully didn't think he was that efficient as a scorer. His numbers are certainly respectable even though his 3% dipped last season. I expect that number to go back up considering he will have an easier time getting off his shot. I always hate losing size (6'5 is too short to play SF) but with Yao back I gues its less of a concern as last season.

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I think financially speaking the trade is a win for the organization and in the basketball talent perspective the trade is a wash at worst. I remember Morey wanting to trade up to pick up Courtney Lee in the draft a couple of summers ago but couldn't get anything worked out. So their scouts obviously see potential in him.

11. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

There goes the defense. I guess we don't play defense anymore. Gonna score 120 points a game!

12. Prince

Prince Member

I like Ariza's hustle and D but offensively he ws just feeling Kobe all the time. What the h3ll, we got Battier still.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I don't get why Clutchfans always complains whenever Morey makes a trade when we all know that later we will appreciate this trade. I know we lost Ariza and most of you guys are crying about we need length against the Lakers but how bout we make it past the first round first, then we can talk.

BUt Lee is a good trade because the Rockets have some cap room relief for a bigger trade later. This also gives the Rockets that scoring off the bench since the departure of Von Wafer. Courtney Lee has potential to be very good also. Trust Morey's decision. He knows what he's doing. This trade is just another small step for a bigger trade.

I don't know why everyone fussing over how we need Ariza for his size to matchup against the Lakers. I mean the Lakers are indeed a big team but its mostly Gasol and Bynum that are long. Ariza is a SF and the person he's guarding is Ron Artest. We don't need Ariza. We just need a big man that can bang with the Lakers big, not a 6'8 SF.

Ariza is a decent SF and he's nothing special really, just a above average defender. But the Rockets overpaid him and they're just erasing their mistake. I think Morey made a right decision here because the Rockets have a young SG who can bring some scoring off the bench and the cap relief to make a bigger trade for a star.

14. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Not saying Lee is bad player, but there is no chance he is better than Ariza.

I 'm fan I don't give damn about how much money team save.

And by the way, OP you should open a new account.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Profile courtney Lee

“Defensively, Lee’s team plays a lot of zone, making him a little tougher to evaluate, but you could clearly see how intelligent he is with everything that has to do with awareness and positioning on this end of the floor. In the man to man setting, he puts really nice pressure on the ball, and has really pesky hands, as his 3.2 steals per game this year so far would indicate. He’s even blocking a decent amount of shots, thanks to his superb timing, activity level, and also his nice physical profile (he has an NBA body already.)”
    - NCAA Weekly Performers, 12/05/2007 -- Part One

“On the defensive end, Lee has great raw tools and a solid fundamental base, getting into a good defensive stance and almost always playing up on his man in man-to-man defense. He shows good lateral quickness and instincts as well, though he’s not a lockdown defender, as he can be beat. He also uses his length and athleticism to disrupt in the passing lanes, averaging 1.5 steals this past season and 2.6 the season before. The biggest gripe to be had with his defense at this stage is that he can get caught out of position when his man doesn’t have the ball, but he’s not much worse there than the average 22-year-old prospect.” –

More often than not, the biggest adjustment for players entering the league is on the defensive end, due to the enhanced speed of the game. For Lee however, he’s had a fairly smooth transition on this side of the ball and has proven that he has a chance to become an elite defender in this league. Surely things are a bit easier with the NBA’s defensive player of the year patrolling the paint, but Lee’s attention to detail, effort, and athleticism have made him a pest to go up against.

There were question marks about Lee’s size prior to last year’s draft, but because of his toughness and ability to compete at a high level, he’s able to overcome any limitations. He has a solid frame, playing much stronger than he looks. He fights through screens, competes in the post, maintains good a stance on the ball and displays good lateral speed.

As a help defender, Lee possesses great anticipation skills, although they can be seen as a weakness at times. He can get caught watching the ball - overplaying passing lanes and almost acting like a free safety, again due in large part to Howard’s influence. With that said however, he’s bouncy and alert and is able to close out well and help on rotations. As a result, he’s averaging 1.6 steals a game, per 40 pace adjusted, 15th in our database amongst shooting guards.

Overall, our prediction of Lee has come to fruition, and he’s even exceeded our lofty expectations to a certain extent. He brings many great intangibles to a team and has found his niche as a lockdown defender and a savvy offensive player. His value goes well beyond numbers and it’s going to be interesting to watch him develop in the coming years.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Please explain how Ariza is better than Lee? Lee is younger, cheaper, better offensively, and about as good on D.

17. liljojo

liljojo Member

Looks like were going to see a lot more of Bud this year. :)

18. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I have a horrible headache after reading that "sentence."

Ariza got in an argument? Huh?

19. redao

redao Member

We've gotten some of that knowledge from Ariza who actually won the ring, which Rocket do not even want.

20. redao

redao Member

Ariza got 5.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.8 steals
    Lee got 3.6 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals