1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ariza/Lee Trade -- Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Aug 11, 2010.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about the Ariza/Lee deal?

1. I like the trade, because I think it makes us better

22.8%
  2. I like the trade, provided it allows us to make a run at a big-money star

13.3%
  3. I'm indifferent/I like the trade, because it makes us no worse while saving money

32.6%
  4. I dislike the trade, because it makes us worse

11.8%
  5. I dislike the trade, because we should have gotten more for Ariza

10.9%
  6. I like the trade, for no reason other than in Morey I trust

8.6%
  1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Indifferent. I think it's a slight downgrade to the overall roster trading a starter for a backup, but Lee might be a better trade asset due to contract. Whether he'll actually be used in a trade is another matter.

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

This thread is kind of funny to me. There was so much Ariza hate going around last season, but now that he's traded everyone's upset about it.

This is a good trade. It saves us money and Lee is no scrub. We got a competant shooting guard, and now we can give Bud more minutes at SF.

Well done Morey, as always.

3. redao

redao Member

Saved tons of money and the team got much worse.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well I don't really understand it. You give a guy 5 year deal and you trade him after his 1st year? And I am not really sure that Lee would be better. We'll see.

The good thing: MORE CHASE!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My guess is Ariza's minutes will largely go to Chase, with some going to Lee. I'm thinking Battier will stay the same as last year - there's more availability, but he's another year past his prime.

Season Averages
    Ariza last year (36 mpg): 15 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.75 spg
    Battier last year (32 mpg): 8 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 0.8 spg
    Chase last year (20 mpg): 9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.5 spg
    Total: 32-13.3-3.0

But that is a little misleading, since Martin had a big impact on the rotation (Ariza and Battier no longer starting together minutes)

March last year
    Ariza (33 mpg): 12 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2 spg
    Battier (28 mpg): 6 ppg, 5 rpg, 2 spg
    Chase (18 mpg): 8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0 spg
    Total: 26-13.5-4.0

Lee (20 mpg, projected): 8 ppg, 2 rpg, 0.8 spg
    Battier (25 mpg, projected): 6 ppg, 5 rpg, 0.7 spg
    Chase (25 mpg, projected): 11 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.7 spg
    Total: 25-10.5-2.2

...so not a massive loss, especially if Yao, Miller, Patterson, and Hill help make up the dip in the boardwork.

Another nicety is switching out Ariza's notorious 32% 3-point shooting with Lee's career 37%.

6. redao

redao Member

Wait our Chinese friends wake up. It will change.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why did the team get much worse?

At worst, this is a slight downgrade. I'm not sure Lee is worse. He is a very good defender and a bit more efficient on offense.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Downgrade on defense.

downgrade on height and length.

similar 3p% numbers.

might mean the end to seeing Brooks and Lowry on the floor at the same time which sucks.

Saved Les 10 million dollars.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

WTF?

it's a done deal and $$ aside, has this team gotten better? I dont' think so...of course, i'm not saying Trevor was the best, but he was the best option given the talent out there...

10. Dream Shake 81

11. Nguyen24

Nguyen24 Member

We have lost our perimeter defense, can't compete against heat or Lakers now.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's hard for me to like this deal right now. I really thought Ariza would fit in and complement Yao this year. Last year he was clearly playing out a role that he did not fit as a primary scoring option, prior to the Martin deal, but with Martin his efficiency went up considerably, and odds are it would have continued to do so with Yao in the line up. Lee is not a bad player, and perhaps he will grow on me with time. But my initial thought is that Collison was the best player who was traded, followed by Ariza and then Lee. I would have preferred giving up Battier just due to age instead.

While there is merit in saying that Morey hasn't made any major mistakes yet, if Ariza who was a Morey signing becomes a salary dump after one season, then either the initial signing of Ariza or this trade was a mistake. Unless you are of the opinion that Lee is an upgrade over Ariza, which as of right now I am not.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Trevor Ariza could have been assassinated and it would not have made the team "much worse." Ariza is a competent role player and that's it. He obviously wasn't much on the offensive end, and aside from a good game against Kobe in LA that I'm sure he was extra-hyped up for, I don't recall him shutting anybody down last year.

As it is, we freed up minutes for Budinger, whom the team clearly believes is the future at the 3, and filled a hole at the backup 2 (yes, Taylor was a hole).

That's in addition to saving $28 million over the next few years and ensuring that trading for a long-term max player does not lock the Rockets into paying well over the luxury tax for the next 3-6 years.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lee fits into what the Rockets are trying to do. He is more efficient and a much better FT shooter.

This gives us more flexibility. Let's go get Granger!! :p

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Save money + improve the bench while maintaining the same productivity in the starting lineup?

I can't see anything wrong with that.

It does somewhat hurt our perimeter defense that could be extremely valuable against Miami... but I can live with that.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they just got point guard to help Granger. Same goes for Paul.

I think Morey is after Iggy.

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I bet this sets up another move.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There's no way in hell we're getting Granger now.

But I do think getting Iggy is a STRONG possibility.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We still have Shane to guard Kobe when we play the Lakers and he will also be holding Lebron when we play the Heat. I don't think we could have had Ariza and Battier on the court at the same time for any significant amount of time against the Heat because we would be sacrificing way too much offensive against a team that is likely to be one of the best scoring teams in the league.